Transmission question

Quik03GT

Mar 2, 2006
Hey guys, pretty soon I'll be taking my car into the dealer to have them do something with the tranny. It grinds into 3rd pretty badly, but only under hard acceleration. I'm wondering if the dealer will even warranty this problem, seeing as it only happens when you rev the piss out of it and slam 3rd gear. And if they do warranty it, will they take the tranny apart and rebuild it or just put a new one in?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Quik03GT said:
Hey guys, pretty soon I'll be taking my car into the dealer to have them do something with the tranny. It grinds into 3rd pretty badly, but only under hard acceleration. I'm wondering if the dealer will even warranty this problem, seeing as it only happens when you rev the piss out of it and slam 3rd gear. And if they do warranty it, will they take the tranny apart and rebuild it or just put a new one in?

Thanks!

first check to see if the clutch is adjusted properly. your 03 should have all the updated internals in your tr-3650 so I would start with the clutch adjustment.

99.999999 percent of the time these problems are due to clutch adjustment.

you clutch pedal should be three inches from the floor when the clutch disengages

to test this.

1. put car in first gear at a stop and keep your clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

2. very slowly while watching the tach let the clutch pedal out and see how far you have to let your foot come up when the rpm's start to drop or the car tries to move or stall.. it needs to be around 3 inches minimum.. ford says 2-3 but thats for granny shifting. Mine is closer to 4 inches.

this adjustment is critical because if you need to have your foot to the rug to shift into gear then you are not fully disengaging the clutch. a partially engaged clutch will cause grinding on high rpm upshifts, it can also cause difficulty getting into gear from a stop

svttech76 said:
first check to see if the clutch is adjusted properly. your 03 should have all the updated internals in your tr-3650 so I would start with the clutch adjustment.

I think it's '04 that got the upgraded internals because my '03 was still covered by the TSB that replaced the 1st and 2nd gear and related synchros.

Quik03GT said:
Well I just tried that and it seems to catch about 3" from the floor, maybe a bit less. How do I go about adjusting it?

Grab the clutch pedal, pull it up towards you firmly and then with your foot push it to the floor as far as it will go. If it clicks, it adjusted. If it doesn't try it again and if still nothing then the adjustment was fine.

Doesn't always work, the t-3650 has a design flaw in it in the early models that causes problems with shifting into 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. A fluid change with a quality fluid can sometimes help this out.

Mustang5L5 said:
I think it's '04 that got the upgraded internals because my '03 was still covered by the TSB that replaced the 1st and 2nd gear and related synchros.

Correct, it's the '04 models that supposedly got the T-3650s with upgraded internals. Lowering/changing my fluid eliminated the occasional third gear lockout I experienced.

Give Me TP said:
Correct, it's the '04 models that supposedly got the T-3650s with upgraded internals. Lowering/changing my fluid eliminated the occasional third gear lockout I experienced.

WHat fluid are you running? I want to do a change soon