torque tech, KB, or vortech

fromadig91

Jul 27, 2008
Alright guys, I was set on the KB in about a month or so here and as we near the purchase my dad advised me to check out the torque tech and vortech superchargers after reading a few articles in modded mustangs magazine:nonono:. If I were to go twin screw would you suggest torque tech or the infamous KB. Or do i scrape the twin screw idea and go vortech? I know the prices of these kits are similar, install wise which is easier?

• Sponsors (?)

Well the vortech is pretty easy. Its basically a bracet for the blower. LOL

It really depends on what you want.

A Vortech is more street frindly car that if you do play around at low speeds you wont be blowing the tires off all the time. Alot of people say Vortechs are more for the drag strips since they build boost on the top end. With the right setup you can have a nasty Centri on the street though.

The KB is blast too but its a different fun. Alot of people say the KB is more for "street use". They are fun to drive on the street since they make peak tq right off of idle. Traction is an issue at low speeds though and will get worse the more boost you run.

THe Torqe Tech is in the same boat as the KB. I don't know alot about them but I've seen alot of good things from them. Between the KB and the Torqe Tech I would get the KB but thats just me.

Where my setup is, I'm happy with my Vortech if I was making full boost right off of idle it would prolly be to much. Right now my MTs are pressed to hook up at 40mph. From a dig I usually don't see traction until 70mph.

Thats pretty much what I was figuring for the KB and torque tech. But now i'm leaning more towards the Vortec simply for the ease of hooking up :( .....the 10 PSI intercooled kit is the direction I would be headed....anything in perticular I should watch out for? Does this kit come with "everything" or is there a few random items I should purchase ahead of time?

I'm biased, having just purchased a Tork Tech kit myself, but I think they offer the best value right now. Their customer service is also top-notch, and I feel that is important when you're dropping 4 grand.
I find it a little funny that you say there customer service is top notch because there flat out lack of service and knolege is why I didnt buy one of there kits. You can't flat out lie your *** off and expect people you buy your product.

Thats pretty much what I was figuring for the KB and torque tech. But now i'm leaning more towards the Vortec simply for the ease of hooking up :( .....the 10 PSI intercooled kit is the direction I would be headed....anything in perticular I should watch out for? Does this kit come with "everything" or is there a few random items I should purchase ahead of time?

Yes the vortech kits come with EVERYTHING. however you I would suggest you have the tune that you recieve from them check as they are known to be pig rich on the top end.

I find it a little funny that you say there customer service is top notch because there flat out lack of service and knolege is why I didnt buy one of there kits. You can't flat out lie your *** off and expect people you buy your product.

Yes the vortech kits come with EVERYTHING. however you I would suggest you have the tune that you recieve from them check as they are known to be pig rich on the top end.

What did the Tork Tech guys lie about ?

If you are going the Vortech route the MPH Mongoose kit is what you want man. It will come with everything you need INCLUDING a damn good tune. I would also reccomend a A/A IC and the MPH Boost Pipe.

I went with the Paxton IC but alot of guys did the DIY IC and have had good results.

What about procharger, doesnt it have the self contained units making for an easier installation?

Most people either love or hate prochargers. After talking to a few people around here with prochargers most said they wish they would have went with the Vortech (and some ended up switching). I know they used to have problems with leaking seals too.

Explanation, or :bs:

All things I have heard about Tork Tech have been top notch and all dealings I have had with Ron at Fast Specialties have been great. You can't throw a blanketed statement out there like that without an explanation. :notnice:

For my money, its going to be the Tork Tech. Positive Displacement blowers will always get the nod over a centrifugal blower from me for street use. The instant torque and completely controllable on demand power delivery make them ideal for all driving conditions.

The Vortech may be cheaper initially, but when you factor in the additional supporting parts needed in order to run into the same power levels that the base intercooled Tork Tech is able to run, you'll find that they'll cost just about the same.

The Kenne Bell is comparable in performance (although I'd say pound for pound you'll see the Tork Tech will put out about 3-5% more horsepower when the chips are down) And the Tork Tech kit is $500 less money ($4,499 vs $4,999). Not to mention comes with more standard features (large oval bore throttle body, 42lb/hr injectors, heavy duty heat exchanger, fuel pump upgrade and standard 8-rib belt drive system....all these components are option at extra cost with the Kenne Bell.

And as stated before, Kenne Bell is well known for generally hit and miss, or down right horrible customer service.

Explanation, or :bs:

Not to mention comes with more standard features (large oval bore throttle body, 42lb/hr injectors, heavy duty heat exchanger, fuel pump upgrade and standard 8-rib belt drive system....all these components are option at extra cost with the Kenne Bell.

And as stated before, Kenne Bell is well known for generally hit and miss, or down right horrible customer service.

I beg to differ...

The Kenne Bell kits are pretty much plug and play. No drilling oil pan, thorough instructions, injectors, CAI, hoses, idler pullies, boost a pump, fuel rails (if needed), vacuum hoses, heat exchanger, MAF, special tools, tuned chip... everything EXCEPT the throttle body.

KBK11.jpg

KBK03.jpg

KBK04.jpg

KBK05.jpg

KBK06.jpg

KBK07.jpg

KBK08.jpg

As far as customer service... yes it's hard to get a hold of them when you want a answer the same day BUT, they did not let me down and they even replaced a couple parts I messed up at no cost to me. Kenne Bell is worth the price.

EngineBaycorner-1.jpg

Attachments

• KBK11.jpg
    KBK11.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 142
  • KBK03.jpg
    KBK03.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 174
  • KBK04.jpg
    KBK04.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 137
  • KBK05.jpg
    KBK05.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 169
  • KBK06.jpg
    KBK06.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 159
  • KBK07.jpg
    KBK07.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 152
  • KBK08.jpg
    KBK08.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 150
  • EngineBaycorner-1.jpg
    EngineBaycorner-1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 158
I beg to differ...

The Kenne Bell kits are pretty much plug and play. No drilling oil pan, thorough instructions, injectors, CAI, hoses, idler pullies, boost a pump, fuel rails (if needed), vacuum hoses, heat exchanger, MAF, special tools, tuned chip... everything EXCEPT the throttle body.

I don't contest the fact that they are complete or even high quality....only that the Tork Tech kit comes at a lesser price, with better parts as standard equipment.

For example...The large oval bore throttle body and inlet will support a larger volume of air and is more streamlined to increase velocity than the standard KB round inlet. It won't affect the quality of the kit, but you're leaving a few horsepower on the table on the big end and if boost levels are every upgraded, the more restrictive flow of the KB inlet is going to make itself even more apparent. I also forgot to mention the fact that the Tork Teck kit comes standard with a large diameter big tube inlet and 90mm MAF.....components which you probably already know are optional at an added cost with the Kenne Bell....which drives the cost up even further from the standard $4,999 price.

the standard injector size with the Kenne Bell is 36lb/hr where the Tork Teck comes standard with 42lb/hr units. It may not be a big deal for someone who plans on sticking with the stock 9-10psi boost levels, but anything more than that and you might find yourself running out of injector....where the 42lb/hr units will take you well up to the 500hp mark.

The heat exchanger for the Tork Tech is much larger surface area, with a higher capacity and therefore more efficient by comparison, which will control discharge temps more effectively than the Kenne Bell unit.

The Kenne Bells fuel pump upgrade is not a fuel pump upgrade at all. The Kenne Bell kit comes with a Boost-a-Pump wire in unit. Not a bad set up (I've got one myself) but hardly a worthy replacement for a real large capacity fuel pump. I haven't had mine long enough yet to question its performance, but it works simply by increasing the voltage to the stock pump. I neat idea, but I would image in will have an effect on pump longevity in time.

Finally, the Tork Teck comes standard with a separate 8-rib belt drive set up. As I'm sure you know, an 8-rib blower drive system is better at reducing belt slippage than a standard 6-rib system (like Kenne Bell and most other systems are equipped with). Not likely a problem if one never plans on upping their boost levels, but an issue if you get any smaller than the standard supercharger pulley. Another nice feature of the separate belt drive is in the even that you ever did break the serpentine belt (which is more with blown applications) it won't leave you stranded on the side of the road like it would with a uni-drive system, since you've got nothing to turn the water pump without it.

Again, I don't deny for one second that the Kenne Bell is a great kit with a good design. I just think the Tork Tech designers picked up where the Kenne Bell kit left off and improved on its shortcomings to make a better one at a more consumer friendly price. :shrug:

I hope the kit came with that skank in the corner - is that a hole cut out of the mouth that I see?

:rlaugh:

I got that from a local liquor store. Was hoping to put it in my wet bar before my girlfriend and her kids moved in... Wet Bar turned into kids play room. Was going to give it to Greg for free (MyPonyRocks) but he waited too long and my girlfriend "accidentally" dripped some oil on it from my cordless weed eater. I still have "Kelly" in the garage but now she has a drip stain down her top... it's oil, I swear...!!! :D

:D

Honstly i almost bought the Tork Tech kit, but after finding out there NOT smog legal i decided its not worth the effort to remove the kit every 2 years for smog, yuk. The kenne bell kit is SMOG Legal and so is the Vortech. This really depends on where you live, If you in CA, or any other state with high emissions, like me and many others, then i would go Vortech or kenne bell. I had a roots type blower and they are nice with all that down low power, but first gear was worth less because of my gears, so I decided on a Vortech this time in hopes i can actually use first gear.

I know the TVS 1900 blower is 50 state CARB legal. Why isnt the rest of the kit?
I know the guys where i smog, if i give them certification that the blower is legal they're not going to worry about the matte black intake tube or coolant hosing...

I know the TVS 1900 blower is 50 state CARB legal. Why isnt the rest of the kit?
I know the guys where i smog, if i give them certification that the blower is legal they're not going to worry about the matte black intake tube or coolant hosing...

The whole kit is not smog legal, the blower maybe but if the kit is not then they can fail your visual. It all depends on the smog shop and how much the smog guys really know. In all honesty, i would just get a known kit that is smog legal, I have heard to many whore stories about people failing the visual with just a K&N air filter when everyone knows there smog legal, Its just that you need a Carb sticker for the whole kit to otherwise your screwed. If you know someone i'd say do it, but if that person quits or you no longer know them, years down the road you might regret it because it would suck to have to remove it all, just for smog.

One prime example of why you couldn't pay me to live in California. If that state didn't spend so much money trying to enhance its image as a "green" and "socially responsible" state, it probably would be in such a financial bind right now. Huge state income tax levy, water police(making sure your sprinklers aren't turned on) driving around in new Toyota Prius's, $250k emissions sniffing vans. That state reaks of pork spending & inside contracts.