trouble with my 01

so last Monday night (1/17/11) the road was wet and a bump had kicked the rear end after desperately trying to save it she slid into a guard rail and both air bags deployed.....as a student this is hard to replace so I need tips on where to maybe find the cheap and the driver one dose not look to bad to replace but dose anyone have advice on how to fix the passenger side?
any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance.......

• Sponsors (?)

Truthfully, even if you are handy I would not mess with the SRS components. At best, you might wind up with a system that still doesn't work and has a fault light or doesn't work in a crash, and at worst you might set one of the bags off and get hurt. I would leave the job to the professionals!

I don't remember if the passenger side has a detachable door, or if the bag rips open the vinyl skin as it deploys. If the dash can't be put back together with a new bag, you might be looking at a new dash as well.

You might be tempted to just drive the car without airbags. To my knowledge this is not specifically illegal, but you would only be able to sell the car after specific disclosure to the buyer, and maybe not even then. Check with your DMV for the rules.

really damn I wish I would have seen these post a day earlier......the driver side was fairly easy two bolts on the back of the wheel the driver side I had taken out last night two bolts behind the dash, I removed glove box and passenger air duct to get to it, also seemed fairly easy just time consuming.....im going to the junk yard on Sunday to see if I can get a pair....I dont really want to install my self due to they might burst and id be up the creek again....so anyone knoe of place I could go or better yet what a fair price to pay?

thanks....

couple pics
mail

mail

I wouldn't try to find airbags on Ebay. They are considered hazardous materials by the DOT and require special fees and packaging, and you won't be sure about their pedigree. If you buy used airbags anywhere, make sure they are fresh out of a car and not off a shelf. Repacked airbags are a problem on the used market, as is stolen airbags. It wouldn't be a bad idea to require the VIN of the vehicle they came out of and keep the receipt as long as you have the car. It would be bad if the serial number on one of your bags comes back stolen!

I wouldn't try to find airbags on Ebay. They are considered hazardous materials by the DOT and require special fees and packaging, and you won't be sure about their pedigree. If you buy used airbags anywhere, make sure they are fresh out of a car and not off a shelf. Repacked airbags are a problem on the used market, as is stolen airbags. It wouldn't be a bad idea to require the VIN of the vehicle they came out of and keep the receipt as long as you have the car. It would be bad if the serial number on one of your bags comes back stolen!

Cant say that I disagree. I supposed the couple times I have, I was lucky

hey guys quick update went to the junk yard and literally every single airbag from the mustangs were gone or popped
but got an airbag out of an explore and got it tonight fits perfectly so drivers side down one to go......(just hope it works lol)