TUNER-which one should I get

loosescrew79

Dec 18, 2004
Well its tax time and I have money burning a hole in my pocket. I am finally going to install my 4.10s and going to need to recalibrate the speedo. I want to do it with a progrmmer. Unless it is better to get custom chip burned :shrug:

I am open to suggestions. Of course I want the one that will give me the best results. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you want it to be the best PERIOD, get a custom dyno tune with a burnt chip. A handheld tuner will not be able to see what the dyno sees, I had my 98 done on the dyno and never looked back. My Cobra will be done the same, oh and as far as the price goes my dyno runs and the custom chip work was $500.00 for the package.

98blackmagic said:
If you want it to be the best PERIOD, get a custom dyno tune with a burnt chip. A handheld tuner will not be able to see what the dyno sees, I had my 98 done on the dyno and never looked back. My Cobra will be done the same, oh and as far as the price goes my dyno runs and the custom chip work was $500.00 for the package.
Chips are old school! The same data that your tuner burns to a chip can be flashed to the cars ECM via a handheld tuner. Chips void warranties and leave tell-tale signs of their installation (scraped contacts). It's a new day and a new age... chips are dinosaurs.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Chips are old school! The same data that your tuner burns to a chip can be flashed to the cars ECM via a handheld tuner. Chips void warranties and leave tell-tale signs of their installation (scraped contacts). It's a new day and a new age... chips are dinosaurs.

U.M.

As long as its done on a DYNO, I dont care whats used.

98blackmagic said:

A dyno tune is not "the best PERIOD" road tuning and a wideband will get the tune closer, but yeah, a dyno tune will be closer than a mail order canned tune.

Honestly I am leaning more toward a programmer. I have had one in the past on my truck and liked changing the settings at anytime.

I am tossed up between a Preditor and the SCT. Feed me some input guys

The reason for choosing the SCT XCal2 over a Diablosport Predator is based on the software tuning package the pros use to create custom tunes. As a stand alone unit both the XCal2 & the Predator do pretty much the same thing... but if you have plans on getting a custom tune sometime in the future the software your professional tuner uses to create the custom tune with is more advance with the SCT package than the Diablosport revolution software package.

Bottom line... ask your pro tuner which one he supports or prefers and go with that!

U.M.

do not go with the diablosport tuner. the way it was put to me was which operating system would you rather run? windows 95 or xp? Thats the difference in the way the predator and the xcal2 are tuned. Can you datalog with the predator? Just buy the xcal. either one would probably get the job done, but the sct will be better, so it shouldnt be a hard choice. Just call dynospeed racing and ask for joe. tell him daniel from stangnet told you to talk to him about the xcal2 and why they use it. they also have the lowest price you will find, and imo the best tunes. their number is 901-373-1197

+1 on the handheld units will net you about the same.

If you're just going for something to calibrate your speedo and give you a few extra goodies, get a used Predator for around $250. Just make sure the seller has un-married it from his/her car or it will be almost useless to you. A new one will run you around $350.

If you plan on buying new stuff, I would recommend the Xcal because you have a better upgrade path. It'll cost you $379 but if you decide to get deeper into tuning later, you can get the PRP for around $300 and do full blown tuning. You don't have that upgrade path with the Predator.

Uncle Meat said:

U.M.
For those of us using nitrous a "chip" is the only way to switch between our NA tunes and N20 tunes. It would be a HUGE pain to have to flash the new tune everytime that I wanted to flip the switch.

I bet there will be a few 05 owners wishing they had a J3 port as well.

Red35th said:
For those of us using nitrous a "chip" is the only way to switch between our NA tunes and N20 tunes. It would be a HUGE pain to have to flash the new tune everytime that I wanted to flip the switch.

I bet there will be a few 05 owners wishing they had a J3 port as well.
True dat! If you're a N2O user then a "Flip Chip" is the only way to go!

U.M.