the 5.0 or newer 4.6

Im 17, and I think im ready for my first stang.. but Im torn between a 94-95 with the 5.0 or shelling out for a 99+ with the PI 4.6. The 5.0 is cheaper to buy and modify, its easier to work on, and its got pushrod low end torque. The only bad is that it is underpowered stock (some lightweight ricers may be faster) and that its fuel economy isnt the greatest.. but its a v8 so im expecting that. The 4.6 costs a little more, but you get a newer car with a newer technology engine (better economy and more power stock) Ive got a small tutoring business, and I make some good money for my age, but money is always tight. Ive been saving for a long time in hopes that Ill eventually get a mustang or camaro. What do you think is the best choice?

(I considered insurance as well.. and its torture no matter what car you get.. so im going to pay using my parents plan, its only slightly more to insure a stang than the old '86 hyundai this way)

• Sponsors (?)

well

What is your longterm goal for the car? Any autocrossing or drag racing? This will be your daily driver too I take it?

I'd say figure out what body style you prefer the look first off. You want something you will be happy with for a long time.

Also since you are 17 and not a lot of money, try to get something with lower miles so you are not being nickled and dimed by little maintenance stuff right off the bat. That being said, if you can find a good deal on a 99+ I'd go that route. The 94 and 95 GTs pull pretty hard in the low rpm range but run out of steam quickly in the rpm range compared to the average ricer. Don't get me wrong they can be turned into mean machines with the right parts, but that takes money.

The 99+ are actually very decent stock and with a few bolt ons can be pretty impressive. A catback and intake are some good cheap mods that you will feel. Better yet, get one with a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears already in it and you should be very happy.

In my experience the 99+ 4.6L's are alot more reliable and
dependable than the older 5.0 cars.Also get the newest mustang
you can possibly afford.What to do is test drive both cars and see
what one you like the most because you have to live with it.
Another thing to think about is the 99+ cars hold their value
slightly better.
Happy car shopping!!
www.ebaymotors.com

I was in the exact same boat as you, and I chose 4.6.

If I had to do it again I would go 94/95 5.0 and not look back.

For me, I like both body styles, but the 5.0 is where its at. Cheap and easy to get power out of.

The 5.0's felt very solid, and flew all the way across the board. My 4.6 doesnt even come alive untill its getting over 4k rpm.

You could also find a better deal (id hope) on a 94/95 5.0 price wise compared to a 99+ also.

Truthfully though, you cant go wrong either way. Both are great platforms, but if you want bang for the buck go 5.0. If you want something more modern and possibly more reliable go 4.6.

Thanks for the quick helpful replies, and thanks for not saying "your too young for a v8" :flag: As far as body styles goes.. im torn as well. I really like the front end of the 99+, especially with the smoked style lenses, but I prefer the streamline look of the 94-98's (and the rear ends). I think I lean more towards those ones, but honestly, either one Id be very happy with, they are both beautiful cars. I dont know what sound I like better.. I havent heard enough of both yet. I love a 5.0 with flowmasters. Personally, when you do out a 5.0 with h/c/i there is no comparison, but Id leave the car mostly stock for awhile. Ive heard really mean sounding modulars too (again, id be happy with either).

My goals for the car are to make a fun street car thats not too expensive to maintain/gas up. I want it to sound nice and have some power to back it up and hold its own against pesky rice and keep up with some fbodys. Eventually as I get older, Id like to invest in the suspension, nothing road race level.. but something better than stock. Id also like to do an h/c/i swap or forced induction when im older, but thats not priority at my age now.

What I would really like to get is a 96-98 cobra.. its got the body style I like.. the dohc would be more than enough power for me now, the hand built engine, more attention to detail.. it sounds amazing, and its a cobra :nice: .. its an attainable dream.. but i doubt itl happen haha

(Also, since you guys are the 4.6 experts, how hard is it to work on your cars? Has/does anyone own a 5.0 and 4.6, how much harder is it to work on the 4?)

A 4.6 isnt bad to work on unless you are tearing into the engine itself or installing headers.

Headers are a nightmare, and if you take the engine apart or want to swap cams (remember you have 2 now in a 2v 4.6...) the timing chain setup is alot more complex compared to a 5.0's.

Everything on top of the engine on a 4.6 is easier to work on, aside from that I think the 5.0 would take over.

hmm

A 4.6 is not really hard to work on. True my 5.0 was easier, but not by a ton. If you can get a 94 or 95 Cobra that may be a nice way to go too. 35 more horsepower, better brakes... My buddy has a 94 Cobra and it has some get up and go.

