Top Gear America

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Did anyone watch this the other day? I'm really hoping it lasts long enough to actually get good. The cinematography is great, but the casting is terrible. Being a major fan of the BBC version, I'm bummed the US version kicked off the way it did, despite the Lambo trio test which had so much potential to be good. The whole Viper/Apache skit was a great idea, but Tanner Foust is the driest personality I've ever seen on screen and the review was terribly shallow, unlike, say Top Gear UK's review of the Merc Brabus SL. or the Lotus Exige vs Mustang.

Here's to hoping it gets better.

• Sponsors (?)

Didn't care for it too much. It was almost as if History Channel "dumbed" down the show for an American audience. :shrug:

The BBC version with Clarkson, Hammond, and May can't really be "duplicated," without using them in the "new" show - that trio is what made the BBC show work IMHO.

:cheers:

I think they tried to do an exact copy of the BBC show (same type of wise crack jokes) but it does not have the same effect b/c of the casting. Its as if they tried to take an already existing show and tried to copy it hoping no one had heard of BBC Top Gear. BBC Top Gears > America Top Gear.

I'm a die hard Top Gear UK fan, and have every single episode on my computer. I didn't watch the American one, because it was on at the same time as The Walking Dead. I'm pretty sure it's going to suck, because they are just trying to duplicate the same jokes, like driving into the back of each other's cars.

I don't take the cracks on the American cars too seriously. They're from Britain for Christ sake, the Brits can't make a car to save their lives.

Kurt

I don't think it was all bad. I expected worse, especially when NBC was going to do it. I'll give it time to establish a persona of it's own.

Some other shows I've watched have taken time for characters to develope. I wonder what the first couple of the BBC Top Gear were like?

I'm an old guy and not prone to snap judgements.

On top of the good humor and wit of the BBC version, you get the sense that all three guys truly love cars, especially when they talk about Alfas or E-Type Jags. It's also obvious that they can all drive fairly well, and that they've done their homework before driving something.

They also do an awesome job of taking the dignity out of some very expensive cars and pointing out some of the worst design issues, like the crappy rag top on the Lamborghini Murcielago LP-640 or the super flimsy rear panel on the ZR1 Corvette. You know you are getting their honest opinions when they do a review. And the whole bashing of American cars just keeps the honesty real. Although Hammond loves the old America muscle cars and some of the latest ones, but gets ragged on for it in the show.

But Kurt is right, the first 1-2 seasons or the BBC version weren't gems like they are now, but it's state run and they had enough funding to keep going. They had time to grow into what they are now. Still, I think of who I would have cast into the show and just think they could have done SO much better.

case and point...wasn't one of the jags electrical systems grounded to the positive terminal of the battery?

Yeah, they neglect a lot of the global aspects of car stuff. Jag was owned by Ford, and that's how we ended up with the Lincoln LS. While it is clear they like cars, it's pretty obvious they don't know much about them. It's kind of like the 3 stooges of car review. They make many errors about American cars. Like saying the Corvette has a live rear axle, when in fact it was one of the first cars with independent suspension. Or that it has leaf springs, which is only partially true. Or saying that the Mustang doesn't have a limited slip differential. And their bias against American cars reflects. They love Jags, but say the new Mustang doesn't handle well. The Mustang suspension is based on the Lincoln LS platform, which was taken right from Jaguar. So you can't say you don't like the way a Mustang handles without saying you don't like the way a Jaguar handles. Same goes for the Vette. Clarkon said the transmission sounds like it was "full of spanners," but neglects the same comment with the Aston Martin DB9, which has the exact same transmission. I some what doubt their driving ability; which is also stooge like. Clarkson was comparing the new Z06 against the Audi R8. He couldn't catch up with the R8 while driving the Vette, and consequently said the Vette was too hard to drive. When they finally posted the times, it turns out the Vette was a second and a half faster (which is like a lifetime on that short track). The Vette isn't slow, he just didn't have the skill to drive it.

Kurt

Yeah, they neglect a lot of the global aspects of car stuff. Jag was owned by Ford, and that's how we ended up with the Lincoln LS. While it is clear they like cars, it's pretty obvious they don't know much about them. It's kind of like the 3 stooges of car review. They make many errors about American cars. Like saying the Corvette has a live rear axle, when in fact it was one of the first cars with independent suspension. Or that it has leaf springs, which is only partially true. Or saying that the Mustang doesn't have a limited slip differential. And their bias against American cars reflects. They love Jags, but say the new Mustang doesn't handle well. The Mustang suspension is based on the Lincoln LS platform, which was taken right from Jaguar. So you can't say you don't like the way a Mustang handles without saying you don't like the way a Jaguar handles. Same goes for the Vette. Clarkon said the transmission sounds like it was "full of spanners," but neglects the same comment with the Aston Martin DB9, which has the exact same transmission. I some what doubt their driving ability; which is also stooge like. Clarkson was comparing the new Z06 against the Audi R8. He couldn't catch up with the R8 while driving the Vette, and consequently said the Vette was too hard to drive. When they finally posted the times, it turns out the Vette was a second and a half faster (which is like a lifetime on that short track). The Vette isn't slow, he just didn't have the skill to drive it.

Kurt

They are journalists at heart...government funded ones at that so I take everything they do/say/opinions with a grain of salt. Like the Lightning right hand converted models they complained about the fitment...that truck was never meant to be RHD, the logistics of getting to work really caused a lot of issues Clarkson moaned about. I watch if for the situational comedy, not so much for the automotive fact findings. I do enjoy it when they thrash 100k+ cars though.

I watch the UK version when I come across it on TV and usually enjoy it. Sure they bash the American cars but I have seen some praise too. But the test between the Lotus and the Mustang GT was really apples and oranges, so I don't put much stock in that.

I always liked the jokes about the Stig, at least until they revealed who he really was.

I think that if they launched the show as a show in itself - not an "American version" of anything, I would probably like it better. I think the fact that they are formatting the show exactly the same as the UK version, only with less interesting characters and very much forced humor is what kills it for me. I am a huge fan of the UK version, even despite the hate for American cars (which most of the time is, unfortunately, well deserved). I'm thinking they might be partially endorsed by Suzuki... since they asked Buzz what he thought of the Suzuki... like anyone really cares. I don't think the UK version ever mentioned what kind of car theirs was until the episode where they had to can it for a new one. They always simply called it the "reasonably priced car."

The reviews of the cars on the US version, as stated above, are very shallow and focus completely on how BADASS! and FAST! and COOL! the cars are... while I'll admit that there is little I could find to not like about any Lamborghini product, I always found the fact that the brits wouldn't be blinded by exotic cars' impressive nature to be refreshing. Their humor comes across much more genuine (whether it really is or not) and the little "projects" and challenges are honestly what brings me back to the show. I honestly wouldn't care if they ever had another car review again, as long as they still had to find a way to jump a river with a crappy old car or take a city bus on a rally circuit.

In short, I'll probably watch an episode of the American version on demand if I find myself bored on a Sunday afternoon, but other than that I was pretty disappointed.

I honestly think a great cast member would have been Tim Allen, he has the personality and is a die hard car guy with a great sense of humor.