tranny problems or not?????

wheelyman19

Mar 31, 2008
Hi i have a 95 stang that i did a motor tranny swap on (95 5.0 and 95 aod) when i first got i done it shifted pretty hard, when i caned it, it would rev up to 6500 then shift. Then i put 4.10's in and now it will rev up to 7000+ but i dont really know what it shifts at because i let off when it gets up that high and when i let off it takes a while for it to shift then to. So please anyone tell me whats wrong with it. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If he has the stock Pcm for the AODE to factory rev limit is about 5350. Changing gears should not alter that event. Like other stated a stock block will not take kindly to those numbers. Bad tach ?

Not sure if the tach in a v6 would make a difference but im in the procces of putting one in from a gt so weel see what happens
Also when i was driving it today i caned it it went up to 7000 again and then i let off the gas and when it shifted to second it spun the tires and this was while my foot was off the gas!! thats how hard its shifting any thought would be helpfull!!!

So you've got an automatic tranny. Installing new gears will throw off the shift points in the computer so the tranny will shift at the wrong times - usually later than it should. As for the V6 tach, if you're still using the V6 instrument cluster the gauges aren't reading right. I doubt you're actually getting a shift at 7000, probably around 5000 and change RPM.

So you've got an automatic tranny. Installing new gears will throw off the shift points in the computer so the tranny will shift at the wrong times - usually later than it should.

My experience was sooner as at any given engine rpm you are going slower with the taller gears (4:10's). True the speedo will be reading higher unless he has installed an electronc device to correct the speedo.

As for the V6 tach, if you're still using the V6 instrument cluster the gauges aren't reading right. I doubt you're actually getting a shift at 7000, probably around 5000 and change RPM.

5000 and change is where the PCM will force the shift at WOT and if held in first through 3rd at 5350.

Thanks for the info. But how do i change the shift points, if thats what the problem is

You can't unless you are adding a tuning device to alter the PCM values. From what you have been describing isn't a shift point issue other than the fact that under light acceleration the shifts will occur a little earlier (speedometer wise)than they did with the stock gears. Your problem appears to be related to the wrong cluster being installed ie. one from a V6 and having incorrect tach readings. In one of your posts you mentioned that even when you took your foot off the throttle it still shifted as if it were under power. This could only happen if the throttle valve was sticking in the WOT position. If this is what really happened then that is an entirely another issue with a different solution.

Thanks guys for all your help but when driving it today it was barly going into reverse and it was locking up the back wheels when shifting, so when i got home i droped the oil pan and found some metal shavings.
now i have to find a 5 speed
I also put the gt gauge cluster in and the tach was reading right finally