UDP Install Question

french2812

Oct 12, 2006
Olympia, WA
So I am installing a set of Roush UDP's. I am at the install point with the harmonic balancer and am using the OEM installer. The pulley goes on withing an eighth of an inch and all of a sudden the installer falls off. After some inspection, it appears that the threaded end of the installer only grabs a few thread before the shoulder stops further threading. Also, to remove the new pulley, an outside puller is needed as the slots in it are too small for the one that pulled the oem off.The question is, what type of installer should I use? This one fits so deep that it is virtually useless to finish the job.

• Sponsors (?)

without seeing the tool, i will need to do this from memory. its been over a year since i did this, so bear with me. cant you adjust the large nut on the installer further back, and thread the rod into the crank?

also, get a light and a mirror and check to make sure you didnt damage the threads on the crank. if they are damaged, you will need to retap the threads. use the mirror so you can shine the light on it an into the holr to be able to see the threads.

The problem is the threaded collar that goes into the crank snout. The shoulder on it comes up snug against the snout and won't go in any further. No adjustment to counter that. I was worried about the threads, but the new crank bolt goes in cleanly. I think I will have to get creative and get some all thread that can get completely threaded into the snout.

I am going to use the OEM tool but I am getting a small piece of all thread that will go all the way into the bolt hole. The threads are about 3/4" from the outside of the snout and there is only about an inch before the shoulder hits on the OEM adaptor. Just a little twist that makes home mechanicing (sic) interesting.

All is well, minus a bit of flesh off of a finger! Thanks for the input. If, in case your every would want to remove the underdirve pulley, an outside puller may be needed, at least on a Roush pulley. The inside slots are mucho small, maybe to small even for a Chrysler puller.