Temp gauge reads wrong?!?

DK832

Apr 11, 2006
Copenhagen, DK
Ran out of things to try: I've swapped a water temp gauge for an Autometer electrical one, sensor sits in the intake as usual. Ran wires to +12V ignition lead in the plug to the dash/gauges, ground to point behind dash, dash lighting and used the old original wire out to the sensor in the intake. When I use an IR temp gun the intake/sensor is 63°F but the gauge shows 150°F! When running at normal temp the gauge shows 250°F... :shrug: I have tried 2 new Autometer sensors and 1 old used one (not Autometer), all have this misreading. I could find and add a resistor of (say 0.5 ohms) to the sensor wire to correct but WTF is going wrong here? Bad gauge or have I missed something entirely?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the input. Yeah, one of the first things I checked. Reused so I wouldn't have to open up the wire harness in the engine bay. It's fairly nice as it is. I measured the old wiring and it has the same resistance as a similar piece of new wire. The sensor has lower resistance as it gets hotter, so if anything the old wire should have the gauge showing too little.

Did you have the problem before the new gauge ? Because the autometer and other after market gauges use a GM ohm sensor. That and auto meter sensors go out all the time, if you have one of those in there. Did you use teflon tape, or over tighten ?

Eh, can sometime have them read funny if the teflon blocks the ground. We use teflon paste for it. Did you have a sensor that came with it, or the stocker ? Think 99% of their stuff is GM ohm sensors

Ok, will try paste. The sensor came with it but I also tried a N.I.B. I had on the shelf. Also tried the original one that was on the old gauge (not Autometer). All show approx the same fault. I might try to borrow a second gauge to see if its just faulty...