Top Tranny bolts... 98'

89 KS notch

Founding Member
Aug 16, 2000
Topeka KS
Okay what's the trick to getting these damn things out. I've been trying to change my clutch for the last two days and these are the only things holding me up. I've attempted to hit them with an impact through a swivel from the bottom side. I've tried to get to them with a wrench from the top side. WTF!!!

Tomorrow I may just undo the motor mounts and hook my hoist up to the motor so I can get a better angle on the tranny. Surely there's an easier way.

• Sponsors (?)

if you are having problems with it not wanting to loosen then you could get the motor to a point to start it and then let it heat up and then drop the trans suport and lower the back of the trans and then hit it with the wrech that you want to use should work

considering I've got the exhaust and everything off of it already I think I'd be going backwards attempting to do that and it may not work. If I take the motor mounts out I can get a straight shot to the bolts with the impact.

97gtblue said:
i just drop the trans cross member thing and lower the back of the motor down and thne used a swivle.. u migh tneed some pb blast to break it loose
That's what I had to do on my Mazda B4000 pickup. If you are using a transmission jack, just lower it down. This will pull the engine down enough to get to those top bell housing bolts. Pearl02.

Yeah I already did that... The tranny is as low as it'll go... the top of the motor is hitting the firewall.. That's the reason I think I'll break out the engine hoist tonight and undo the motor mounts. Think I'll be able to get straight on to the bolts with the impact versus going through a swivel.