Taking the stang on a RUNWAY

spayne44

Apr 23, 2005
I am lucky enough to be able to take my car out on an airstrip. I got a '03 GT - only mod is magnaflow cats...the runway is approximatly 3700 feet long. I'll be able to make a couple of runs. What kinda speeds will I be hitting? How much room should I leave for braking?

I'll try and get a video of it

• Sponsors (?)

well 1320 will get you to 98-100MPH

That leaves 2180 feet to accel and brake.

You'd prob hit 115-120MPH before you need to slam on the puny GT brakes and attempt a panic stop before you run out of runway.

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
I don't recommend doing this especially for the inexperienced. There is a reason NHRA has certain safety requirements for these kind of things.
Please heed. But,If you should do this take a slow trial run..be sure that runway is not full of little stones or gravel or any debris...get to know where to let off & when to begin stopping. I agree strongly with 69Rcode. The NHRA tracks have an ambulance at the end of the track if needed.I PAID good money to go to drag race school to keep it safe & legal.Other than nightly drag racing at NHRA tracks,this was my only other option.6 hours of non stop track time.
Safety first.....

3700ft is nothing, but be careful and have fun. the old base i used to workout had one of (it used to be THE) longest continual runway in the world. 12000+ft. and they only used half of it.

I have a superchip blue top(don't know if that makes a diff) from my 01 Gt Vert 5spd with a 3650. It was set up for timing, 4.10s, turn off ses for rear o2's and I'm sure a little more aggresive fuel curve. Not sure if it can be reburned and I don't have the computer code for my old car. I pulled the chip a few times at the track and I lost a good 1mph every time at least. Its not perfect but its a cheap upgrade for someone that doesnt have the $$$ for a sct chip or timing adjuster/speedcal/MILs. i guess i could take pics if needed

$60 plus shipping

Get a really powerful audio system and a CD of a Ferrari's exhaust note. The only tough part is matching the sound output to your speed.

stallowned.gif

where do you live? im coming tooooo. i took my stang on the highway with my friends evo 8 and we were at 130 before i knew what was goin on. i would love to have a runway. we were just talking about that tonight.

BLOWNo2 said:
where do you live? im coming tooooo. i took my stang on the highway with my friends evo 8 and we were at 130 before i knew what was goin on. i would love to have a runway. we were just talking about that tonight.
let me get this straight. you were on the hwy and next thing you know you are at 130....AND DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON??? My suggestion for you is to buy a really powerful stereo and get a cd of somebody that is talking and knows what is goin on.

Jackie Chan said:
let me get this straight. you were on the hwy and next thing you know you are at 130....AND DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON??? My suggestion for you is to buy a really powerful stereo and get a cd of somebody that is talking and knows what is goin on.

No kiddin. Last time i did 130MPH, i made sure i KNEW what was going on. It's not like Mustangs are so powerful that they can creep up to 130MPH on their own with barely any gas. A near stock GT doesn't have the HP to zip up to 130MPH with any quickness. It will do it, but you need room to do it and WOT.