torque boxes - reinforcement for LCAs

xplo89gt

Founding Member
Jul 14, 1999
Boston, MA
A LOT of people say you need torque box reinforcements when you switch to an aftermarket LCA. I bought Maximum Motorsports Adjustable LCAs. I have talked to two different guys at MM and they said with their LCAs you do not need torque box reinforcements as their design wont pull/rip them. They did say other cheaper brands do need them because of their design. I did get a technical explanation in an email which I dont have right here.

So my question is what do you guys know about this?
Please only respond if you have technical/mechanical knowledge/experience about this and not if you've read other posts/heard this or that.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The factory tq boxes are pretty solid, and probally all you'll ever need for a street car, however, the engineers at Ford weren't considering how they would perform durring a launch with slicks. IOW: For a street car, not really nessasary, but if you do a lot of launches, you'll tear them out.

No, I haven't had a set rip out on me, but I know those who have. An old buddy of mine had a tq box rip out on him with stock arms and his was just a stock '86 model, another guy I know has over 500RWHP and launches on slicks many times with no problems.

No you don't need them, but they would be nice.

Regardless of what brand of control arms you install, if you will be running drag radials or slicks, you can and most likely will damage your torque boxes to some degree sooner or later. I purchased a car that ran on drag radials before I got it, and the passenger side torque box was literally a few launches away from pulling completely away from the floorpan. Welded the box back up and immediately installed some tq. box reinforcements. Got mine from Rick91GT and have to say they were extremely nice pieces.
If you are running on street tires and won't be launching/abusing your car, you probably don't need them. Otherwise, just get them. They are cheap insurance and a great peace of mind.

I've seen them tear with stock tires and a lot of abuse, so I wouldn't make the blanket statement that a set of MM control arms means you won't tear them (if I was MM). I will say they're not NEEDED, but you're sure feel better knowing they're out back and not having any problems.

89MustangGX said:
I've seen them tear with stock tires and a lot of abuse, so I wouldn't make the blanket statement that a set of MM control arms means you won't tear them (if I was MM). I will say they're not NEEDED, but you're sure feel better knowing there out back and not having any problems.
Well-said!

Well I guess that's it. I guess I need to find a place to get them and then weld them. I had mixed thoughts on this and even though i just have street tires now, I do like the comfort of knowing everything is ok.

tmoss said:
If his kits are stainless and the body is just carbon steel, better get a GOOD welder to do the owrk.

Just need a welder that knows what they are doing ;) You need to use a 309L rod or wire to weld the stainless to the stock steel.

The only part I ever weld is the top plate (which is located under the rear seat) to the floor board, really you can not get in really good to get a good weld anywhere else. They are made a bolt in item like all the others available and will work fine. I also sell the anti-spreading plates similar to what Wolfe sells. I sell those in Mild Steel and Stainless Steel.

Thank's for all the comments and props guys :nice: