Tackled the Spark Plugs Tonight...

highvolts

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Ohio
Well, I decided to tackle the dreaded spark plugs on my 2007 GT today. Success!

For those people that do not know, the 3 valve Mustangs, F150’s, or other vehicles have a Ford 3 valve engine in it is prone to having carbon build up on the spark plug shield that sits inside the cylinder head. If too much carbon builds up, it is possible for the two piece plug to separate when removing the plug and leave you in a sticky situation that may potentially cost you some money and a trip to a dealer.

EDIT: Hoboattacker has a good thread started about Late 07 and 08 stangs and their updated plugs!http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=745436

Let me first say that some people shy away from doing this because there is a possible risk that there is already too much carbon on the plug and you could break the plug on a perfectly working car.

My GT has 18,365 miles on it and I only had second thoughts about doing this one time. The number one cylinder gave me a little bit of a fight coming out. I only used a 1/4” socket wrench, so I was able to limit the amount of torque I applied. I let it sit with a little bit more of the penetrating fluid and it came out without any issues.

I followed the TSB to the letter: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/fad/tsb/06152.pdf

I was sure to use a lot of air from my compressor to ensure there was absolutely zero dirt in the spark plug well before I squirted it with penetrating fluid.

Below are some photos of before, during, and after I removed them and cleaned them. I did not take pictures of the application of the nickel anti-seize.

Plugs right after removal and before cleaning:
2399057611_b7446e8134.jpg

During cleaning:
2399059335_5705ae5b9f.jpg

After cleaning, before Nickel Anti-Seize and re-installation:
2399060755_0d1af13cc3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting...I need to do the same work soon. If you were to replace the spark plugs are there any recommendations? Might be nice to have a fresh set ready to go whenever you get ready to swap.

Also had anyone spent the time to index their plugs? If so where did you end up putting the electrode 90, 180, 270, etc.?

Nice post thanks!:nice:

Interesting...I need to do the same work soon. If you were to replace the spark plugs are there any recommendations? Might be nice to have a fresh set ready to go whenever you get ready to swap.

Also had anyone spent the time to index their plugs? If so where did you end up putting the electrode 90, 180, 270, etc.?

Nice post thanks!:nice:

As far as a replacement, I know there is a champion one and I think there might be a new autolite that is put in late 07, and 08 cars.

I didn't even want to spend the time to index these.

-Jason

Just so people know, the 08's have a different type of spark plug. It is the more conventional spark plug that is not the 2 piece; it is now a 1 piece set. From what I'm hearing from Livernois, they haven't seen this consistently yet to be sure if it is all of them (I think) but if this is true, there may be a fix for the earlier guys in the form of new heads if you ever do build a motor.

I have 49,000 miles and was going to change my plugs on my car for the first time. You guys think that i should just take it to the dealer and let them do it or try to do it myself. I have priced the dealer and they told me $140. I already have the plugs autolight HT0

Great post! Good news that yours all came out without breaking:nice: I would easily spend the amount of time you did if not more to try and ensure no major problems arise!
I've done most of the mods(all except mufflers, H pipe & gears)on my car myself and most of the time it exceeds the estimated time, but they have been trouble free:nice:
The only reason I didn't do the muffler swap on my car was due to only having it two weeks and not on here much at all and I had no idea they were bolt on, not weld in like the previous body styles:shrug: Since then I've swapped them myself when I had to get a replacement set of Flows:nice:

So what happens to all the loose carbon pieces (that were between the extended tip and cylinder head) and penatrating fluid that soaks in around the spark plug. Does it drop in the cylinder when the plug is taken out. Yikes, that can't be good.

So what happens to all the loose carbon pieces (that were between the extended tip and cylinder head) and penatrating fluid that soaks in around the spark plug. Does it drop in the cylinder when the plug is taken out. Yikes, that can't be good.

Burns off and is passed out through the exhaust valve, it's a non issue..