The SN65 project car

• Sponsors (?)

SN65 said:
Hi all,

Here is a photo of the connector in question. It is the grey one in the upper right. There is one of these on both sides of the car.

Bob
Come see this WIP at
Julian's Collision Center
http://www.julianscollisioncenter.com/

That looks like speaker connector to me. Dont ask me why they it be right there though unless...Have you already connected the power harnesses for the doors and run them through?? If not then I'm assuming you've also got those harness connectors as well to deal with so I'd say just grab one of the door harnesses and hook it all up and see if that doesnt knock out that connector as a loose possibility.

as for the cobra seats....if you REALLY wanted to get extreme to keep the theme of the car going you could pull the covers off and cut down the seat pan and seat tracks and get probably an inch there and then cut down the seat back's frame another inch and have an upholstery shop alter the covers to match. this would keep the foam at the right thickness.

the mustang lx seats were also relatively shorter compared to the GT/cobra seats. Might want to think about having a pair of them recovered to look like cobra seats.

as for the power seats not working you probably blew the fuse when you hooked the battery up :p

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a good holiday. I took some time off to lazy about the house and also knock a few items off my “honeydew” list. It is good to be back to work. I sent a lot of my free time puzzling out some of the issues we have been facing.

I have resolved all the electrical connections in the 03 harness save two. There is one grey two prong connector near the driver’s side kick panel and one small black connector located over the drivers side rear wheel housing. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and pick up the 03 Cobra wiring diagrams.

I have found replacement seats that should fit just right. They are Recaro LXF seats. They should sit exactly 2" shorter than the stock Cobra seats. They are seeing if I can get them with the same charcoal leather and grey suede as the Cobra seats. Now, I just have to figure what I am going to do for seat tracks.

With that said, I am also installing a rear roll bar and 4 point harnesses. This will require the disengagement of the air bags. I know I have been struggling with this for a while, but (as far as safety goes) the 4 point harnesses will do us just fine. Many feel that the 4 point restraint is a step up from the 3 point air bag combo.

Also, we are getting down to the short list. Today, I will be reviewing all the tasks left to accomplish, organizing them and prioritizing them.

Again, it is good to be back.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics, need pics.

ashford said:
SN65
i have mitchell on demand up to 2005 if ya want i can try and send ya wiring diagrams
Hi A,

Wiring diagrams would be a great help. I am going to have Wayne order a set of manuals today, but I do not know how long it will take to recieve them.

If you want to send some info via e-mail I can be reached at...

[email protected].

If you want to send info via snail mail, the address of the shop is...

3985 Commerce Drive
St Charles, IL 60174

Thanks for your help

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Hi All,

We are plugging along, slowly but shirley. Wayne is concentrating on the bodywork and I am concentrating on the dash right now.

Wayne is sanding his little heart out, and the attention he is paying to all the little details is nothing short of amazing. For Example, the bead he has sculpted along the passenger and driver’s side windows are just fantastic. They are faithful reproductions of the bead around the perimeter of the "C" pillar air vents. (Actually, they are more exact and precise than the factory castings, but don't say that to Wayne, it will just go to his head) This detail, while very labor intensive, is light years ahead of the typical "chop off the drip rail and smooth" process used by others in the past. I am very impressed. And while it is not something that will reach out and grab your eye, like 22" spinners or a chrome blower sticking through the hood, it is the subtle detail like this that will make the car stand out from the crowd.

Wayne’s goal is to have the body (sans doors and fenders) in primer by this weekend. Mine is to get the items completed that need to be finished before he can proceed and try my best not to get in his way.. I will post photos as soon as he is done.

I am working on the dash. The path we have decided to walk is going to be a bit tricky, but we expect the results to be worth the effort. We have trimmed the factory dash pad back to a point that will give us a nice transition from the 03 pad to the 65 cowl. We are then going to fab a mettle filler panel that will span the gap from 03 to 65. This panel will then be covered in vinyl that matches the dash. It will even have the openings for the defroster. We are going to take the same approach to the dash side trim panels. When complete, it should look better than our original plan which would have required us to black out the bottom 2" of the windshield.

Even though I do not have photos of the car to post (it looks like a bondo bomb just went off), I can post a photo of the current task list. Also, here are some photos of just a few of the items we will be listing on e-bay over the next week or two. We have a seemingly endless supply of parts to sell. I guess when you think about it, we have half the parts of one car, and half the parts of another to sell.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyway... Catch ya'll l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

So with the leftover parts does that mean someone could build an 03 Cobra on top of a 65 Stang chassis, hehe.

