Traction Control Woes

• Sponsors (?)

MisterCMK said:
Traction control is for sisssies. I drive my GT in the winter without any traction control at all, and its just fine. The factor at play is driver skill.

well id have to question the maturity in that statement. i might be a minor but i do believe that is a very juvinile statement you just made. Any limitations placed on a car that only see's street use is NOT for "sissies" or wusses or whatever. I believe that when driving on the roads there are so many factors that can come into play that having even a 300hp car is alot of the time too much. I see these adds for the Z06 and cars in that category and i just think how dangerous the car is. not just for you if you got in an accident, but what about the little kid who runs out in the street around the corner and your sliding because you didnt have traction control on. you know i honestly believe that after having a 300hp daily driver i see that cars should have limitations. Infact i had a discussion with my mom and dad this morning about how i would not give my friends a stang gt. and it was kinda ironic how they gave me one and i would not let my friends have one. I think that the IDEA of a high horsepower car is fantastic. its fun, its just a blast. but when it comes to respsonsibility. especially on days like today, where the roads are soaking... and you have a car that can top out at 143mi/hr. it honestly scares the crap outta me. there is so much pressure to control it and keep it under the speed limit. I am a newly founded believer in the idea that you can never be too cautious and too safe.

--Sy

I'm glad thatyou question the maturity of my statement. If you cannot handle a 300hp car without traction control, you shouldn't be driving it. You are relying on a driving aid to make up for your unability to control the car in inclimate conditions. Learn how to drive without the traction control; what happens if the TC fails?

Sanctus said:
well id have to question the maturity in that statement. i might be a minor but i do believe that is a very juvinile statement you just made. Any limitations placed on a car that only see's street use is NOT for "sissies" or wusses or whatever. I believe that when driving on the roads there are so many factors that can come into play that having even a 300hp car is alot of the time too much. I see these adds for the Z06 and cars in that category and i just think how dangerous the car is. not just for you if you got in an accident, but what about the little kid who runs out in the street around the corner and your sliding because you didnt have traction control on. you know i honestly believe that after having a 300hp daily driver i see that cars should have limitations. Infact i had a discussion with my mom and dad this morning about how i would not give my friends a stang gt. and it was kinda ironic how they gave me one and i would not let my friends have one. I think that the IDEA of a high horsepower car is fantastic. its fun, its just a blast. but when it comes to respsonsibility. especially on days like today, where the roads are soaking... and you have a car that can top out at 143mi/hr. it honestly scares the crap outta me. there is so much pressure to control it and keep it under the speed limit. I am a newly founded believer in the idea that you can never be too cautious and too safe.

--Sy

MisterCMK said:
I'm glad thatyou question the maturity of my statement. If you cannot handle a 300hp car without traction control, you shouldn't be driving it. You are relying on a driving aid to make up for your unability to control the car in inclimate conditions. Learn how to drive without the traction control; what happens if the TC fails?

well continuing along with that logic.. the car can go 143 mi/hr. and you shouldnt be driving it if you are unable to control it in any situation that may occur. and well if the tc fails you cannot be to blame for that.. but just because its there does not mean that you have the obligation to use it. So the logic behind "what if it fails" is flawed. because the point is that i believe while driving this machine, one must be the most responsible and cautious driver he/she can be. And i do believe that your statements lead me to conclude that you do feel that when your driving you have control over all of the variables and as i have learned since i have been licensed is that there are alot of dumb people, and alot of circumstances that may arise that you have no ability to control. and if you believe otherwize i think that would display a great deal of arrogance in the logic that you control all driving factors. we are not invincible, we just have to do our best

Work on the punctuation and grammar, your post is hard to read.

Anyway, what are you going to do if the traction control fails? If you become complacent and reliant on driving aids, you will be that much more likely to get into an accident should said driving aids fail.

gp001 said:
Traction control won't help. Just make sure your throttle regulator is properly tuned and you will be fine.
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: WTF r u talking about?:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

This thread is comical..Your 16 and your afraid of spinning the tires?? I dont know maybe its just me :shrug: :shrug: Or maybe kids that drive these cars automatically become YUPPIES!!!:mad: Turn it off and keep it off!! You wanna learn how to drive? KEEP IT OFF!!! When the weather conditions turn bad,then you use it!! Thats all!!!!!!!

well Gp001 ill side with you on this issue. i dont agree with these guys actually. i mean i know im 16, but common sense doesnt seem to have a direct correlation with age. haha after being scared $&#^less tonight driving home at 3am because of drunk drivers i think that any precaution you can take on the street is a wise one. so it stays off..

willys1 said:
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: WTF r u talking about?:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

This thread is comical..Your 16 and your afraid of spinning the tires?? I dont know maybe its just me :shrug: :shrug: Or maybe kids that drive these cars automatically become YUPPIES!!!:mad: Turn it off and keep it off!! You wanna learn how to drive? KEEP IT OFF!!! When the weather conditions turn bad,then you use it!! Thats all!!!!!!!

