TOP SPEED ON 2002 GT

• Sponsors (?)

I've hit the speed limiter several times on my 02 GT. It stops at about 148-149MPH. I read on an on-line spec sheet that the speed limiter is indeed 148.
If you have gears other than the originals, then you'll see the car hit 150, and keep pulling because your actually going slower than what the speedometer reads. I do know you can have the speed limiter removed though, I haven't tried it, and I don't think I ever will cause I don't trust myself. As soon as I hit the open road, I'll push the car to its limits.

That's not always a good thing, atleast for me. I already bent a few valves from red lining the car so much.

godspeedX said:
I've hit the speed limiter several times on my 02 GT. It stops at about 148-149MPH. I read on an on-line spec sheet that the speed limiter is indeed 148.
If you have gears other than the originals, then you'll see the car hit 150, and keep pulling because your actually going slower than what the speedometer reads. I do know you can have the speed limiter removed though, I haven't tried it, and I don't think I ever will cause I don't trust myself. As soon as I hit the open road, I'll push the car to its limits.

That's not always a good thing, atleast for me. I already bent a few valves from red lining the car so much.

You sir, are retarded.......and wrong.

If the car came with 16 inch rims stock, then it's limited at approx 125-130. If 17 inch stock, it came with z rated tires and there is NO SPEED limiter. There is a rev limiter though at 6250 rpms. So, if you hit the rev limiter on the dyno, it was most likely in 4th gear (1:1 ratio), not 5th gear. If it was stock gears and 5th gear, the rev limiter wouldn't hit until OVER 200 mph. Rev limiter with 4.10s in 5th gear is around 180 mph.

Again...16inch wheels stock = no z rated tires = 125-130 mph SPEED LIMITER.

17 inch wheels stock = z rated tires = NO SPEED LIMITER...only RPM limiter.

Class dismissed. :spot:

This topic is discussed alot, I think we agreed that if your car came with the Z or ZR tires (17" rims) theres NO limiter, but the car will top out around 150ish, it runs out of power before gearing I *believe* but I have never been up at that speed. Once I hit 120 and things were flying by I decided it was fast enough :p We also foundout that gears do NOT limit the top speed, unless you'd like to go steeper then 4.10s :)