99+ cars really just need gears bad, they are good motors. If you are used to the torque of a 5.0 you will especially want them.

No offense to any one that has one but 94-95 GTs are dogs thats it. They are slow and you will be dissapointed. A 99+ will absolutley kill a 94-95. I would look at a 89-93 Fox or a 99+ 4.6. My cousin has a 91 stock auto hatch and raced a 95 5 spd GT with a dicent driver and my cousin beat him. Foxs are light and thats what make them faster than the 94-95 GTs.

Heres how I look at it, if you cant afford or find a nice 99+ get a 89-93 fox. Youd save some money and could put it to some mods and be on your way to one mean 5.0.

Also get the newest mustang you can possibly afford.

Best advice right here. You stated that you made an ok living, but money is always tight? Well, the cost of maintaining a 13 or 14-year-old car isn't going to do you any favors.......never mind trying to save up for modifications! Looks are subjective, but otherwise, the '99-up cars do everything better than their predecessors. More power, better brakes, better handling, less wear and tear, etc, etc.

Stick with a 4.6L and save the 5.0L cars for guys who can afford to work on them. :)

Stick with a 4.6L and save the 5.0L cars for guys who can afford to work on them. :)

Thats true for the most part, but I have seen some very clean, top notch 5.0's reguardless of being a Foxbody or SN95.

My car sucks even as far as new edge cars go, while alot of my freinds 5.0's with higher mileage and more age are fairing better.

Heres my list of issues...

Slight rotational knock/slap, doesnt sound like a rod but it is internal.

Whining rear end and bad wheel bearing.

Uses oil.

Pleauged with the non crossover intake that is leaking.

Has a very noticable bog/miss on the first start of the day 90% of the time.

Im positive my car had the ***** beat of out it before I bought it, and im very good with matenince on it, but oh well.

Im not totally dis agreeing, but you can get a very fine 5.0 car or get stuck with something newer but more run down like I did. Plus their parts are cheaper, lol.

But the new edge cars do stop/handle/move faster. Though I always wish the 4.6's had the low end of a 5.0.

Just to clarify a few things:
Fuel mileage for the 5.0 and the 4.6 are about the same.
Anyone that says the 5.0 is cheap to mod has obviously never modded one.
Performance wise, the 94-95's are pretty much the same as the 96-98's
The 4.6 and the 5.0 are both reliable engines, it's just that, as others have said, the older car would likely require more attention.
Someone had suggested finding a Stang that already has gears, unfortunately if it has 3.73's or 4.10's, it's probably been driven hard and you may want to avoid it.

Thats true for the most part, but I have seen some very clean, top notch 5.0's reguardless of being a Foxbody or SN95..

I'm not saying there aren’t clean, well maintained low mileage 5.0L's out there. The problem is, is that when you’re buying one, you're playing with the one thing you can't beat and that's time. Great maintenance won't prevent rubber seals and gaskets from going hard, rust from forming in those impossible to reach places, or parts from generally wearing out. The problem with an older car, even if it's a cream puff is that it nickel and dimes you to death with the general maintenance (speaking from experience. :(). On top of that, the owners of these cars know for the most part a pushrod powered Mustangs in that body style, in that kind of condition are becoming a rarer commodity by the day and usually ask top dollar. I've seen guys selling 13 and 14-year-old 5.0L SN95's for nearly the same price as a 3-4 year old low mileage 4.6L car......and some delusional Fox guys not far behind that.

I know the 5.0L’s have plenty of bolt-on potential, but so do the 4.6L cars since the PI parts have become more readily available. And for the most part, your average owner never goes further than the odd bolt-on, or cosmetic modification anyway. Unless you’re talking about making beyond 350hp with bolt-ons alone, their cost vs. horsepower gains are about the same.

Though I always wish the 4.6's had the low end of a 5.0.
Perhaps, but then again....I'm sure there are a lot of 5.0L owners out there that wished their stock or near stock 5.0L had the mid/top end pull of the '99-'04 cars. :shrug:

If you like the 95 body style, and the 99+ enging why dont to look at a 96-98, same body as 95 and same engine as 99+, thats what i done and it works all around for me.

The short block might essentially be the same, but you'll have to do a PI head and intake upgrade to the '96-'98 for the power to be equal. Otherwise, they're slllloooooowwwww!?! :(

5 slow. get a 4.6. i bought my stang when i was 16, now look where it is.. tho it still dosnt always please me, cause i think i modded it too fast and see to many of these guys with KB's, get a 4.6 throw on 3.73's catback and STOP