Tired Of My Sn95

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i know this is an SN95 board but just throwing this out there, a while back i got into a non at fault accident and totalled my car, i used the insurance money and my tax return to buy myself a 98 GT which at the time only had 88,500 miles on it for $3,500. KBB said it was worth about 4k with all the options included (its a nice car i must say, big improvement over my 99 dodge stratus lol) so i went for it. I really wanted a fox body, but my mother (im a student and still live at home) really didn't want me to get a 30+ y/o car so we settled on the 98, she liked it because back in the day she had a 95 GT so it was nostalgic for her, anyways i have had continuous intake manifold issues with it due to the fact its made of plastic and im just sick of it, ive put many hours of working on a car just to make it driveable (no performance mods!! Just boring maintenance) that i didnt really want that much in the first place, i just bought it out of compromise, ive finally got it right and was thinking about making a craigslist ad for it to trade for a fox body as its a lighter car and cheaper to mod than an SN95 and i love the look of them. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Get what you want within your means always. That goes for not just the car game but in the future with a home etc. No use keeping a car you aren't into so put it up and see what happens. Be advised a fox will nickle and dime you as well unless you buy a fully restored one which are usually a good 15K.

Reactions: 1 user
The price range you are in should be considered a toy or project car, not your primary vehicle. You shouldn't expect to swap it for another vehicle that's even older, believing it'll be more reliable.

Edit: The phrase "cheaper to mod" can't really be used in this hobby either. Everything is expensive. Your best bet is to fix what is wrong with it now, properly, and enjoy it in its current configuration until you can afford to play with it.

I think you should buy a reliable DD until you're in the position to do what you want with an income to support it.

Are you saying a fox is unreliable?
That wholly depends on how many Autozone part and bookface driven, hack modifications have been done to the car.

Showroom new Fox bodies are tough to find nowadays. :)
To be fair Im only willing to buy one if its stock, or atleast hasnt had anything done to the engine, (I wouldnt mind if it had an exhaust or whatever) and to be honest Im not too worried about reliabilty, I have the means to fix whatever could potentially go wrong with it within reason

To be fair Im only willing to buy one if its stock, or atleast hasnt had anything done to the engine, (I wouldnt mind if it had an exhaust or whatever) and to be honest Im not too worried about reliabilty, I have the means to fix whatever could potentially go wrong with it within reason
I just really love the look and style of the fox yaknow

The newest Fox you'll find (stock or otherwise) is only 23 years old. :O_o:

A Fox that's had no engine work? :chin If that's so, it likely needs it desperately. I won't even start on all of the soft parts (bushings, for instance).

A 23 y/o stock Mustang is going to require a decent bit of tear-down and rebuild/replace before it's ready to DD.

Lots of folks pass on the general maintenance and lean hard on what they think are go-fast goodies.

I've got a friend with his Fox that was in good condition stripped down to the frame, replacing all the decades old boring parts, like bushings and whatnot. Just because you can scrape together enough pennies to buy the car doesn't mean you can afford to own it.

I diagnosed and fixed a problem that noone on either thread i started even suggested, so please, don't try ro insult me. I figured a forum for adults would have a more mature atmosphere. (Coming from an 18 year old)
So you did that trouble shooting all by yourself? No help at all from the forums?

Nor have you mentioned the number of things that you changed out even though you were told they were likelyhood good.

Or how about the number of parts that you were thinking about changing before someone took the time to explain why the part in question didn't fit the symptom. That wasn't help? That didn't save you effort/work?

Explain how you figured out that your motor wasn't really overheating even thought you thought it was. No help there?

Did you learn anything from the forums? That wasn't help?

You know what rubs me the most? The fact that we work for NOTHING except for the love of the hobby to help people on forums only to encounter attitudes such as this. With NO regards to the fact that the help given is limited by the information provided by YOU. Us out here in Internet land can't see or hear it. We know nothing about the problem at hand other than what information is provided by you.

Go back and re-read the information provided in your two threads. Note very carefully the parts that you stated were good (multiple times). To come back and say that no one helped you because the problem was found in a part that you said was good. Well.... That's just beyond what I can put into words.

Trouble shooting is a process driven by information. When you pick and choose which tests are run (probably based on how difficult you thought they were). Leaving those that are trying to help in an information vacuum. Or worse yet, run the tests but don't post the results what do you expect?

I stand by every word posted in my threads as fitting to the best of my ability responding to the information provided. I take the time to explain the why behind the thought process. It's not just thowing WAG's out. I have a proven track record of helping people on the forums. Adult or not. I'm done with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I diagnosed and fixed a problem that noone on either thread i started even suggested, so please, don't try ro insult me. I figured a forum for adults would have a more mature atmosphere. (Coming from an 18 year old)

Seriously, this is not a good approach for you.

Most of these guys were wrenching and riding these things since new. It is not an insult to infer your mechanical level through your posts. I mean after all and as previously mentioned, they have to infer in order t help diagnose problems.

I've said this before but it bares repeating. This is not bookface. If you're looking for bookface level advise, you know how to find it.

I would like to address a point that you asked repeatedly. It doesn't require a response of any kind, only a moment of reflection:

In who's hands? :shrug:

The answer varies WIDELY.

Status
Not open for further replies.