Throttle by wire?

• Sponsors (?)

MustangGT01 said:
Exactly. And if the government were really all that bent on stopping pollution they would allow the import of of other vehicles built in countries that have even better emmisions standards.

I also don't drive a car new enough that would make that neccesary.

1. Please name another country that has stricter emissions standards than the US.

2. Well this is the core of the problem, that is older cars, that as you would say, are "all farked up". In most states with emissions testing, if it will cost more than $150 to fix your gross poluting old vehicle, they give you a pass. So we have clapped out old POSs that put out more crap than 10,000 new vehicles still on the road. If you can't pass emissions the law should be "send it to the crusher".

351CJ said:
1. Please name another country that has stricter emissions standards than the US.

2. Well this is the core of the problem, that is older cars, that as you would say, are "all farked up". In most states with emissions testing, if it will cost more than $150 to fix your gross poluting old vehicle, they give you a pass. So we have clapped out old POSs that put out more crap than 10,000 new vehicles still on the road. If you can't pass emissions the law should be "send it to the crusher".

That's kind of a yes and no situation. I don't think a 65 Shelby mustang would meet current emissions standards. But should it be sent to the crusher? No can't say that I think it should be.

First just in case you didn't know. The diesel truck motor is becoming less polluting all the time. As a matter of fact. The engines in the new truck Waste management bought for operating in King County Washington. Are greatly reduced. The engines they used to have were very heavy inparticulate matter. Now you can hold white gloves over them. No matter how long you hold it over the exhaust it will not get dirty. So they are focusing on part of the problem.

can't wait to see the first turbodiesel hybrid garbage truck

SVTdriver said:
That's kind of a yes and no situation. I don't think a 65 Shelby mustang would meet current emissions standards. But should it be sent to the crusher? No can't say that I think it should be.

I'm not talking about meeting current emissions requirements, I only talking about meeting the requirements of the year the vehicle was built. This is what the emissions law federal law says. It also says that cars older than 25 years are expempt from emissions requirements. I know this well becuse I used to have some "classics".

What I'm talking about the the bozo that's cruising around in a trashed 1990 Nissian pickup that is pouring copious quantities blue oil smoke out the tail pipe or the idiot riding around it a clapped out 1983 LTD that is running so rich that it's chugging along spewing tons of black smoke because its carburator is trashed. But both this vehicles get an exempt emissions stiker because the ring and valve job on the Nissian would cost more than $150 as would a new carb for the LTD. The rules say that if the repairs are too expensive they get off scott free. This exemption of gross poluters makes the entire emissions requirements and inspections a joke.

351CJ said:
What I'm talking about the the bozo that's cruising around in a trashed 1990 Nissian pickup that is pouring copious quantities blue oil smoke out the tail pipe or the idiot riding around it a clapped out 1983 LTD that is running so rich that it's chugging along spewing tons of black smoke because its carburator is trashed. But both this vehicles get an exempt emissions stiker because the ring and valve job on the Nissian would cost more than $150 as would a new carb for the LTD. The rules say that if the repairs are too expensive they get off scott free. This exemption of gross poluters makes the entire emissions requirements and inspections a joke.
We have no such exemption in Oregon. Visible smoke is automatic failure, and if your car is 1975 or newer it has to have all of its original functioning smog equipment, and pass tests appropriate to the year it was made. There are no exceptions to the rule based on how much it costs to fix it. As a result, I've seen people on the road with 1980 vehicles with tags from 1990. That's a problem of enforcement, though...

Dave