tps reading: no lower than 1.4x volts

Blackened302

Jul 21, 2005
South TX
any of you guys ever had your tps not ready any lower than a certain voltage?

my idle's high again and the first thing i checked was the tps (what was wrong last time--fixed it by adjust it as far as it would go lower)--sure enough, it will not read lower than 1.4x volts.

i'm assuming it's a tell-tale sign it's out?

• Sponsors (?)

he should've mentioned it but he's got the fox tb setup. have you tired opening up the trottle blade to see what it reads? it may very well be out, just give blackie a call and he'll get you a working on. i'm pretty sure u know what it should read so i won't insult you by telling you. lol

lol, yeah, should be less than 1 volt. if i twist the blade the reading will go up fine (about 4.5x at WOT), but when it's completely closed, it's no lower than 1.4x

bill--i did elongate the holes and no dice.. it worked when i first tried it, but for some reason not this time. i even took the reading w/ the tps off the TB and tried to force the tps to close even more, and it still would not go below 1.4x

lol, yeah, should be less than 1 volt. if i twist the blade the reading will go up fine (about 4.5x at WOT), but when it's completely closed, it's no lower than 1.4x

bill--i did elongate the holes and no dice.. i even took the reading w/ the tps off the TB and tried to force the tps to close even more, and it still would not go below 1.4x

sounds like its shot...

thanks dude, but the problem is i'm running the Explorer throttle body and TPS & IAC sensors.

i just bought a 75mm 94-95 TB from inphiniti and need the elbow adaptor, so i'm going back to the 94-95 setup.. i think it will help clear up a lot of my tuning/idle issues.

in the mean time, i have to make my present setup work. thank you, though, man.

i've never had a tps go bad on me so i don't know what the symptoms are... i suppose it not reading below a certain voltage could be one..

I had this exact same problem less than two weeks ago. Mine wasn't 1.4X it would go no lower than 1.34. I had previously worked on mine to get i down to .96. I slotted the holes much further than before and was able to get the voltage back to about 1.08. When I did this my car started idleing normally again. I haven't replaced my tps yet but will have to soon. Now my car is suddenly idleing real low and I checked th voltage again and now it's at .8X so it'll get replaced very soon.

lol, that was it. Pete checked it w/ his volt-meter (waaay better than my cheapo) and it was at 2.xx and the car was idling @ 3k rpm..

had the Oreilly delivery guy go over w/ a replacement and sure enough, problem solved. warranty ftmfw!

Paul, this was a newer TPS that failed (it wasn't 100 years old)? What brand (just so we remember what brand had an issue)?

Nice work getting it all fixored up. :nice:

yes sir, it was only a few months old--Borg Warner, too, which i thought was kinda weird.

i think there might be something to consider, though... it is my understand that the TPS's for the Explorers (because they're obd-2, perhaps?) are adjusted by the eec or somthing like that.. thus, they're not adjustable by us. the screw holes do not allow for free-play. what my buddy did was elongate the holes w/ a dremel to allow us to adjust it manually w/ a volt meter. that's probably worth noting, i'd say.

Gotcha Paul. Like you said, BW is generally pretty good stuff. Every batch can have a dud though.

FWIW, our TPS's (and Fox III's as well) also have the ability to ratchet. As long as they're in the adaptive range, the puter zeroes them out upon start-up (and constantly reviews the baseline as you drive).