Thinking of getting a newer car and have a few questions

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I have an '87 GT. It is mainly stock except the few things in my signature. It is in great shape mechanicaly and has 118K on it. The only thing is becuase of some less than wonderfull body work the previous owner had done the drivers side 1/4 needs to be fixed. They used way to much bondo and it is starting to bubble. I am looking at atleast a couple grand to have it repaired and the car painted. However the rest of the paint and body looks great so I am pretty sure I could still get atleast 3K for the car. I was thinkning of selling it and my '93 4 popper notch (for about 1K) and putting it twoards a 99 or up GT. I know alot about the 5.0 , but nothing about the 4.6.

I know it isn't uncommon for people to put 200K miles on an original 5.0 engine. Would you guys say the 4.6 is just a reliable? I know the 4.6 doesn't have near the aftermarket the 5.0 has, but as you can see from my sig I don't do alot of mods anyway. It would probably just get some exhaust. Also do you think it is realistic to look for a good used one with low miles in the 13-14K range? I was thinking if I found one around there and put about 5K down it would put my payments around 250 a month, sound about right? I have never bought or owned a newer car. Basically I wanna be convinced of why I should get the newer stang over my 5.0 LOL. Any advice or anything I should know to look at when shopping for one it greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys

• Sponsors (?)

The Shape said:
I have an '87 GT. It is mainly stock except the few things in my signature. It is in great shape mechanicaly and has 118K on it. The only thing is becuase of some less than wonderfull body work the previous owner had done the drivers side 1/4 needs to be fixed. They used way to much bondo and it is starting to bubble. I am looking at atleast a couple grand to have it repaired and the car painted. However the rest of the paint and body looks great so I am pretty sure I could still get atleast 3K for the car. I was thinkning of selling it and my '93 4 popper notch (for about 1K) and putting it twoards a 99 or up GT. I know alot about the 5.0 , but nothing about the 4.6.

I know it isn't uncommon for people to put 200K miles on an original 5.0 engine. Would you guys say the 4.6 is just a reliable? I know the 4.6 doesn't have near the aftermarket the 5.0 has, but as you can see from my sig I don't do alot of mods anyway. It would probably just get some exhaust. Also do you think it is realistic to look for a good used one with low miles in the 13-14K range? I was thinking if I found one around there and put about 5K down it would put my payments around 250 a month, sound about right? I have never bought or owned a newer car. Basically I wanna be convinced of why I should get the newer stang over my 5.0 LOL. Any advice or anything I should know to look at when shopping for one it greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys

bro do it. i had my 92 fox for 5 years and loved everything about it (didnt care for newer body stangs). but i had many problems at the end and decided that i needed something newer. of course i couldnt break away from the stangs so i bought my 00Gt and i couldnt be happier. these cars are fast stock, plus the styling is much nicer inside (as opposed to the square interior of the fox's). trust me you will love it. go for a test drive and see

In most applications the 4.6s are very reliable. Police Crown Vics (which has a 2v, just like GT) are getting better than 200k before major problems (I've seen a few make it around 300k). On Mustangs, they are usually good to about 140-180k (mine went at 150, rings of course). People tend to drive them hard, which reduces their lifespan a little. The tight tolerances of the mod motors has given them Honda-like(sorry) reliability. I know it's hard to believe, but Ford actually improved the Mustang for the better.

Buy it, you will love it.

13-14K range? Go for a 99 or 01 Cobra. Just to get an idea, take a look at autotrader.com. If I were you, I'd wait until the '05 comes out, then we'll have the "older" body style and prices should drop alot.