The SN65 project car

• Sponsors (?)

1320stang said:
If I remember right, he has Pony door panels in there, so the arm rests are built in.

You may be right Larry. I thought I had seen standard door panels, but I could very well be wrong. I tried to check the sn65 website, but it appears to be down right now. If Bob is using the pony door panels, it seems to me that you could flush mount the switches in the integral armrests.

Hi All,

I have been plodding along on the electrical. We have the windshield wipers wired and functioning. The door locks and interior lights are wired and function with the remote, just like a real car. :) Today I start on the rear wiring (tail lights, licence plate light, etc...).

Wayne has been making progress on the paint. The door jambs plus the inside of the hood and trunck lid are all in color. After he gets the body and a few other misc parts in sealer, he will be applying the color to the rest of the car.

Updated Photos are at the site.

Catch ya'll l8r.

hey Bob, have you seen this hood?

well the link won't get you all the way to the hood, so let's try this. go to this link

http://www.e-bodyparts.com/Shop_On-line/Store-carhoods/ and scroll down to the mustangs section and click on the 65-66 cobra R hood. now you can see the hood i'm talking about

they call it a cobra R hood. i think it would look really cool on your car, not that there's anything wrong with the hood Wayne built and i don't want to insult him by posting but i think you should consider using this hood. i think it would tie in especially well with fender vents and flares on the car. possibly even use both hoods at different times or whatever. i've been thinking about posting this for several days but as i said i didn't want to insult Wayne, so it took me a while to decide if i should even post it all. i truly think this hood would look awesome on your car

Hi All,

Yesterday was great. I finished wiring up all the rear light connections. The parking lights and the tail lights and the license plate light and the trunk light and I even ran wires for the third eye break light. I just have to find a 12 volt THIN led strip about 36" long. If anyone knows where to find such an item, I would appreciate a heads up.

It is interesting to note that the color codes are the same today as they were in 1965. All of the wires I spliced together (from the 03 harness to the 65 pigtails) are exactly the same. Also, when I completed the wiring of the tail lights, the weird "buzzing" that was coming from one of the relays stopped. It appears that that circuit needed a load in order for the relay to latch properly. So now I have parking lights, turn signals, break lights and driving lights all functioning.

Woo Hoo!!!!

Wayne is detailing and wet sanding his heart out. He should have all the separate panels painted complete by the end of the weekend. I should have up to date photos posted on Monday.

Catch ya'll l8r

bnickel said:
hey Bob, have you seen this hood?

well the link won't get you all the way to the hood, so let's try this. go to this link

http://www.e-bodyparts.com/Shop_On-line/Store-carhoods/ and scroll down to the mustangs section and click on the 65-66 cobra R hood. now you can see the hood i'm talking about

they call it a cobra R hood. i think it would look really cool on your car, not that there's anything wrong with the hood Wayne built and i don't want to insult him by posting but i think you should consider using this hood. i think it would tie in especially well with fender vents and flares on the car. possibly even use both hoods at different times or whatever. i've been thinking about posting this for several days but as i said i didn't want to insult Wayne, so it took me a while to decide if i should even post it all. i truly think this hood would look awesome on your car
Hi BN,

I have seen this hood before. I do really like it. Unfortunatly, we did not see this item until after spending countless hours working on our hood design. At this point we are going to stick with the hood we have. We like the overall design of our hood especially in conjunction with the fender vents.

I think that a lot of builders just go way to far when adding these type of features to their cars. Way to many scoops and vents. Have you seen some of the 05 tuner Stangs. While some are very nice (Steeda and Roush for example) I feel that some of the others go a bit to far.

yeah i know what you mean. i just thought it would be kind of cool to have both hoods so you could switch them out at different times. i don't think your car could be anywhere near the too many scoops thing. and i also want you to know that in no way was i knocking wayne's work on the hood or the finished product. it's that i saw that other hood and immediately though of your car. i still think having both hoods to swap out at different times would be way cool, but i can also see how it would be a pain in the ass as well.

