This could be my problem.

wht87gt

Mar 16, 2003
Oxford, MA
So I've been having problems with my headlights. They only come on when I hold pressure against the multifunction switch, almost like I was putting my highbeams on but not actually clicking it into the highbeam setting. ( hope that make sense to everyone ) So I took the MF switch out today and this is what I found. I know someone on here must have had this problem before. So now I don't know if it's the MF switch thats the problem or the wiring or maybe both. The MF switch doesn't seem to have any damage from the heat that melted the harness. Seeing that these damn switches are so expensive I don't want to go out and get one if it's not the problem.

View attachment 366114

View attachment 366116

View attachment 366118

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like your headlight feed wire that overheated. It's happened many times before. As I recall, there is a replacement harness out there. If you haven't, install a relay on the fog lights as well.

For right now, you can remove the pins and manually connect the harness to see if the MF switch works.

Good luck.

As JT pointed out, it's a common problem. I'm almost positive the replacement harness comes with heavier gauge wiring to prevent a reoccurance of this problem. It's almost as if Ford was aware your car could burn and tried to save money by repairing them on a case by case basis versus issuing a recall.

Yup, this should be a recall issue, but it's never been addressed.

The problem is because the headlight switch actually passes the voltage needed to run the headlights vs activating a relay setup to run power.

There are instructions on how to rewire it safely.

As long as you're going to be rewiring things.....................

I chose to put relays on low beams, highs and fogs. This completely removes the stress on the switchgear, keeping it less than one amp. And if you need to be tinkering around on the the wiring anyhow................

Good luck.