Tough to loosen bolts?

Fast94Cobra

Jan 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
well im hoping to install my new x2c seats this week and i need to take the old ones out. the two front bolts were easy to get out with a wrench but the back 2 are much much tougher. i tried some wd40 to loosen them, but i still cant get them, and on the driversside it hardly looks like their is much space to turn a wrench. i must plead absolute ignorance as i have never worked on cars before. what do i need to really loosen these bolts up? are their powertools i can buy/rent that will make the job much easier? thanks, any advice that would help this newbie out would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

When I first read this I thought that maybe you have subframe connectors with cross bars that mount to the seat bolts. My Kenny Brown subframes have a nut that bolts them on. I imagine that it would be more difficult to get that bolt out with (what is essentially) jam nuts.

You should be able to move the seat all the way forward to get a socket (15mm) on the rears. Also, all the way back and you can get a socket on the fronts. I usually use a swivel, long extension, and a ratchet (1/2 drive) on the fronts, and all that minus the swivel on the rears. I don't know what it's called, but the bolts are not perfectly round, they are slightly triangle shaped. I always assumed that it was a locking method, to prevent to bolts from loosening. They seem to give resistance all the way out.

Rick

do you have a good rachet/socket set? with a breaker bar? you could use an extension perhaps for where you are working. im also not sure on the location of the bolts off the top of my head. breaker bars are easier to get a piece of pipe to fit around it. otherwise you hook two combination wrenchs together end to end like yellow1995Cobra said.

Black70Fastback said:
i believe those triangle bolts are self tapping and since the are forced in, they have to be forced out.

no, just put a rachet on there and try harder. i switched out my seats and the ones in the back are tough, but do-able. just roll up them sleeves and let her rip

well i got a new socket set today and was able to take the driver seats out no problem. their is still a back bolt in the passengers seat thats stuck like all hell. im using a rachet and a 15mm socket and just cant get it to budge. is their anything else i can do to loosen her up???

i vote for liquid wrench. it has help me get off some nasty nasty bolts before. ive only taken out my driver's seat before so i cant help ya with the passenger side

put a deep well on it and then attach a long bar to your rachet. i didnt use a breaker bar on mine, but i have on many other bolts (anything near the brakes) :bang: if you want some type of nut breaker, i use PB Blaster. It is one crazy rust eater

As mentioned those bolts are like an interference fit..they aint made to come out easy....they're prolly rusted to chit under the car...did you hit them from underneath with some PB Blaster/WD40?? I had to remove them for my subframe seatbraces....they are, or can be nasty mothers to get out...