The SN65 project car

Hi All,

And away we go...

Getting ready for applying the paint. Here Wayne has started the final steps prior to paint. Final priming, sealing, wet sanding, etc... I tell him "It looks good to me, just paint it." and he says "I know that you want to start putting it together, but I am not going to rush at this point in the project." I respond with "Boyd would have had this car painted months ago." His answer is "Well, if I were a slave driver who passed down unrealistic deadlines and had 30 people working on one car, I WOULD have had it done months ago." after which he firmly plants his foot up my ass. :)

05-10-26%20020.jpg

After apologizing profusely and removing said foot, I went about finished up the stereo installation. After some higher math calculations ( 1 / (pi x r squared x depth) ) I determined the finished size of the sub enclosure. What you see there is 1 cubic foot of air. To get a strong, air tight bond, we used urethane to bond the enclosure to the spare tire well. Now we have to figure out what to do with the cavity we created. Wayne suggests converting it into a martini bar. :)

At this point, the dash is basically complete. To finish we just have to wire up the parking brake function to the head unit and install the windshield mounted AM FM antenna. We are going to mount the antenna behind the rear view mirror and the "green" band at the top of the windshield. If you are wondering about the green tape on the instrument cluster, it is there to prevent any stray dust from entering the unit. When we originally stored the unit, we did not take this into consideration. So, when we went to install the cluster, we found that the inside was covered with a light layer of dust. I had to disassemble the unit and clean the inside, which is no easy task. Getting into all the corners was a real pain in the butt.

05-10-26%20027.jpg

05-10-26%20003.jpg

Anyway, back to work. Today, I have to figure out how to mount the sill plates and kick panels.

Catch ya'll l8r

Attachments

• 05-10-26%20020.jpg
    05-10-26%20020.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 05-10-26%20027.jpg
    05-10-26%20027.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 05-10-26%20003.jpg
    05-10-26%20003.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Sponsors (?)

SN65 I need to ask you a stupid question:

on this picture:
05-10-26%20009.jpg

You've fitted the weatherstripping for the windshield, I am doing mine at the moment, how are you going to put the glass in? I am confused.

Attachments

• 05-10-26%20009.jpg
    05-10-26%20009.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 80
gonzothegreat said:
SN65 I need to ask you a stupid question:

on this picture:
05-10-26%20009.jpg

You've fitted the weatherstripping for the windshield, I am doing mine at the moment, how are you going to put the glass in? I am confused.
Hi GTG,

The rubber is not "glued" in yet. But, in our case, we are going to have to bond the boot to the car first, and then work the window into the boot.

This is not the typical method, but in our case, we have no alternative. The inside of the boot fits in between the dash and the metal lip that the boot fits over. There is no way to fit the inside after the windshield is installed in the boot.

Attachments

• 05-10-26%20009.jpg
    05-10-26%20009.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 72
SN65 said:
Hi GTG,

The rubber is not "glued" in yet. But, in our case, we are going to have to bond the boot to the car first, and then work the window into the boot.

This is not the typical method, but in our case, we have no alternative. The inside of the boot fits in between the dash and the metal lip that the boot fits over. There is no way to fit the inside after the windshield is installed in the boot.
Maybe I'm not envisioning this right, but I would think it would be a big PITA to fit the window in WITH the boot in place. Would it make things easier if you pulled the dash THEN installed the boot? Or would that not help any?

1320stang said:
I know you guys had your hearts set on SEMA, but what about PRI in Orlando? Any takers from some of your vendors for that?

ohhh pleaseeeeeeeeee come to orlando!!!!!!!!! i will be the first person in line to shake your hand and congratulate you on this BAD A$$ project, and to look at it of course..:flag:

Hi All,

Lots of new photos at the site. Some great ones of the sealed panels.

Go to the month of Oct project journal and check it out. For those who don't know the way, just click the link at the bottom of the SN65 home page.

SN65 home page said:
"Well, if I were a slave driver who passed down unrealistic deadlines and had 30 people working on one car, I WOULD have had it done months ago." after which he firmly plants his foot up my ass. :)
:rlaugh: i hate that boyd. thinks his cars are the best. dont try to point out something to make it better, he knows it all.

anyway, by the end of the week it will be yellow....right?!?!

bigcat said:
:rlaugh: i hate that boyd. thinks his cars are the best. dont try to point out something to make it better, he knows it all.

anyway, by the end of the week it will be yellow....right?!?!
Hi BC,

I am in Boston right now and Wayne is at SEMA. With that said, I imagine that it will be ALL painted by the end of next week. That includes the interior, the remaining brackets, the exterior, everything.

Did you see the photos of the sealed panels? They came out like glass. When you see the finished car you will have to walk around it and watch the reflections. It should reflect as true as a miror.

Catch you l8r.

SN65 said:
Hi BC,

I am in Boston right now and Wayne is at SEMA. With that said, I imagine that it will be ALL painted by the end of next week. That includes the interior, the remaining brackets, the exterior, everything.

Did you see the photos of the sealed panels? They came out like glass. When you see the finished car you will have to walk around it and watch the reflections. It should reflect as true as a miror.

Catch you l8r.
Tell Wayne to go out to the "additional display" tents where they have overflow. There's a company from Utah that has the '69 Camaro version of the SN65. They put an old body on a late-model unibody, drivetrain, interior, etc. -- basically the same thing you guys are doing. Not nearly the same level of quality though. I didn't ask how much $; maybe I will tomorrow. For now, my feets have taken all they can for one day!

SN65 said:
Hi BC,

Catch you l8r.
yeah, i saw the pics. i have never seen sealer look so good!! its gonna be a great paint job, i can already tell. what is left on the project? paint, reassemble, finish up stereo.....