Sicarius428 said:
You might want to do a search for a product called el wire. El wire seems to be pretty thin(~1mm) and can be easily powered. Check it out.
Kevin

Electroluminescent wire (and sheet) rocks! You need an inverter to run it, but you can get that from the same supplier as the cable or sheet. It is better suited to backlighting etc. (I'm using some sheet to backlight the gauges on my 66) Not sure if it would be bright enough for a third eye brake light in daylight. Check these guys out:

http://beingseentechnologies.goemerchant2.com/nscgi-bin/BeingSeenTechnologies/catalog.cgi?Department=1%20EL%20Cable%20for%20Cars%20Trucks%20and%20Boats&Cartid=18601107177638&Merchant=BeingSeenTechnologies

Hi All,

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

I walked into the shop this morning just like any other day. Still half asleep, a freshly brewed cup of coffee in hand, I worked my way through the dim shop and started turning on the lights. As the shop started to brighten up (it takes a few minutes for the lights to kick in), I noticed that the Hood, doors and trunk lid were missing!!! I walked around the shop looking to see if they were perhaps moved from their normal resting place, but I did not see them anywhere. Where the heck were they? Wayne said that he was going to paint them today, so I looked in the booth to see if he had moved them in there. Maybe he finished all the wet sanding and put them in the booth so that they could get painted first thing.

When I turned on the booth lights and walked inside I almost cried. Before my eyes was one of the most spectacular sites I had ever beheld. Wayne worked late last night and started laying color. If a picture paints a thousand words, these speak volumes. So, instead of me going on, and on, and on, and on, I will let the images speak for themselves.

One parting comment... Just look at the reflections.

05-12-08%20016.jpg

05-12-08%20004.jpg

As always, more images are available at our site.

Catch ya'll l8r

Attachments

• 05-12-08%20016.jpg
    05-12-08%20016.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 61
  • 05-12-08%20004.jpg
    05-12-08%20004.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 63
Route666 said:
mmm shiny. Can't wait to see it together! One comment I will make though, and I don't know if it's because it's in a spray booth or whether it's just the colour, but it is very hard to see the lump on the hood - was it your aim to be really subtle with it?
Hi 666,

The hood bulge is supposes to be a bit on the subtle side, but I believe that it will be a little more prominent once it is mounted on the car.

As far as "shiny" goes, wait till it is finnished. Wayne is going to wet sand it to remove the orange peal and then spray a thin final coat of clear. The car will then be buffed. Wayne wants to follow this procedure to create the same type of finish you see on only the very best production vehicals.

Hi All,

I just did a little search and found the first mock up we did of the hood.

05-02-11%20(1).JPG

05-12-08%20016.jpg

After looking at the early photo, it is hard to believe that it looks as good as it does today.

Anyway... Back to work. :)

Attachments

• 05-02-11%20(1).JPG
    05-02-11%20(1).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 05-12-08%20016.jpg
    05-12-08%20016.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 58
wow that is great! what is your game plan as far as the rest of the paint for the car like I know that you painted the hood and trunk are you gonna paint the rest of the body seperate and then assemble it or are you ganna paint everything assemble it and then put another coat on and keep clearing it? I am just wondering cause I wanna paint my car and want the paint quality to be like yours so I know when I atrt to check around I knw what I am looking for

Bob, first time poster, long time thread follower. Friend if mine turned me onto this thread a while back and ive been lurking ever since. You are the greatest for taking on such a project. Everyone keeps talking about blending the old and new. One thing I JUST noticed is the holes in the leading edge of the hood, for the stock FORD letters. Thats one of those things that really brings the old back.. I see lots of cars with out the front letters but definantly glad to see you kept them.

Keep up the EXCELLENT work. I cannot wait to see the final product.

Brad

SN65 said:
Hi All,

I just have to find a 12 volt THIN led strip about 36" long. If anyone knows where to find such an item, I would appreciate a heads up.

Catch ya'll l8r
how about this one for an 05 mustang from classic design concepts?.....
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/catalog/itemdisplay/652.html
its only 15.6" long, but maybe 2 of them together would give you the look you are going for.....just a suggestion.