The Reenmachine DOHC '67 Shelby Clone Convertible Progress

Haven't as of yet!

We're getting ready to do the IRS install in our vert project.
http://www.mustangdepot.com/Media/vert.htm

You might see our install article on the Heidt's MII set-up with the FR column and some 13" extreme SSBC brakes coming soon. Jim Smart is suppose to cover the rear when it goes in.

I prefer the Cobra design as well but it doesn't work with the 65-66 chassis very well. Especially since we're lookin' for a large diameter dished wheel to be tucked under there.

I definately like to be informed about what I'm sellin' and the best way is to install it :)

All the kudos for your project reen :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

mdjay said:
I prefer the Cobra design as well but it doesn't work with the 65-66 chassis very well. Especially since we're lookin' for a large diameter dished wheel to be tucked under there.
Yeah, that certainly makes sense on all counts. That's one nice thing about the Heidt's IRS -- you can get it in just about any trackwidth you want.
mdjay said:
I definately like to be informed about what I'm sellin' and the best way is to install it :)

All the kudos for your project reen :nice:
And kudos to you on the Sinister 'Stang and all the ink you've been getting lately! :nice:

Well, I'm jumping off the deep end here. I have ordered a Heidt's IRS, and a Heidt's IFS from Mustang Depot. Installing it in a 65 Vert, I plan to take lots of pictures and keep you guys updated on the progress. Wish me luck!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

It's been a bit slow lately as I've been traveling, have family visiting, etc., but I managed to get the e-brake system finished. There are seperate little mechanical Wilwood e-brake calipers on each rotor and they work great with the Lokar hardware. The pic also is a nice detail of the fuel lines, the e-brake cable, and the floor-mount gas pedal.

ebrake_fuel_gaspedal.jpg

Forward struts - what happened?

Reen,
You're not ditching the forward struts from the Heidt's to the crossbrace on the subframe, are you? Did you need to remove that crossbrace for the fuel lines?
I get mine back from floorpan replacement late this week, so I guess I'll have to remove my rusty floorpan avatar. :banana:

70vert said:
Reen,
You're not ditching the forward struts from the Heidt's to the crossbrace on the subframe, are you? Did you need to remove that crossbrace for the fuel lines?
They were just hanging down out of the way while I did the e-brake stuff. If you look closely you can see them hanging from the forward outboard pivots of the control arm.

Pete, just to change the subject here a bit , I went and picked up my 68 Vert the other day.

I bought it last month and left it at the ladys house, so when i got it i finally had a chance to go thru the whole car.

I am happy to report there is no rust on this car at all. Everything is solid, however, the rear floor pan has been replaced. All T boxes, rails , rockers and chassis are impressevley solid.

I think i mentioned a while back it has alot of good stuff in it, from the motor to the suspension to the trans. Not good like the stuff you got in yours, just good basic stuff it seems most people do to these cars to make em fun to drive.

Anyway , that being the case, I am really considering keeping this and putting all the 67 Shelby glass and other parts on it .

My question is can you tell me the cost of such parts, and where you got them? You dont have to go into detail, just a close ballpark of the exterior stuff.

I have a Branda catalog but that would be like work looking thru it and adding it all up. id figured id ask you, you have the experience.

No rush.

Thanks, rich

Yeah, I'm still here plugging away! I was away for a while so I have a pile of parts waiting for my attention. Most interesting is the set of Autometer gauges I'm going to use to make the instrument cluster. I opted to go with a modified stock deluxe cluster. I'll post pics as soon as I get going on that one.

Today I'm lowering the seat perches on a customer's '67 fastback. It's the first time I've done it so here goes nothing!

Visit

I had the privilege on Tuesday of seeing the '67 in person. Pete was extremely gracious with his time and very accomodating. The car is a true work of art and is absolutely flawless. I'm already planning a return trip to Flagstaff with the car is done!

The car is truly impressive, but the builder is even more so. I'll be hauling my wife's '67 vert up to Flag to get the Heidt's suspension with R&P setup. There's very few people I trust to work on my car, but Pete's attention to detail and extraordinary craftsmanship have definately won me over.

If you have the chance, I highly recommend seeing this project in person :nice:

mdjay said:
Hey Reen

On the forward strut crossbrace bolted to the subs, is there room to run both the exhaust and the driveshaft through there?

It looks snug...

Thanks
Jay
There's enough room. It's no more snug than the factory convertible support plate that goes across between the seats.

68keyblr said:
I had the privilege on Tuesday of seeing the '67 in person. Pete was extremely gracious with his time and very accomodating. The car is a true work of art and is absolutely flawless. I'm already planning a return trip to Flagstaff with the car is done!

The car is truly impressive, but the builder is even more so. I'll be hauling my wife's '67 vert up to Flag to get the Heidt's suspension with R&P setup. There's very few people I trust to work on my car, but Pete's attention to detail and extraordinary craftsmanship have definately won me over.

If you have the chance, I highly recommend seeing this project in person :nice:
Thanks for the kind words -- you're making me blush! It was a pleasure having you 3 over and I look forward to seeing you again. We'll get that vert squared away so that 30 mpg will be a bit more enjoyable. :D

Hey Reen

Do you by chance know if the rear section of the trans tunnel of the 65-66 is about the same as the 67-68? I was talking with Dave from DVS Restorations and he sent me an article concerning the 2000 Cobra IRS into the 65-66, just need to make a few mods like rolling the inner fender lip and getting the deeper offset rims, but if there is a cross member concern, then there might be more mods required. I just don't have the $2000 to find out. :D

65mistress said:
Hey Reen

Do you by chance know if the rear section of the trans tunnel of the 65-66 is about the same as the 67-68? I was talking with Dave from DVS Restorations and he sent me an article concerning the 2000 Cobra IRS into the 65-66, just need to make a few mods like rolling the inner fender lip and getting the deeper offset rims, but if there is a cross member concern, then there might be more mods required. I just don't have the $2000 to find out. :D
As far as I know, everything's the same, but I'd have to research it a bit to make sure. Did you ask Dave about this specifically? I'm sure he could tell you since he's done the swap into a 65-66.

I didn't and he didn't offer up any concerns about a cross member piece. Actually I haven't heard back from him since I asked him about the price for letting them use my car to mock up the new support for the Cobra IRS into a 65-66 with Air Ride air suspension. :shrug: He told me that he could possibly give me a break on the price, but hasn't gotten back to me yet about how much this price break would be. I'm conservatively figuring about a total of $7000 for the IRS, installation kit and the Air Ride bags, with a home fabricated air flow system for the bags. :banana: