Tips on starting for first time?

KoolKat_Milw

Jun 3, 2004
Hi everyone,

I've come across a 1969 Mustang Coupe that has been asleep for 8 years now. It hasn't been started in that time or anything, but was in very good shape before. Now before you people call the authorities to report the neglect, I need your help in firing this beast up. I want to make sure that I prep everything so no permanent damage occurs when I turn it over.

Here is what I know about the car: It has a 351W (<20k miles on rebuild), 4bbl Holley carb, drum brakes, power steering (though not functioning since there is not belt), and an unknown transmission.

Here is what I find necessary to do before just turning it over (not driving):

-Rebuild carb (probably dried seals)

-change oil/filter/gas/coolant

-new spark plugs, battery, replace points with electric ignition

Have I missed anything? I'm worried about the engine since it hasn't moved in so long......it appears there was oil in before it was stored. Can I just turn it over or will it cease up??

Your initial and continued help would be greatly appreciated. The car is beautiful and needs to be back on the road.....please help :)

Regards,

KoolKat_Milw

• Sponsors (?)

Yea the carb is probably toasted, but I wouldn't worry about the rebuild just to fire it up.
Use some starting fluid to get it to pop over.
drain the oil and prime the oil pump with the new oil once topped off.
get a good battery.
go for it.

I'm no expert here, but wouldn't it be a good idea to spray some kind of lube in the cylinders and turn them over by hand a few times to get the rings sliding before trying to start it?

If there was any moisture in there, then there may be significant rust built up....

I just cracked open an '82 351W that sat a lot less time and it had plenty of rust in a couple of the cylinders. Fourtunately, I'm tearing it down completely for a rebuild/upgrade.

I'm in agreement with Homercidal - I'd lube the cylinders and turn the engine by hand to make sure nothing is seized. I'd also replace the spark plug wires and, if needed, all the wiring in the ignition.

Save yourself some electrical headache and check/replace all the ground wiring as well.

If there is any rubber hose used for the fuel line, replace that - it's cheap! A new fuel filter would be a good idea too.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info so far guys :) I really appreciate it and will try to get this thing rolling soon. As for pictures.....I will definately post some once I get her cleaned up!

Thanks again guys!

-KK

Do all the above, and make sure the motor will turn over by hand before actually cranking it, Just make sure your prime the pump and prime the carb too. Change out the fuel filter, coil, plug wires, cap and rotor just for cheap insurance...Good luck