thoughts on this retro roller cam

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
Well, I am about to get some extra payola in the check, and now is the time to pretty much rebuild my whole 69 Cougar. I'm looking at this roller cam:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27070416162...21&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr
And this bottom end kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150622897710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
My decision is made. I have been agonizing over this for the last three years. The only remainin concerns I have, are if my T5 will hold up, and for how long, and if KB Pistons has something for a trick flow head...
Is anyone using this cam? Experinces, actual performance, anything about the combo? The car already has 670 Holley, air gap intake, full MSD ignition, headers, and 3.89 gears.

• Sponsors (?)

Good cam choice. trick flow offers porting for those heads. you might want to upgrade the valve springs, and the 3.89 gears might be too much with the amount of torque you'll be making.

should be a decent running street motor. the bottom end stroker kit looks to be a bit low quality, but top end looks good ! upgrade the mains & rod bolts with good hardware ( ARP) and i think it will be just fine for street use. have fun !

The cam kit comes with springs, I will sell the springs off the TF heads as new. I'm planning on studs for the heads, and upgraded hardware for the bottom end. KB does NOT make a piston for this application, I have an email request in to Diamond pistons, to see what they can do. If it's not an off the shelf item, maybe they can cut out a set for me.

The cam kit comes with springs, I will sell the springs off the TF heads as new. I'm planning on studs for the heads, and upgraded hardware for the bottom end. KB does NOT make a piston for this application, I have an email request in to Diamond pistons, to see what they can do. If it's not an off the shelf item, maybe they can cut out a set for me.

Hi Mate,
Check with Probe. I'm running similar heads and these pistons:

Attachments

• engine without heads.JPG
    engine without heads.JPG
    560.2 KB · Views: 131
Which similar heads? Those look like a straight cut valve relief? Honestly, the heads are the biggest headache on this process! The ones I bought would be great for a 5.0, up to a decent 347. I really wish I hadn't bought the trick flow because of the piston concerns. Can you run a straight cut valve relief? Sure. Will that take maximum advantage of the twisted wedge design? no...

Which similar heads? Those look like a straight cut valve relief? Honestly, the heads are the biggest headache on this process! The ones I bought would be great for a 5.0, up to a decent 347. I really wish I hadn't bought the trick flow because of the piston concerns. Can you run a straight cut valve relief? Sure. Will that take maximum advantage of the twisted wedge design? no...

Hi,
I'm running TFS- 51400002 170 TWs. The concern you need to address with TWs is knowing the intake valve is "twisted", therefore, when running higher lift cams, that second relief step comes more into play. I read somewhere, when running TWs and a cam with a lift at duration exceeding .500 things can get ugly with "straight cut" pistons. My cam's lift is .570/.562, these pistons allow me to run these higher lifts. TWs are very good heads. I would trade pistons before trading heads, if running big lifts, or, lighten up on the cam. Good Luck!

HI,
They are part of their SRS line .Their P/N is 10666 -. 040. However, be aware, the ".040" refers to my over-bore size. Also, you need to know what CH (compression height) dimensions, you may need. These have a CH of 1.175. I'm running a 331 stroker kit. My rods are 5.400s. With these rods, the reduction in my block height (through various decking true-ups), and milling approximately .013" off the top of these pistons, my pistons are out of the hole .005".
So, it's not quite as simple as ordering a set of pistons, except that you want the dual relief valve cuts.
Here's the Summit link:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PBP-10666-040/?rtype=10
I see where Summit comments "Designed for standard cylinder heads, will not fit Twisted Wedge® cylinder heads." This is not true! I'm running this combo of TFS -TW heads, as I mentioned, with a cam lifts of .570/.562. without any problems. So, I don't know why they make this statement. I'm going to contact them about this statement.