Thinking about lengthening my steering shaft

GreyDiesel

Jul 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Hmmm, there is joke in that title somewhere...

Anyhow. I am hugely tall, and have to drive my mustang with the seat way back. But I have sort of shortish arms for my height, so I cant reach the wheel that well when I am set-up for good headroom and footroom. I could really use a telescoping steering wheel. I am wondering how hard it would be to extend the steering shaft. The two ideas that have crossed my mind are:

Take off the steering wheel and put some sort of extension (about an inch) between the wheel and where is attaches to the shaft. My concern about this is that the air bag wires wont reach, or that they will, but just barely, and then I'll worry about the air bag going off randomly.

I might also take off the shaft at the bottom, where it attached to the rack, and just put in an extension at the universal joint. My concern then would be that f-up my steering in some way. Plus, I might still have the problem with the air bag, and, I am not sure the steering shaft would actually just push up further into the cabin so easily.

So, just curious if anyone has any better ideas, or info on how and why my ideas will or will not work.

• Sponsors (?)

No help, only sympathy. I have the same problem with long arms. Ford did a piss poor job when it came to driver comfort. How does your right knee feel after a long ride resting one the edge of the center stack? Happy New Year.

You can get extenders or telescopic kits, may work.

send_binary.asp

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produ...nt=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping or check out Grant website.

Problem will be the air bag and cruise control connections. I know some old Vettes had them but either way your looking at a lot of work. Unless you just delete the air bag and cruise control.

Woah, I had given up on this thread..

dhavi - my legs are extremely comfortable. I put the base of the seat in its most tilted back position. In other words, the front of the seat base is high, and the rear of the seat base is low. That provides a lot of support for my knees. This is with the electronic seats in the GT which have a seat height, and angle setting. They may not all have this.

V6Vin - Those look promising. Where did you find them?

edit: Oh, I see where you found them. I thought that was your sig, but I see now it is more info on the extensions.