Did you ever figure out how you were going to complete the hood bulge that you wanted? Or is that where the roof went for from the Cobra?

I wonder how much easier this project would've been using a body in white from Ford? You would've had a fresh chassis, but nothing in it. And they are putting out Bodies in white in the 05 with wiring, so I understand. VIN it as a 65 and you're ready with your new crate motor, hehe.

Hi All,

I am getting a lot of requests for pricing on the parts I am going to list on e-bay.

Here is the deal. I will accept offers that are in line with the price typically achieved on e-bay (search completed auctions for finished auction results).

If we can't come to terms, I will list the item on e-bay and you can bid on it then. Maybe you will get a deal, maybe not. :)

Bob
Come see this WIP at

Amazing Thread i just found it a couple of days ago read 90% off it, amazing project would love to see the end results, would really like to see some interior shots i know your not done yet, but i bet everyone want to seee more pics of the project.

It would have been better if done on an 05 mustang since its has a more retro looking interior, but what the heck this project still looks really great.

199 said:
Amazing Thread i just found it a couple of days ago read 90% off it, amazing project would love to see the end results, would really like to see some interior shots i know your not done yet, but i bet everyone want to seee more pics of the project.

It would have been better if done on an 05 mustang since its has a more retro looking interior, but what the heck this project still looks really great.

I think you missed the part about it being a '65 body with an un-usable frame and an '03 with a completely wrecked body, but workable frame.

skywalker said:
I think you missed the part about it being a '65 body with an un-usable frame and an '03 with a completely wrecked body, but workable frame.

Actually, If I remember right the 03 was almost mint in condition, but I may be wrong, might need Bob to step in on this one!

By the way Bob, I got an idea that would piss some people off, how bout a 67 GT500 and an 07 GT500 mated :D J/K

Stang2Man said:
I wonder how much easier this project would've been using a body in white from Ford?

those "body in white" chassis's are HARD to get and come completely bare even sans VIN stamps. Now, a pre-build body is another story all together. those do come with VINS but are just a body and sometimes with wiring.

stangparts.com has an 05 body in white for sale right now actually.

burg65 said:
Actually, If I remember right the 03 was almost mint in condition, but I may be wrong, might need Bob to step in on this one!

By the way Bob, I got an idea that would piss some people off, how bout a 67 GT500 and an 07 GT500 mated :D J/K
Hi B,

The 65 was rough. In retrospect, probably to rough. We had to dump endless hours into the correction of the quarters, etc...

The 03 was real nice. Slightly used (about 5K). There were some signs of abuse when we got the chassis stripped, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Catch you l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at

skywalker said:

skywalker, I didn't miss that part because it doesn't exsist, the 03 is not wrecked as stated by the builder.

67 GT500 and an 07 GT500 would be a sweet combination, :cheers:

Hi All,

Things are moving along a bit.

Not to beat a dead horse, but these are the two connectors we are having trouble identifying. Wayne has ordered the shop manuals, but if anyone knows what these are, I would appreciate any help.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a shot of the car on the ground. We have adjusted the coil over shocks a little bit. We still have to tweak them a bit, but we are close for now. When all is said and done we should end up with 4" of ground clearance (plus or minus 1/4").

attachment.php

We have resolved the issues we were having with the cold air induction system. K&N, BBK, etc... were of no help what-so-ever. Anything out of the ordinary, and they have not a clue. I finally came across a company called Western Motorsports www.wmsracing.com and they are going to help us out with one of their high velocity intake systems. They are even going to help by supplying a number of alternate tube configurations so that we can piece together something for this rather unique installation. :)

Western Motorsport and LDC Chicago, along with Maximum Motorsports, NPD, MagnaFlow and CenterForce Are all on my preferred vendor list.

We have figured out how to reconfigure the intercooler plumbing (the original factory configuration was interfering with the front sway bar. We now have to solve the same issue with the engine coolant lines and we will be able to push toward firing up this beast for the first time.

We should be receiving the revised oil filter relocation kit today. If this works as planned, we should have a pretty slick setup. I will post photos of this setup next week.

Well that’s enough for now.

Catch ya'll l8r.

Bob
Come see this WIP at