Thinking of a new DD.

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, that looks like a very nice ride, man. Just not my cup of tea. I have my reasons.

Like that, did ya? :rlaugh:
:nice:

The LS is out cause they are old and problematic, besides I dont really want a four door. Same reason for not wanting a G8. OTOH I really like that new TL with the performance package :shrug:

IDK, mabey I will go drive a G8 although now that I saw that special edition Z06 if I spend $26K then I would get it instead. :nice:

what about a BMW 3 series?

you can get a nice used one for under 25K and it would probably worlds more "tightly screwed together" than a GM rattle trap
It would have to be a 335i and thats too much money. Also, BMWs are in the shop all the freakin time and parts/labor is rediculous on them when the warrenty runs out. I like Beemers but no.

Why don't you look into something a little more practical as your daily driver Bill? You've already got your Cobra for the "flash"....why not something a litle more economical (small car), or useful (SUV P/U truck) as your daily? :shrug:

Why don't you look into something a little more practical as your daily driver Bill? You've already got your Cobra for the "flash"....why not something a litle more economical (small car), or useful (SUV P/U truck) as your daily? :shrug:
See next quote.
Read and discarded. :D

No lousy little POS DD for me. Thats just stupid, may as well just keep my Mark VIII. I will have the same ammount I spend on the car left over in savings plus some so :shrug: Thats why I want a GTO. Sure, I could go get a brand new C6 with an auto and call it a day but then I woulda spent everything I have after the late taxes and funeral costs and pay off my grandmothers truck and give her a few thousand and then give my father a few grand so he can go see my sister in Cali and do the mods he wants on the truck.

I am an adult male and am perfectly capeable of making rational decisions. I didnt ask for financial advice. I asked what might be a better high power comfertable RWD daily driver car with warrenty for under $25000.

kthnxbai

I have a 4x4 Ranger and yes the Cobra is my toy. I have a high performance DD right now and I want something as good or better but with warrenty and lower miles. WTF is so hard to understand about that?
I almost died a couple years ago, I dont have a long projected life span. No reason for me to squirrel away $50000 when I can stash away $20000 and have some fun and enjoy my life. Dont you think I have gone through enough crap the last couple years that I deserve some nice time now?

Past two years cliff notes: Almost died and had to do chemo, lost fience so I can take care of dad, chased out of my own home cause aunt is a bitch, grandfather then dies, has funeral on my birthday, had to sell Cobra to pay for his funeral, father wrecks Cobra, mother put in loony bin cause shes nuts, father wrecks my truck, father wrecks Cobra again, father gets lung cancer, aunt dies, sister is diagnosed with Hodgekins Lymphoma (sp?) and after almost 4 months my Cobra is still in the shop.

So practical this *grabs crotch*

Besides a GTO is about as flashy as an older Cougar :shrug:

I have a 4x4 Ranger and yes the Cobra is my toy. I have a high performance DD right now and I want something as good or better but with warrenty and lower miles. WTF is so hard to understand about that?
I almost died a couple years ago, I dont have a long projected life span. No reason for me to squirrel away $50000 when I can stash away $20000 and have some fun and enjoy my life. Dont you think I have gone through enough crap the last couple years that I deserve some nice time now?

Past two years cliff notes: Almost died and had to do chemo, lost fience so I can take care of dad, chased out of my own home cause aunt is a bitch, grandfather then dies, has funeral on my birthday, had to sell Cobra to pay for his funeral, father wrecks Cobra, mother put in loony bin cause shes nuts, father wrecks my truck, father wrecks Cobra again, father gets lung cancer, aunt dies, sister is diagnosed with Hodgekins Lymphoma (sp?) and after almost 4 months my Cobra is still in the shop.

So practical this *grabs crotch*

Besides a GTO is about as flashy as an older Cougar :shrug:

You see, that's fine and all Bill, but the part you're neglecting to put into perspective here, is that you've already got a better than average Cobra parked in your driveway. That's more flash, or sports car than 90% of the members (myself included) on this site have.

