Thinking of buying an 04 GT as a daily driver...tell me how you like yours..

fordman54935

Jan 10, 2003
Wisconsin
Hey guys & gals, I'm Jeff and i'm new to the 4.6 forums. I'm considering purchasing an 04 5-speed GT as a daily driver, but I was looking for some feedback from those who already have one:D I've driven a couple and they seem like a very nice driving car and more refined (much more) than the Fox body mustangs. I'm curious as to what kind of mileage they get, on the highway in particular, as I commute about 60 miles a day. Has anyone had trouble with theirs? From other threads i've read on here, they seem to hold up pretty well over time. Any input is great - thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I love it. I drive mine every day and could not be happier. It is the most fun I have ever had driving... you will learn what the best onramps to the freeway are in no time at all!!!

On the highway with a K&N and cat back exhaust I got 25.5 mpg at about 85MPH! :nice:

Around town with mixed highway and streets I am averaging about 17 - 20.

My first tank of gass was about 10mpg...:jaw:

Get it and don't look back

Matt

I commute 5 days a week in mine, average about 22 to 24 mpg on a flat stretch of Interstate. The commute is about 25 miles one way and I average about 80mph.

As for reliability for a driver, I think the 4.6 liter 2v is quite solid. There are fleet vehicles (taxi cabs, police cruisers, etc.) running the same engine that rack up over 200,000 miles sometimes.

Start adding boost to this little powerplant, and you may have to do some work down the road.

All in all, it's a solid driver, with some eccentricities: IAC is commonly faulty, some complain about a "clunk" in the TR3650 transmission, and general suspension & interior concerns.

I average a 100 mile commute to work every day. I have mostly cruise control on at about 75 MPH. Depending on traffic, of course, I get about 20-22 MPG. I have some mods thought that would change my gas mileage (rear end gears, open exhaust)

Running stock I was getting 18-20 mpg city. Went to 3.73s and got 16-19mpg. Put on the supercharger and now I get 13-15mpg. You get the idea. The car is what you make it.

Mine is daily driven 365 days a year and i love it to death.

I love mine with small mods such as exhaust and no gears i got 28mpg highway about 18 city cause i drove it a bit harder than the highway. Gears i still get 18 city but like 24highway. I love my car and dont plan on ever selling it for anything.

Love mine, and it is my only car.
I drive 60 miles a day for work and get around 22-24 mpg with my mods.

They have their normal ware and tear. i t's nice that they're such common cars to work on that there are quite a few shops around and fairly cheap compared to imports to fix (depending). :)

i have a 96' but it's generally the same powerplant (04 has more power stock) i got about 17 city and 22 highway stock i get about 15 city 18 highway now with: well a lot of stuff, still N/A read my garage page under my avatar for mods. Love the car, even good for winter. W/ some good springs struts and minor other susp. mods you wont even regret having a solid axle. Buy it, unless u can afford an 05':D

99 GT here and I have used mine on and off as a daily driver since new. 65,000 miles and its still a blast. Although mine has never rattled like alot of people say theirs do. Guess I got a good one.

21mpg usually.

i have got to agree that i love my car. never want to get rid of it. although keeping them stock is the hard part. mine is garaged and not daily driven anymore. to drive daily was my intent when i bought it but that changed quickly!

I DD my '03.

I also own a Fox. The newer Mustangs are MUCH more refined in feel.

I don't really have any squeaks or rattles at 40K miles. Car has been great for me.

The 03-04's have a steeper 0.63 5th gear (vs 0.67 in 02-earlier) so at 75MPH i'm only spinning 2000RPM. I've done a best of 28MPG on one trip using cruise control and 5th with no traffic.

In town it's between 17-20, but that's because i rev the gears out too much to hear the exhaust.

Mine is basically stock save for appearance mods, a MGW shifter, cat-back flows and 13" front MACH 1 brakes (due to crappy Massachusetts drivers cutting me off all the time)