Ughhh, what to do? (block cracked)

95_5.0_stang

Apr 16, 2005
Lansing, MI.
Well, this is the block that I am building up just mostly stock for now, so I have a nice reliable engine, but I plan on throwing boost at it later on during it's life. And I JUST had cam bearings installed in it, and I just taped it off and sprayed a layer of primer on it because I planned on painting it red. Well, I didn't see this crack in the block before all this, the primer brought it out and without the primer it was HARD to see. The crack is on the passenger side LOWEST bolt hole that the tranny bolts up to. It's all the way through to the bolt. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really don't want to go through having the machine shop to pull the bearings back out and then have them put them into a different block which I'd have to go find, buy, and clean up.

Does this crack need to be welded up by a welding shop? Or isn't it going to affect the strength a whole lot? The bolt still screws in there GREAT and it tightens up good. Without the bolt in the hole, you can't even see the crack, the bolt opens it up a bit. Here are some pics, let me know what I should do because I don't want to have to worry about this the whole time the the engine is in my car. Thanks

10033990jf.jpg

10034005dj.jpg

Attachments

• 10033990jf.jpg
    10033990jf.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 65
  • 10034005dj.jpg
    10034005dj.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 51
  • Sponsors (?)

This must be a pretty rare problem as I did a search and this is the only thread I've found with this problem. Mine was like this but now a peace has finally broke free from the block. If I hold the piece to the block tight the bolt will thread in.

Question is...can I use JB weld on this now that it has broken free or do I need to actually weld it? I think that welding cast iron is a bit of a pain is it not? Advice would be great!

Yep, you're screwed. I've been looking for a new project for a while now. I'll give you a deal... $1k for the car and what's left of the motor. Get out while you still can.

Well talking from experience it will be probably more than 50 if you take it to welder. When i was running slicks on my stock 88, i cracked that piece off completely, along with cracking the bellhousing, and breaking both ears off the starter, cracking the trans ears, and breaking the front u joint.lol all at once. Also the clutch was destroyed. I had a friend who was a welder and you have to buy this special rod for welding cast iron i forgot what its called but its like 50 bucks for like 20 sticks or so. then he grinded and welded it all up, cant even tell it was cracked there. Came out perfect, It depends on who you know i guess, if the welder has the rod needed then it shouldnt be too expensive but if he dont and you have to buy it, thats 50 right there.