Thinking about purchasing headers... advice needed

cLeAnRaCiNgLdR

Dec 6, 2004
Hey guys,

I am thinking of purchasing headers for my 05 GT 5-speed and would like to know which header set up you would go with. My current mods are a MAC Axle-back System with a MAC O/R Prochamber midpipe, A C&L CIA with a 93 octane brenspeed tune. I've heard that I can only go with the shorty setup becuase of the midpipe, is this true? would you go with ceramic, chrome or a stainless set? Which brand has put out the best numbers on the dyno? am I going to have to get my retune the car with the headers installed?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Most people will tell you that shorty headers are a waste of money on these cars, being the factory manifolds flow enough exhaust for mild street cars. Long tubes would be worth the effort, but they are expensive and require a different midpipe than you have now.

what about the JBA Cat4Ward shorty headers? I personally just dont like the way the stockers look rusted and even if there isnt much to gain, I think it would be worth replacing.

I ran a 10.65 1/4 mile et with ported 1 5/8" shortie Mac headers on my 347 when I first installed it in the car. This was with a ported Cobra intake. Went to 1 3/4" long tubes and a ported Victor 5.0 intake and ran 10.4's. Did finally get it down to a 10.3 with other changes.

The only thing with longtubes is that you'll have to take off that MAC mid-pipe, unless you're willing to do some cutting. Shorties will fit to the MAC mid-pipe, but as others have said, the performance gains from shorties have been shown to be negligible and within the margin of error for a good/bad day or dyno.

Longtubes definitely add power and torque, that I can speak to personally. They are worth the effort, hands down. You'll just have to buy a matching mid-pipe to the headers and take off the MAC. You could put it up on eBay and recoup some expense, though. Unless, like I said, you take to cutting on it.

Good luck!

Shorty headers work

My very first upgrade was a set of headers. Installed Ford Racing ceramic short headers on to my 2005 4.6 and the low end torque gain was very drastic, the car was so responsive I couldn't stop driving it that day. It felt as if I was driving a diferrent car all together. One of the best/easiest aftermarket upgrades I could recommend.

FRPP???

so how does everyone like the ford racing ceramic stainless shorties? sounds,E.T., fit/ finish, power????

they look very appealing to me.

do you need a tune with an O/R X or H pipe? or can you use MIL eliminators like the older SN95's? (being a cheaper altenative and all...)

mustangmike6996 said:
so how does everyone like the ford racing ceramic stainless shorties? sounds,E.T., fit/ finish, power????

they look very appealing to me.

do you need a tune with an O/R X or H pipe? or can you use MIL eliminators like the older SN95's? (being a cheaper altenative and all...)

As has been said, you're not going to get any noticeable power from shorties, regardless of the brand. Granted, the cost difference is there between the shoties and the LTs, but if not going with the LTs, use the money on other power adders or save up for the LTs.