Throttle regulator = the drivers brain.

I agree that your advice is comical. Sounds more like a Fast and Furious soundbite.

gp001 said:
Throttle regulator = the drivers brain.

I agree that your advice is comical. Sounds more like a Fast and Furious soundbite.
I drove an 05 GT,,I dont see the problem..If you were driving a 500HP vehicle I could see,,but an 05/06 doesnt have vicious hp that is hard to controll:shrug: How long have you been driving for?

willys1 said:
I drove an 05 GT,,I dont see the problem..If you were driving a 500HP vehicle I could see,,but an 05/06 doesnt have vicious hp that is hard to controll:shrug: How long have you been driving for?

Experiences are all relative. I have been driving for many years. I have built, driven, and raced several cars, but I don't kid myself into thinking I could handle every car becasue of these eperiences.

Is my 3500+ lb 05 GT with less than 300 rwhp as hard to handle as my less than 3000 lb 340 rwhp 66? Nope. Is it as hard to handle as my 600hp 68 Charger R/T? Nope. But to someone who is new to driving the 05 may be. While I am sure you think that what ever experience you have to date makes you capable of jumping into any car and driving it to it's limits, those of us who live in reality know this is not the case and would not like to see some kid wind up wrecking his dream car.

Just visiting the 05 forum and saw this thread. I am a fond owner of a 00 modified GT and the key thing with turning the traction control off that i like it actually feeling the car and how it reacts. if u leave the trac control on its not like it does all 4 corners of ur car atleast i don't think it does on the 05's. It just does the rear tires. now if the 05 rear is the same as the 00 and u find urself giving it more gas on corners and u feel the trac control kick in it might be wiser to turn it off and actually get used ot the car. Enjoy the car and be carefull but u don't want to have to buy a new clutch pack for the rear diff anytime soon.

66Satellite said:
:rlaugh:

Agree. Why buy a GT if you're afraid of it? And why would any parent buy one of these cars for their kid? :shrug:

umm well to answer the first one, im not afraid of the car, i have respect for its power, and if that is humorous im sry but id just like to see you be 16 and be given the responsibility of a 300 hp rwd car. so to clarify i am not scared of my car, i am scared of doing something dumb. and a healthy fear is a good thing.

to answer your second question, i think the fact that i keep the traction control off and am not screwing around with the car kinda explicates exactly why my parents were for me getting the car. and it was either this or an f150. and quite frankly i would not give a mustang gt to a 16 year old, but this happens to be a strange scenario.

and so back to my original question, when you have the traction control off, how many of you guys have spun out? or turned the car sideways or just lost control of the rear end? if the feature doesnt really help THAT much then i can see what you guys are saying, its just that theres no way for an inexperianced driver such as myself to test it on the street, so i came to you guys for advice. i know it only controls the back end and i know the mechanics behind the feature, but the real world application is what im questioning. Now if anyone would like to tell me if they believe it has increased their number of "close calls" or accidents i would just like to know if it just is there for innexperianced drivers like myself, or its just to make sure that you dont floor it around a turn.

--Sy

The only time I've ever spun out with the TCS off was when I was intentionally trying to burnout or when I was practicing launching. Except maybe a few times when it was raining, but even then the rear stayed under control. For the most part I leave the TCS on.

As long as you aren't mashing the throttle in wet/snowy conditions, trying to launch at a high rpm, or taking corners at retarded speeds you shouldn't have to worry about losing any traction even with the TCS off.

But with that said, unless you are trying to get your best 1/4 mile ET there is no real reason to turn your TCS off.

It's true you can enjoy the true power of your car with the TCS off, but if you are worried that you don't have enough experience with your car you are right. Also, don't let any "type-R" Civics goad you into a street race either. They are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road. Just be confident your car will destroy them hands down, and wait until you have more miles under your belt.

66Satellite said:
:rlaugh:

Agree. Why buy a GT if you're afraid of it? And why would any parent buy one of these cars for their kid? :shrug:
:D ,,Im not gonna touch it!!:D

By the way,the guy above a few replys who has the 68/69 charger with 600hp and says its no harder to handle then his 05 stang,,,YOUR A MORON!!! I dont care if it has a 318,the car handles like crap compared to the 05,it brakes terrible compared to the 05,gas mileage is horrendus,,ect....
Kid you started this thread so be prepared to get alot of sh@t!!! The best way to get to know your car is to beat the living sh@t out of it!!
Go find an empty parking lot where no one is around,take the traction control off and start doing some donutes!!(360's) power brake it,make some smoke,,feel how much power it has!! Just keep the gas pedal nailed to the floor and do some figure 8's and donutes!!
You will feel more comfertable in the car afterwards!!