Trying to pick a cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyHoFoSho

Aug 14, 2007
Ok i want to put a cam in my mustang. I have supporting mods to go with a cam other then the heads, but for the heads i was thinking about going with a set of stock GT-40s or trying to get a set of the thumper E7s. So i was trying to choose between the trick flow stage one cam and the FMS F-cam. What are your guys thoughts and opinions of both the cam and heads. And i am working on a tight budget i just bought a house and am getting ready to sell my 347 project. Also am i going to have any valve clearance problems with either.

• Sponsors (?)

use your money on heads instead of the cam at this point, you will see better power gains,

but if you have to get the cam now....custom cams are the only way to go:nice:

+100000000000000 Agree!!!!!!!!!

This will cause a hugh fight again but, PLEASE DONT RUN A FRPP ALPHABET CAMSHAFT.

Thanks

well stated...............lol

letter cams are well ok but out dated. the e 303 has idle and low speed drama bucking but performs nice at the track

tfs-1 looks a little soft on the low end

a stock speed density cam i hear w/ rr's is not bad

steeda#18 dont know

comp cams well for a few more coin get a custom

if you are going to buy the thumpers, just ask them.

the e and the tfs stage 1 aren't bad choices by any means. That setup with ported heads/intake usually makes 260-270rwhp if you know what you are doing.

please please do not try and tell me the e303 cam is good! its 20 years old and outdated...

i would rather stay stock....

well stated...............lol

letter cams are well ok but out dated. the e 303 has idle and low speed drama bucking but performs nice at the track

your blaming the e-cam for low speed bucking, thats a new one.

Next is gonna be, i ran an alphabet cam and i had a nitrous backfire on my N/A motor... gimme a break

well . . . I have built 4 complete motors with e-cams, tune several more and raced one in an 86gt that ran 7.70s @ 89-90mph with ported gt40p heads, ported cobra intake and a t5.

what have you built?

i work on a dirt race team and build 350s all the time, we have two pro-stock race cars so please dont ask me what i have done.

E303 cams you complete junk, and a waste of money. end of story.

you would of made much much more power and ran better times if you replaced the e303 cames with custom ones... no question about it.

o and, gt40 and cobra heads/intake are stock parts...start using real aftermarket parts and you will agree with me:nice:

I have a new outlook on things after me, 90lxcoupe, and more got into a heated argument on the same subject. Put what ever camshaft you want in your car because hey its yours, but dont come on here asking for opionions because guess what? You will get a answer wheter you like it or not. I am done posting back to these type of threads and I am sorry to 90lxcoupe and the others i have made mad.

I have a new outlook on things after me, 90lxcoupe, and more got into a heated argument on the same subject. Put what ever camshaft you want in your car because hey its yours, but dont come on here asking for opionions because guess what? You will get a answer wheter you like it or not. I am done posting back to these type of threads and I am sorry to 90lxcoupe and the others i have made mad.

dude i dont even know what there is to debate... i dont understand how you could defend a ford racing cam...

E303 cams you complete junk, and a waste of money. end of story.

and this is your reply?

You have ZERO real-world experience with an e-cam let alone building and tuning five liters.

The fact of the matter is you can pick up an e-cam for $80-100 and make within 10-15hp of many newer cams with the right parts.

It ain't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it serves a niche and works very well with ported stock stuff.

i work on a dirt race team and build 350s all the time, we have two pro-stock race cars so please dont ask me what i have done.

so by working with chevrolets that means you know ford cams backwards and forwards?

woop-dee freakin' doo

I work at Jon Kaase's shop getting the Boss 9/P51 heads ready to ship, I have taken apart motors there and seen the insides and out of the ~820" pro stock motors.

I also volunteer for Andy Kelley's nitro funny car team (we'll be at Charlotte next month and Richmond in October).

And all of that has ZERO to do with the proper setups for using an e-cam.

o and, gt40 and cobra heads/intake are stock parts...start using real aftermarket parts and you will agree with me:nice:

Among other things I have a 86 mustang with about $3,500 in the whole car.
stock longblock, e7 heads I ported, f-cam, junkyard holset turbo.
508rwhp and 559rwtq is plenty for me with "fake parts".

use your money on heads instead of the cam at this point, you will see better power gains,

but if you have to get the cam now....custom cams are the only way to go:nice:

+1

The stock HO cam is a pretty good match for the stock heads. All a larger cam is really going to do is take away drivability, low end torque and other factors for maby a few HP, and I do mean a few. Oh and don't forget that your valve springs probally can't take any more. There are people runnning some impressive times on the stock cam. Ford made a pretty decent cam in the fox years of the 5.0. If you just want the sound, and you can pick up a alphabet cam cheap, well have at it.

Custom cams are definatly the choice of champions. Once again, not really going to do much for you on stock heads.

Get some upgraded valve springs and go with an AFM cam.there are many ppl having great results with anderson's cams. The only way I'd go custom is if I knew I was finished with my combo. Custom cams are harder to sell if you decide to change your combo so you could end up with a door stop. Even an "E" cam will sell faster.

Posted via Mobile Device

and this is your reply?

You have ZERO real-world experience with an e-cam let alone building and tuning five liters.

i have zero experience? ha okay im sure you now my life, stop changing the subject and argue about the actual topic.

It ain't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it serves a niche and works very well with ported stock stuff.

like said above, people have ran great times with stock cam...

so by working with chevrolets that means you know ford cams backwards and forwards?

first, your forgetting the fact i have a mustang, and i was stating what else i do with engines....

Among other things I have a 86 mustang with about $3,500 in the whole car.
stock longblock, e7 heads I ported, f-cam, junkyard holset turbo.
508rwhp and 559rwtq is plenty for me with "fake parts".

hmm.... your comparing a turbo car to a n/a one...not exactly sure what your getting at here... you could make those same numbers with stock h/c/i with enough boost...

ask mod on here, or try going to any other forum and try saying that crap about the e303 cam, you wont even last a day.

ask mod on here, or try going to any other forum and try saying that crap about the e303 cam, you wont even last a day.

wow so all of that for this??

what 5.0 engines have you built and tuned with an e-cam again? You still haven't answered that question and this is like the third time I have asked this.

your only information to back up any of your posts so far is internet heresay and especially drop the ball with your lame attempt at proving me wrong by letting other internet people try to pick up your slack.

I have built exactly 3 stock shortblock engines with e-cams in them and all of them have made over 265rwhp. Again, what real-world data do YOU have and not some internet guru who had a brother whose step-father's uncle's nephew who switched to an e-cam and "lost" power?

I would put up the motor that the original poster is trying to build (ported gt40s, gt40/cobra intake) with an e-cam in it against any other off the shelf cam and I bet it makes within 10-15 flywheel HP of any modern cam except a custom for a heck of a lot less (usually half the cost). The e-cam's only niche is stock ported junk and it does it well. The car I drove to 7.70s in the 1/8 knocked down 24mpg on the highway with 3.55s and t5.

So again in summation, you haven't provided ANY data just corral/stangnet/any other forum bottom feeder crap.

Are you done with the dick measuring contest?

no kidding . . . I don't parade on here where I work but usually thats the first sign that you no longer have any facts to rely on.

no kidding . . . I don't parade on here where I work but usually thats the first sign that you no longer have any facts to rely on.

Meh.. My last stang came with a b303 in it and it ran great. This time around, I have a comp 284hr going in. Could I get a couple more hp with a custom cam? Maybe. Is this the last time I'm going to change my motor combo? Definitely not. I think I'll be sticking with off the shelf cams until I'm sure there will be no more motor changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.