When I was referring to a more practical daily, I was thinking something along the lines of something newer, with warranty, interior space and little gas mileage in mind and replacing your now 12-year-old (and seemingly problematic) Mark VIII with it.

Sure, a GTO is about as "Flash" as a Cougar, but the missing part of that statement is, that if I had the chance for a Cobra or even a GTO right now at a price that fit into my budget, I'd dump my Cougar in a heartbeat....but I'd still have something semi economical as my daily.

I wouldn't keep the Cougar, buy the Cobra/GTO and pick up a daily?

It’s nice that you've got some money to play with, but let’s be honest...in this economy...$50,000 really still isn't that much money. And with your luck, I'd be keeping as much of it around for a rainy day that I was able to. You're not working right now, am I correct? Or if you are working, it's not paying the kind of money you would consider "comfortable" or what you would like it too, right? Cars in general are a bad investment and if you don't need to be buying them up like candy (especially cars with similar classifications) when you cash flow isn't regular, you shouldn't.

With the up and down that your father often is, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to be preparing for a rainy day there in the event his heath gets worse, or if the next car accident he has isn't his (or someone else’s) last. :shrug:

Again, this isn't a quit pissing away your money response, but not more than a couple of months ago you were hurting. It can go as quickly as it comes. I for one would choose necessity over luxury at this point. :shrug:

Hey, if you have the money why not enjoy it a little bit. It's not like you can take your cash to the grave with you. If you want a nicer, faster daily driver then go for it. Go test drive the G8, you just might like it. It would be a little more practical than the vette for more room for passengers and trunk space. But then again a vette would be really nice. It's really just if you would need more room for passengers and things like that .

You see, that's fine and all Bill, but the part you're neglecting to put into perspective here, is that you've already got a better than average Cobra parked in your driveway. That's more flash, or sports car than 90% of the members (myself included) on this site have.

When I was referring to a more practical daily, I was thinking something along the lines of something newer, with warranty, interior space and little gas mileage in mind and replacing your now 12-year-old (and seemingly problematic) Mark VIII with it.

Sure, a GTO is about as "Flash" as a Cougar, but the missing part of that statement is, that if I had the chance for a Cobra or even a GTO right now at a price that fit into my budget, I'd dump my Cougar in a heartbeat....but I'd still have something semi economical as my daily.

I wouldn't keep the Cougar, buy the Cobra/GTO and pick up a daily?

It’s nice that you've got some money to play with, but let’s be honest...in this economy...$50,000 really still isn't that much money. And with your luck, I'd be keeping as much of it around for a rainy day that I was able to. You're not working right now, am I correct? Or if you are working, it's not paying the kind of money you would consider "comfortable" or what you would like it too, right? Cars in general are a bad investment and if you don't need to be buying them up like candy (especially cars with similar classifications) when you cash flow isn't regular, you shouldn't.

With the up and down that your father often is, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to be preparing for a rainy day there in the event his heath gets worse, or if the next car accident he has isn't his (or someone else’s) last. :shrug:

Again, this isn't a quit pissing away your money response, but not more than a couple of months ago you were hurting. It can go as quickly as it comes. I for one would choose necessity over luxury at this point. :shrug:
Damn-it Brian! $50,000 is AFTER all the taxes are paid, pay off my grandmothers truck in full, give her $5000, give my father $5-6000. I have a job and have worked here for almost a year. I am the manager and make enough to cover all my expenses and pay for my fathers meds every month and still put a couple hundred away (which the Mark keeps eating). My father has new insurance now and I don't have to pay for his meds anymore so that frees up more cash. I own ANOTHER property that my grandmother is living in and when she decides shes ready for a retirement home I will sell it and get a place closer to my work. :nice:

I am a big guy, small cars make me feel uncomfortable. I cant wear my jacket in the Cobra cause I feel uncomfortable. A Corvette would be the most practical because 1. They can be had for under $18,000. 2. A 4 year warranty would only run $1600. 3. It will average over 27 mpg for my commute. 4. I can do all the work on the car if need be. 5. Fast like hell. 6. Comfortable for big guys.

