The SN65 project car

• Sponsors (?)

Hi All,

As promised last week, we have posted photos of the installed drivetrain. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was going to list the items we installed, but rather, I will list the items we have yet to finish. We need to attach the clutch cable. We need to finish aligning the MagnaFlow exhaust system. We need to install some rubber around the AC line to keep it from rubbing on the relocated shock tower. We need to finish "tweaking" the break lines. We have them in place, but we need to get the contours and alignment correct. We need to relocate the intercooler pump to clear the front wheel. We have to modify the horn bracket for tire clearance.

And the biggie is that we need to have a custom "oil filter relocation" fitting fabricated. The steering linkage fits as designed, but when we tried to install the oil filter relocation fitting, there was about 1/2" of interference. We examined the billet fitting and decided it should be easy to eliminate at least 1/2" from the design. We just have to find the right shop to do the work. I wonder if the people who manufactured the kit can help us out on this one?

Getting this engine to fit was not without it's issues. Clearance between the frame rails is very tight. And, once the engine is in place, there is very little room to work. We found that we would get so far before we would have to remove an item from the engine for clearance or install an item that would not fit when the engine was fully installed.

Getting the break lines reconfigured was a rather tedious process and we still have a ways to go. After messing with the lines for a while your hands just get to sore and tired to go on.

With all that said, the installation went pretty much as planned. I feel as if we made significant progress over the past few days. Now we have to knuckle down and keep pushing toward the finish. Today we will double check the installation and make sure we did not miss anything (loose bolts, fittings, electrical connections, etc...). After we are sure that everything is in order, I will move on to the dash / interior installation and Wayne will concentrate on the exterior bodywork.

Wish us luck

Bob
Come see this WIP at
Julian's Collision Center
http://www.julianscollisioncenter.com/

SN65 said:
Hi 1320,

Please don't remind me. So much good info was lost. Lots of debates on different issues, etc...

Sigh....

Well, back to work

Bob
Come see this WIP at
Hi All,

Since the "crash" I have been keeping track ot the posts and views on this site. If the server did not crash, as of today, this thread would have been at 831 posts and 60,488 views.

Catch ya'll l8r.

Well, back to work

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Stang2Man said:
Maybe if you give magnaflow a call they'll come install the exhaust like they do with Chip Foose and the Overhaulin Crew.
Hi S2M,

Hey, I was just happy they sent me the exahust system. Installation is a snap. I went in without a single problem what-so-ever. I can see this being done in a garage at home or even a driveway.

Catch ya'll l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

SN65, You're not gonna do like the guy that built the TruckStang and take it in for warranty work are you?? Let them change the oil at the dealer and all that fun stuff and tell everyone you ordered the car like that.
Or even better you could tell people you and brother swapped the motor and stuff in a weekend's time, hehe. That would screw some people up.

I'm sure you all have seen the red 89 TruckStang, the guy built it when it was still fairly new, and people that lived around him seen it and asked about it, he told them he had ordered it like that so people were going to the local asking to order one and of course the dealer had no clue what was going on until he had to go in for some warranty work on his car. I overheard him telling that story on the PowerTour in Memphis a couple years ago.

Stang2Man said:
SN65, You're not gonna do like the guy that built the TruckStang and take it in for warranty work are you?? Let them change the oil at the dealer and all that fun stuff and tell everyone you ordered the car like that.
Or even better you could tell people you and brother swapped the motor and stuff in a weekend's time, hehe. That would screw some people up.

SNIP...QUOTE]

Hi S2M,

We did not think of the warranty angle (Maybe I could convience them that it is a Ford prototype), but we did want to take it in for a few oil changes.

Catch ya'll l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

streetstang67 said:
Where are you going to mount the intake? Since it comes out the back of the blower, you could run the inlet tube into the cowl area for cooler air.
Man, that car is slick.
No, the throttle body is behind the passenger side shock tower. Very close to the same place my throttle body is on my 5.0.
Just gotta get a tube with a small bend in it to run from the TB to the front of the engine compartment somewhere. Also gotta mount the MAF meter in it as well.

VERY nice project. :nice: :nice: :nice:

I've been away from this thread too long heh, nice progress!

