Typhoon vs. Cobra... would I benefit with my combo?

Killer95Stang

Aug 7, 2003
Covina, CA
Just wondering what your opinions are...

With the combo in the sig, would I benefit by switching to the Typhoon intake... My common sense says I would lose some power down low, but would it be significant enough to worry about.. As it stands, my car doesn't come alive till I reach 3009rpms...

My real goals are to reach 285-290rwhp with my current setup... with maybe the switch to the Typhoon... As it stands, I figure I can reach 280 with a retune on the dynojet, since my car runs pretty rich up top (puffs of black smoke at WOT about 500Orpm)...

Also, I would be cleaning up all the casting flash, and probably port matching the intake to a 1250 gasket before the install..

Lemme know what you guys think...

• Sponsors (?)

If you have heads, cam and all that then the Typhoon will help you up top. Don't expect to much from it down low. I used both the Performer and RPM on my N/A set up. The RPM (Typhoon knock off) moved the powerband up about 400-500 rpm. Instead of shifting at 5700 rpm with Performer the RPM worked best at 6300 rpm. Down low the power with the Performer started much earlier and didn't needed a bunch of RPM to get the car moving like the RPM.

Sorry guys... I posted this on the Corral... where I actually have a sig.. (damm Stangnet limits size)....

Current combo makes 271rwhp and 303rwtq with the following major mods:
-Forged 302 bottom end
-part matched (1250), and polished GT40P's with stianless valves, highlift springs..ect.
-Port matched and polished Cobra Intake (1250)
-Crane 2031 cam
-1.7 roller rockers
-LT's, Dr Gas X, Bassani Mufflers
-70mm Throttle body
-73mm C&L meter
-24lb injectors
-J1J4 cobra computer
-Autologic chip (Powertrain)
-3.73's
Then like every other bolt on part imaginable.. lol.. and still building.. (HELP)...

When i had a gt40crate motor(gt40x heads, b cam, 1.72's), i picked up over 1 MPH on the switch from the cobra to typhoon. I went 2 tenth's faster on the run with a worse 60ft time then my cobra intake run. So i know the car was much more capable. There was deff a SOTP difference up top in the rpms.. But downlow i lost some, but it didnt matter since the b cam didnt make much down there anyways.

mytight95 said:
i think you would be better off if you switched to a gt computer. I ahve heard that the cobra computers are abit deprogrammed etc.

Not an option... since I only have the Cobra computer.. I bought the car back in 96, with 30K miles... and didn't find out about the Cobra computer and injectors till 1999... I figure Steve @ powertrain can compensate for anything the Cobra computer is lacking over the GT....

94GTLaserRC said:
If I were in your situation, I would keep what I have and use the money for something else!
RC

The only reason I'm even considering this swap is... because I can sell my Cobra Intake, and pretty much buy the Typhoon + adapter elbow, and still have a couple dollars left for gaskets... so I wouldn't be losing money... All that would be invested is a couple hours of cleanup (intake ports), and then a saturday afternoon with a few friends in the garage... Plus, I retired this car from being a daily driver over a year ago, so time isn't a factor anymore...

With that said.. its just whether I will actually gain anytihing powerwise...

I dont think you need to clean the castings. THe ports on there are really big and I dont think smoothing them out will matter a whole lot. If you have the time and feel it may help, then go ahead. If you start getting in the power range where you feel you HAVE TO clean it, then maybe you should be getting some Victor Jrs or some other Higher power intake.

RC