Thinking of purchasing this lock cylinder kit. Any thoughts?

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
My Cobra's key (previous owner didn't have the spare) has seen better days. I tried getting replacement keys (from a Ford dealership, no less) and neither of them would fit into the cylinders or ignition. I always have to unlock it from the passenger side since the plastic lock cylinder clip (the one that mechanically links the cylinder to the latch to unlock the door when the key is turned) is broken on the driver's side. I had to spray lubricant into the passenger side a few months ago because it was becoming very difficult to insert the key; I also saw metal shavings when I would remove it. Needless to say, I'm worried about eventually being locked out of my car or having to crawl in through the trunk. That being said, I don't want more than one key for everything and have only found one complete set for sale from Mustangs Unlimited. Problem is, it's a little pricey at $264.95. Do you think this is worth it? I haven't been able to find a full lock set anywhere else; even LRS only seems to sell lock cylinder sets for foxes. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It's kind of weird, usually I would go for something like that. I'm not a big stealership fan, but my friend had a bunch of lock problems with his Cobra recently. He went to the dealership, and they redid them all for around $100. Not sure if the dealership in your area offers this service or not.

Kurt

I'm certain none of the dealerships here in Germany have any Mustang parts. :( My options are limited over here, which is why I was considering the kit. It's the only one I've been able to find that's complete and even includes the glove box lock.

Wow, that's expensive stuff.
Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but I'd want them cast from gold for that price.
Yeah, I'm a cheapskate... ;)

Maybe it's the going rate for such a complete set, maybe it's a case of "You need this, and where else are you going to find it cheaper?"...
I hope it works out for you.

I don't know if car locks are like home locks, but it would be nice if you could just take a random set of good cylinders to the locksmith and have him key them all alike. For many locks, it is just a matter of a minute or two of work to rekey them, but I don't know if that is true for these locks.

Wow, that's expensive stuff.
Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but I'd want them cast from gold for that price.
Yeah, I'm a cheapskate... ;)

Maybe it's the going rate for such a complete set, maybe it's a case of "You need this, and where else are you going to find it cheaper?"...
I hope it works out for you.

I don't know if car locks are like home locks, but it would be nice if you could just take a random set of good cylinders to the locksmith and have him key them all alike. For many locks, it is just a matter of a minute or two of work to rekey them, but I don't know if that is true for these locks.
It is pricey; I just wanted a complete set that was keyed the same. I'll probably find a much cheaper set somewhere after this one arrives. :rolleyes:

It may be as you say even for car locks. The only problem is that I'm stationed in Germany right now. Locksmiths here are ridiculously expensive. Not to mention that there is a distinct difference between American-style locks and what you generally see here in Europe; it would probably cost even more than the going rate.

Yeah, if you were on this side of the pond, it's generally about 10-20 bucks a lock to have them re-keyed if you bring them the new locks and the old key.

Another option: if you don't have factory keyless or alarm, you could add it (OEM or aftermarket) and save your mechanical unlocking for when you really need it.

Yeah, if you were on this side of the pond, it's generally about 10-20 bucks a lock to have them re-keyed if you bring them the new locks and the old key.

Another option: if you don't have factory keyless or alarm, you could add it (OEM or aftermarket) and save your mechanical unlocking for when you really need it.
I actually talked to a dealership in Dover, DE when I was still stationed there about installing the OEM keyless entry module. The diagrams seem to suggest that it wouldn't be incredibly difficult, but they weren't interested in doing it. I would love to have OEM keyless entry. Then I would be more comfortable with perhaps shaving the passenger side lock in the future.

Are you sure you don't have it already? The module is in the driver's side of the trunk. You might have it, but the fobs were lost. If so, you can get a fob and program it yourself.

The kit arrived today (that is to say, I picked it up at the post office today). I'll see if I can make time to install everything tomorrow. I'll try to take pictures and make a how-to thread out of it. I was surprised to find the package notice in my PO Box since I never received any kind of shipping confirmation e-mail from them.