Torque converter questions

braxx

May 23, 2005
Does anyone know if the TC's are physically interchangeable between the '95 302-AODE and '99 3.8L 4R70W?
Can a no-lockup converter be used with out the '95 EEC causing problems?
Thanks,
Josh

• Sponsors (?)

Does anyone know if the TC's are physically interchangeable between the '95 302-AODE and '99 3.8L 4R70W?

I am 99% sure that yes, they do interchange.

Can a no-lockup converter be used with out the '95 EEC causing problems?

Probably not. The EEC would attempt to lock the converter at set TPS and MPH input points. I'm not sure what would happen if it couldn't?

However, you could tune the EEC to respond to it just fine with your Tweecer, so you theoretically should be able to eliminate any potential EEC problems.

But...why do you want to run a non-lockup converter? Are you making real big power?

No, not big power. Just little funds. A good LU style conver will run $500 - $800. I've heard a good Non-LU style can be had for $300-$500.
The difference may be weather or not I get to enjoy my car this year. I may be able to scrounge up to $450 but after that I'm done.

Swarzkopf said:
But...why do you want to run a non-lockup converter? Are you making real big power?

Get a Mild Street Edge from Edge Racing....I think they're like $300.

Your car will be slow with non-lockup converter. Real slow.

I was recently dealing with an EEC issue causing my converter to not lock in second and third gear...this caused my RPMs to shoot to ~4700 after the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, and then to slowly drop back down to ~3500 (at WOT). Not beneficial to performance.