To All of You who Did a Ground Up Resto...

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Does your Stang still squeak and rattle after going over every little bump???

For those of you who aren't familiar with my Stangs, I own 2 GT's (well my wife and I have 1 each). My Stang has under $60K original miles on it and I've owned it for 6ish years. My Stang rides very tight and barely makes a sound when going over bumps. My wife's Stang is another story, It has 120K on the clock and it squeaks so much when going over bumps you'd think every screw, nut, bolt, etc was losened a full turn - it just FEELS like an old car. We bought it because it had absolutely 0 rust, 0 mods, and a good price, so it was the perfect car to slowly restore.

Question is - does restoring the car make it "feel" new again or will it always have that "old" feel to it?

• Sponsors (?)

I have 134,000 on my LX and it doesn't rattle, not even the hatch. The only thing that made noise was the center console armrest, so I got a factory delete for it.

I would think, that during the restoration process, that a good majority of squeaks, and rattles would go away, as worn parts are replaced, or loose parts are tightened.

I have 134,000 on my LX and it doesn't rattle, not even the hatch. The only thing that made noise was the center console armrest, so I got a factory delete for it.

I would think, that during the restoration process, that a good majority of squeaks, and rattles would go away, as worn parts are replaced, or loose parts are tightened.

exactly. my car has 150k+ on the chassis, and the only rattle i have is the latch on each side of the back seats. nothing a little electrical tape can't cure though.

Full lenght Max motorsports SFC's help a lot.

As for other squeaks and rattles..i plan on putting sound deadener everywhere in my car. Under the carpet, on the roof, in the quarter panels, anywhere where it will go.

I would rather have a dead silent interior and gain 50-75 pounds of weight.

I used to do restoration on mainly vintage vehicles from the muscle era. On the vehicles we used dynamat on, there was a significant noise reduction, of rattles, and squeaks in the interior cabin.

Use it everywhere you can afford.

I would check the rubber bushings in the sway bar and also the sway bar connectors thats usually the problem if it squeaks alot when hitting bumps at slow speeds. You can check it by spraying wd40 on all the rubber bushings and if it stops for awhile thats your problem

I had rattles and squeaks in my 91 notch with all factory front suspension and stock interior.

I have nothing Hack Job because the entire front suspension is new and 50% of the interior is 2001 stuff which is made better. I also dynomatted the entire floor, firewall, underside of cowl, and undercoated wheel wells etc....it's like a new 2004 Mustang.

How about the rear? Every stock fox body rear UCA and LCA bushings I see in the stock arms are rotted out. I save all of the at the JY, I don't know why because they don't sell, but if it doesn't have aftermarket UCA and LCA's I suggest buying a set. You don't have to go spend 300-400 dollars on MM or Steeda. Just buy some LMR budget set. I bought some for my notch for under 200 dollars. The ride was better, the wheel hop was gone. Just make sure you grease them. I'd also replace the isoslators with poly's. Wipe some grease around those too before install.

If your planning on restoring your car and trying to make it feel tight and new. I'd suggest replacing every one of your bushings/bearings. Installing a full new suspension(Springs/struts/shocks/control arms/bushings/etc) will make a huge difference. Also replace all your door hinges so your doors shut nice. Its just the little things that wear out. And if enough of them wear out your car will start to feel "old". Then again, your car is old and used plently i'd say, so your going to have that until you replace/fix your problems. Put new struts on your hatch, redo the weather stripping. Its all the little things that make a car new. Good luck!