Time for new exhaust - need advice

spock2001us

Aug 23, 2005
Exhaust finally blew up....and muffler parts are dangling from underneath my car. I had previously replaced the mufflers at a shop, but now I will replace the whole thing. Of course no shop will put an x or H pipe on, so I will tackle the job myself.

From reading, shorty unequal length headers appear to be the easiest to install. Also, should I use an X pipe or an H pipe? Do I buy Cat-back exhaust and attach to the x/h pipe?

One other stupid question. What is the best way to get to the exhaust? Ramps, or jack stands front and back, I also have access to a fork lift. I hate going underneath the car (see Mark Fidrich). For some reason I see my car on 4 jackstands and I am underneath...while banging on something, the car rolls off the jack stands and I am dead....lol....perhaps Jack stands up front and the fork lift holding up the rear with something underneath the forks for safety?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

if your going for cheap,the summit h pipe is ok,but you will HAVE to weld the cross over togeather when you get it all adjusted into position,the clamp will NEVER hold.
also the car should be just fine on 4 stands,thats the way i do it.

Use a good set of jackstands! I think mine are of the 4-ton variety. They are HEAVY!

I use the black plastic ramps for the front and then jack up the rear to put the jackstands under the rear axle tubes to level out the car.

Once it is suspended on the ramps and stands I give the car a good shake side to side. It should feel very solid. I don't try to knock the car off the stands but I give it enough effort to move the suspension quite a bit. Safety first! :nice:

As for products I can't say enough good things about my Pypes catted X-pipe and Pypes Violater catback system. They fit nicely and are not too bad to install by yourself. And, they are usually less expensive than the others brands. :nice:
I also run BBK equal length short tube headers that are ceramic coated. They have held up well for the last 5 years. Yes, they require a bit more effort to install. But nothing that is too difficult.

Get some BBK unequal shorties, O/R H or X, and some cat-back like Flowmaster or Pypes.

This set-up should be easy to install and relatively cheap too.

If you plan on doing your own work, investing in a set of QUALITY jack stands and maybe a creeper is a good idea, Might as well be comfortable when working.

forget all the these mufflers and go for magnaflows. i switch from flowmasters to these and never looked back. the sound is addicting. its good w/ h-pipe and long tubes but equal length shorties will be fine.

MAGNAFLOWS FTMTW:nice:

I'm a big on Dynomax Ultraflows, but if you want a little more sound and versatility go with Warlocks. With the Warlocks, you can uncap them for killer sound or run them through the tailpipes when you want it quiet. Uncapped they out perform almost any muffler, and they are cheap. Get the standard muffler inlet tubes from Summit or where ever. I also suggest the Mac tailpipes. They have a nice clean 2.5" outlet tube, and they also come with a ball and socket joint just in front of the axle. All the other tubes I have seen come as one piece, which means if you ever want to take them out, you have to cut them down and re weld them.

Kurt

I know what you're saying about the jackstands, back when I was green(er) at this it didn't look right to me. One thing my uncle taught me, and you should do it anyway to protect the pavement, is to put inch thick boards (I use plywood squares but same deal) underneath the base of the jackstands. When you jack the car they will visibly sink into the boards. Saves your drive way and provides a tiny bit more peace of mind.

I always jack the front up, put in the jackstands, then jack the back up and place the jacks under the axles like said above, and if I can, I leave the jack in the raised position under the differential anyway.

Just know that people have been doing this basically since cars were invented and unless you're on uneven ground you'll be fine.

If you put enough sideways pressure on a nut, you will rip the head right off of it before the car will even move. I've also had a 104 pound chocolate lab get loose from my mother and come tearing over to come see me under the car, get the leash caught on a jack stand, and the jack stand stood that dog up HARD and the stand didn't even twitch. It's quite safe but still scared the crap out of me!!!

Adam

HPIM1750.jpg

HPIM1756.jpg