SN65 said:

glad to see a suggestion of mine made it onto the car :banana:

attachment.php

wow, how close is the clearance on that passenger side shock tower?? I see the padding in there... Is the motor mounted in that pic or still being put in? That might get scary when the motor torques.

attachment.php

can you post a pic of the wheel devices?? I'd be interested in seeing them. I think I know of what you're talking about (our family has a body shop too) and if they're the same as the ones I've seen then its possible to modify them to fit. I take it that they're too short??

the way you describe it I can see why they'd be useless considering the amount of force that you'd need to crumple the rear frame rail for them to activate...compared to the amount of force needed to crumple the "impact pads" for the rear bumper support.

Speed_Demon1965 said:
No, the throttle body is behind the passenger side shock tower. Very close to the same place my throttle body is on my 5.0.
Just gotta get a tube with a small bend in it to run from the TB to the front of the engine compartment somewhere. Also gotta mount the MAF meter in it as well.

VERY nice project. :nice: :nice: :nice:
Hi SD,

Yes you are right. We just have to modify the Cobra intake system to fit. Currently the factory "tube" runs into the shock tower (remember we moved it forward 7").

Bob
Come see this WIP at

stackz said:
I've been away from this thread too long heh, nice progress!

glad to see a suggestion of mine made it onto the car :banana:

wow, how close is the clearance on that passenger side shock tower?? I see the padding in there... Is the motor mounted in that pic or still being put in? That might get scary when the motor torques.

can you post a pic of the wheel devices?? I'd be interested in seeing them. I think I know of what you're talking about (our family has a body shop too) and if they're the same as the ones I've seen then its possible to modify them to fit. I take it that they're too short??

the way you describe it I can see why they'd be useless considering the amount of force that you'd need to crumple the rear frame rail for them to activate...compared to the amount of force needed to crumple the "impact pads" for the rear bumper support.
Hi S,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear from you again.

As you can see the different oil filter casting will work out just fine. We still have to modify the oil filter relocation fitting (it is currently at the CNC shop) but after that, we sould be ready to fire this sucker up. :)

The clearance on the passenger side is fine. The padding is there just to keep the AC line from scratching the shock tower. We will be putting a piece of round foam padding around the line and we will be AOK.

As far as the "wheel devices" are concerned, I believe we are talking about the same devices. I can actually make them fit, and "look" functional, but I am not inclined to put anything on thie car just for apperance sake. I will try and post photos later.

Catch ya'll l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Hi All,

The past two days have been spent reviewing the connections over and over again. I have been concentrating on the engine bay and the suspension. I am at the point where I have to start thinking about installing the dash and steering wheel.

I have attached photos of the rear wheel mechanisms I will not be installing, the car sitting on its wheels (I still have to fine tune the ride height, but that will have to be accomplished on the laser table, and the car from the front showing the engine height.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Today I will go over everything one more time and if satisfied I will start on the dash. I can't wait to get started on that rat’s nest of wiring and vacuum lines. I hope upon hope that I don't have any wiring issues when we go to fire this sucker up.

If there is a problem I will have to call in the big guns, because I will be totally lost... without a rudder... without a compass... in the dark... sad... alone...

Say a little prayer for me.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

yeah, those are what I was thinking but they've got a really weird shape to them. I was going to say to cut the bracket in the middle and lengthen it but the way those look, if you did that, they might just fail outright during the collision.

I think I agree with you about just leaving them off.

What I meant about the intake is a suggestion to move the throttle body closer and directly behind the blower, then run a tube with MAF and other sensors through the wall to into the cowl area where it would be topped off with an air filter.
Doing this would not have as much intake tubing snaking around the engine compartment, resulting in a cleaner look and cooler air.

streetstang67 said:
What I meant about the intake is a suggestion to move the throttle body closer and directly behind the blower, then run a tube with MAF and other sensors through the wall to into the cowl area where it would be topped off with an air filter.
Doing this would not have as much intake tubing snaking around the engine compartment, resulting in a cleaner look and cooler air.

No but it would mean cutting up the cowl and then making it easily accessable for filter changes.. Not practical!