I just don't want a few more MPG at the cost of performance. I have a long, twistie, back road country drive to and from work. A dull eco car would suck for that drive every day. I don't want a Vette because it only seats two and it is too flashy for a DD. I speed all the time in my Mark VIII cause the cops don't notice it. A GTO looks like a Grand Prix and is plain jane just like my Mark VIII.
To me the GTO is just a freshened up version of my Mark VIII. Its forgettable looking, super nice seats, great power, decent handling, decent mileage, great room and is inexpensive :shrug:

25K for a DD??? WOW!!! That's crazy. My DD is a 97 Ford F150 4X4. I've got $4,500 in it. That includes all the front suspension, exhaust manifolds, and rear end rebuild I put in it.
No, gonna spend mabey $19000 for one but thats with only 13K on it and full warenty. :nice:

I will spend another $3500 or so for the exhaust/CAI/tune/FLSFC/springs/sway bars/wheels/rotors. The performance package that will keep the stock idle and fuel behavior is supposed to give 455 fly wheel hp and that should be enough for a cruiser :D

No, gonna spend mabey $19000 for one but thats with only 13K on it and full warenty. :nice:

I will spend another $3500 or so for the exhaust/CAI/tune/FLSFC/springs/sway bars/wheels/rotors. The performance package that will keep the stock idle and fuel behavior is supposed to give 455 fly wheel hp and that should be enough for a cruiser :D

19K is still a lot. I'm not being a jerk, if you can afford it great, but in this economy, I'm happy with my cheap truck that does its duty.

I see where you are coming from though. Sometimes I want a really nice DD, but I just can't bring myself to spending that kind of money, nor could I stand leaving it at school, on a side street, bar/restaurant parking lot. One time I came out and someone broke my wiper arm off and pushed my mirror forward. I guess I shouldn't have parked next to the BMW. I know that's the guy that did it. Nobody else was a round. I'd be SUPER PIST OFF if it was a nice nice car that they did that to.

2008 G35 sedan 6-spd. Get it loaded with all the bells and whistles and you'll never want to DD a "sports" car again

47016808.jpg

I have an '08 g35 s sedan with the 6 speed. it's a very nice car, redlines at 7600 and makes an honest 300+ hp. and the bizare thing is the '08 g35 sedan is like 160-180lbs lighter than a g37 coupe. the car is salty fast for an all motor v6 sedan in that price range, i'd guess 13.5-13.7 at 100+ 1/4 capable. it will give the coupe more than a tangle

i was just going to suggest the g35 coupe. my dad had one and it was really comfy and it was quick, it handled REALY well too. im not a huge guy though. i would recommend looking at a 2006+ model as there were some interior improvements that year, most notable better and easier to read gauges.

I know :( I really liked them but now every time I see one it has an ugly body kit and 20" wheels with a big wing. What a bummer.

Yup, kinda why i went Sedan. All i see in coupes are Ex-civic owners :(

To be honest, you could prob pick up an 07/06 6-spd sedan for around $25K. Might be a little more if you spring for Nav, but with 306HP, they are legit high 13 second cars and pretty sharp IMHO.

I was drooling over a red 6MT like the photo aboce last night. Kinda wish they made the 6-spd version AWD and then i would be all over one.

You could get an automatic if you wanted. Still comes with 306HP and the sport model has paddle shifters.

If I pust 26-27 grand for a car then its gonna be an XKR. I wouldnt feel comfertable modding an Infinity or Jag so if its gonna stay stock then its gonna be way bad ass.

I do want the car to have warrenty but I realize at some point it will run out and if I like the car enough to keep it then I want to be able to work on it too without spending a fortune in parts :nice:

I wish Ford made something really nice in that price range :( The GT just dosent have enough power, the Fuzion is nice but meh, the SHO would rock but its too much money, the new MKZ would rock but again its too much. Focus is too small and I dont want a truck or SUV. Cant think of anything else in Fords lineup ;shrug: