Trac Lok gear oil recommendations.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
So I am gonna install some new gears and a rebuilt Trac Lok in my car and am wondering whats the best gear oil and friction modifier to use? I have checked the local parts stores and none seem to have Amsoil for the gears or Motorcraft for the friction modifier.
Should I use Red Line FM and Lucas gear oil? How much FM do I use and how much gear oil does it take to fill. Also for Texas with very mild winters, what weight should I get for the gear oil?

• Sponsors (?)

I would do the lucas combo myself, as far as filling wouldn't you just set the case level and fill to the bottom of the threads on the plug?
Yeah but how much Friction Modifier gets put in? The whole bottle? And how many bottles of gear oil do I need? Does it only hold one quart?

Well that was quite a bit of info! OK, none of the good ones are avaliable locally so since I have to order my rear end intallation kit from Summit (best deal at $90 with everything) then I will get the fluids from them too. So I guess thats Mobil 1 and some Red Line friction modifier. Guess I will just get their expensive one of the FM unless someone has a better bet.

NM, I can get the Gear oil, Mobil 1 75/90, at Autozone but the FM will have to be ordered. Prolly gonna get the Currie FM since it says for Ford Trac Lok :shrug: