Throttle sticks / have to tap accelerator pedal

smokinit2

Nov 15, 2003
Miami, Fla.
:bang: 1992 GT 5spd throttle sticks/ clean throttle body & plate with cloth there is build up I'll remove it month later it starts again Seems Someone suggests..... :lol: Why not put a return spring?.... :eek: But if you put a return spring like in the "carburated" days of old. Would this work on a fuel injected system? :scratch: Would that rapid return of a spring, when you let go of the throttle harm the engine?????? :dunno: That would be my concern, any ideas,suggestions would appreciate :banana: thanks. Al .................... :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

Sure sounds like the TB is sticking. I have a spring on both of my 95's and the 4 banger. If you don't have a spring on the TB, I suggest getting one. Thats what their for, returning the pedal. If that does not apply, you may have a catching cable, which is fairly rare but could happen. Replace the cable in that instance.

CB

a return spring would be a bit of a bandaid, IMHO. i would rather fix the actual problem. if Tony's method works, whahoo!

if not, find where it is binding and clearance it (if the butterfly is hitting the TB, etc). some butterflys allow adjustment to get it dialed in.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
a return spring would be a bit of a bandaid, IMHO. i would rather fix the actual problem. if Tony's method works, whahoo!

if not, find where it is binding and clearance it (if the butterfly is hitting the TB, etc). some butterflys allow adjustment to get it dialed in.

good luck.

What I "conveneintly" forgot to mention is the trouble shooting that led up to my little fix. I first thought the factory return spring on the throttle cable was weak. So, i took about 1" of 3\8" fuel line, split it, pulled the spring back off the plate or "stop" it rests against, & zip tied the hose on to increase the throttle return spring pressure. I still had a sticking throttle & it was even more difficult to modulate the gas pedal than before. :bang: I then decided the throttle cable must have been kinked in the engine swap(former 4cyl car) & I bought a brand new throttle cable assembly from Ford. Wrong again! :bang: I then sprayed WD40 around & under the throttle body; including under the TPS. It would "free up" for a day or two then return to it's sticking bastard self. Finally, a friend mentioned trying graphite. I couldn't find regular powdered graphite at the local store; but they had the spray graphite....

tonydalrymple said:
What I "conveneintly" forgot to mention is the trouble shooting that led up to my little fix. I first thought the factory return spring on the throttle cable was weak. So, i took about 1" of 3\8" fuel line, split it, pulled the spring back off the plate or "stop" it rests against, & zip tied the hose on to increase the throttle return spring pressure. I still had a sticking throttle & it was even more difficult to modulate the gas pedal than before. :bang: I then decided the throttle cable must have been kinked in the engine swap(former 4cyl car) & I bought a brand new throttle cable assembly from Ford. Wrong again! :bang: I then sprayed WD40 around & under the throttle body; including under the TPS. It would "free up" for a day or two then return to it's sticking bastard self. Finally, a friend mentioned trying graphite. I couldn't find regular powdered graphite at the local store; but they had the spray graphite....
sorry if you took that personally. i figured you had exhausted other things first. i only said what i did, as some TB's say in the instructions to adjust the butterfly. it would suck to jump through a lot of hoops when a simple adjustment would have cured it (like you tried to do). i speak from experience on doing things backwards. LOL. i have done involved 'fixes' to later find that i could have adjusted something in the first place and it would have fixed it. :bang:
add to this, that having the TB stick at WOT could be very dangerous - i would want to know i exhausted all possibilities and fixed it as properly i could.
so sorry Tony - that was my perspective; my comments were not directed at you :cheers:

Al: you are sure it is the butterfly that is sticking? i just had to ask. one can disconnect the throttle cable at the TB and test each (TB vs cable).separately.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
sorry if you took that personally. i figured you had exhausted other things first. i only said what i did, as some TB's say in the instructions to adjust the butterfly. it would suck to jump through a lot of hoops when a simple adjustment would have cured it (like you tried to do). i speak from experience on doing things backwards. LOL. i have done involved 'fixes' to later find that i could have adjusted something in the first place and it would have fixed it. :bang:
add to this, that having the TB stick at WOT could be very dangerous - i would want to know i exhausted all possibilities and fixed it as properly i could.
so sorry Tony - that was my perspective; my comments were not directed at you :cheers:

Al: you are sure it is the butterfly that is sticking? i just had to ask. one can disconnect the throttle cable at the TB and test each (TB vs cable).separately.

good luck.

I never took your comments personally or incorrectly. :nice: I felt relaying my experience might in some way be helpful. I'm quite thick skinned & i don't take words too seriously anyway. Eventually, you will find that i like to twist words around & stab people with them on occasion to simply amuse myself.....:stick:

I get that problem from time to time. The cure for mine is to remove the t.b. and clean the snot out of it. I even remove the blade and remove all deposits. The clearance between the blade and the t.b. is fairly small. Just a tad bit of carbon buildup can cause the t.b. to stick. My symptoms were: Hanging idle, difficult to accelerate smoothly, accelerator pedal felt notchy.

That same thing was happening to me before i put my car away for the winter. I tried everything...i cleaned it out thoroughly like 3 times and tried all sorts of different sprays and lubes and it would be ok for about a day or two and then right back to sticking. I tried adjusting the blade but that only messed up my idle. I checked the cable as best i could and then checked where the cable attaches to the TB...again it didnt help. I have heard that putting a stiffer spring in place of the original spring makes the problem go away as well. This is possibly the most annoying problem to have with a stang b/c it still drives and runs fine....but it looks like you cant drive for $h@t b/c you have to crack the throttle open before you start to let the clutch out and then try to catch it before the TB blade closes and gets stuck again!! what a PITA

millhouse said:
I get that problem from time to time. The cure for mine is to remove the t.b. and clean the snot out of it. I even remove the blade and remove all deposits. The clearance between the blade and the t.b. is fairly small. Just a tad bit of carbon buildup can cause the t.b. to stick. My symptoms were: Hanging idle, difficult to accelerate smoothly, accelerator pedal felt notchy.
Thats the exact symptoms. I couldn't of discribed it better :nice: . Hanging idle, difficult to accelerate smoothly, accelerator pedal felt notchy..... Will do :) , much thanks, :banana: Al........ :spot:

tonydalrymple said:
I bought a can of spray graphite, removed the TPS, sprayed the area underneath it really well,(yes, your lubing the top of the throttle shaft), & reinstalled the TPS & set it to .97V. Problem gone for the last 6 months...... Hopefully for longer!;)
Will also try with spraying the graphite :nice: , much thanks, :banana: :nice: Al............ :spot:

My pedal used to stick. I notice that the injector wire loom running under the throttle body was dragging on the accelerator cable mechanism under the TB.
I also noticed the return spring and the ball and socket under the TB where the cable snaps onto the TB were very dry. Lubed pivot ball and spring + zip tied injector wire loom out of the way and problem fixed.