Throttle by wire?

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by BLOWN95GT, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Ilsimen

Ilsimen New Member

:stupid:
  2. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

1. Please name another country that has stricter emissions standards than the US.

2. Well this is the core of the problem, that is older cars, that as you would say, are "all farked up". In most states with emissions testing, if it will cost more than $150 to fix your gross poluting old vehicle, they give you a pass. So we have clapped out old POSs that put out more crap than 10,000 new vehicles still on the road. If you can't pass emissions the law should be "send it to the crusher".
  3. SVTdriver

SVTdriver Founding Member

That's kind of a yes and no situation. I don't think a 65 Shelby mustang would meet current emissions standards. But should it be sent to the crusher? No can't say that I think it should be.
  4. Rootus

Rootus Officially Addicted

Careful, that's the first step to saying that you can no longer own that nice V8 you so enjoy, everything will be a three-cylinder Geo Metro.
  5. NewPony'05

NewPony'05 New Member

can't wait to see the first turbodiesel hybrid garbage truck
  6. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

I'm not talking about meeting current emissions requirements, I only talking about meeting the requirements of the year the vehicle was built. This is what the emissions law federal law says. It also says that cars older than 25 years are expempt from emissions requirements. I know this well becuse I used to have some "classics".

What I'm talking about the the bozo that's cruising around in a trashed 1990 Nissian pickup that is pouring copious quantities blue oil smoke out the tail pipe or the idiot riding around it a clapped out 1983 LTD that is running so rich that it's chugging along spewing tons of black smoke because its carburator is trashed. But both this vehicles get an exempt emissions stiker because the ring and valve job on the Nissian would cost more than $150 as would a new carb for the LTD. The rules say that if the repairs are too expensive they get off scott free. This exemption of gross poluters makes the entire emissions requirements and inspections a joke.
  7. Rootus

Rootus Officially Addicted

We have no such exemption in Oregon. Visible smoke is automatic failure, and if your car is 1975 or newer it has to have all of its original functioning smog equipment, and pass tests appropriate to the year it was made. There are no exceptions to the rule based on how much it costs to fix it. As a result, I've seen people on the road with 1980 vehicles with tags from 1990. That's a problem of enforcement, though...

Dave