UM, YES OUR CARS CAN DO 150+

Status
Not open for further replies.
i personally have had my car in the 160-165 range while racing a bently continental GT. you are probably wondering how i know that since out speedometer only goes to 150? well, my speedometer was waayyy past 150 and i was passing him while he hit his 155mph limiter:D

this is a pic of a different occasion. 155 bitches:nice:
fast.jpg

Attachments

• fast.jpg
    fast.jpg
    900.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Sponsors (?)

actually i may be wrong about it being a continental because i just read that they can do 198mph:shrug: and this car DEFINETLY hit its speed limiter . it may have been one of the newer mercedes because i know most of them are limited to 155 (like MOST european cars). all new cars look alike to me so im not even sure what it was lol. all i know is that it was quick and the turbos were screaming

Doesn't gears kill your top speed?

I could be way off here, but I thought that going from a stock gear to anything above 3.55 would definitely make a difference in top end speed. Isn't it all mathmatics and aerodynamics? Unless you change the aero, you'll be limited by gears, tranny ratios and RPM redline.

Example: if one could acheive 160mph maximum with stock 2.73 gears, then changing to gears to 3.73 would result in a lesser maximum speed (maybe 10mph less or more).

I'm not saying at all that the above didn't happen, it just got me thinking about gears. Kind of crazy on a public road though. We've got crotch rockets in our area that are going 200mph+ on public roads and it has become a huge issue with the media. I didnt' realize they could go that fast for many reasons, but sure enough they can. Many were being clocked at 150+. Kind of gave me a new outlook on the upper end of the speedo.

Anyway, what gives on the gear thing?

Pokageek said:
The 3.73's are right in the power zone in 5th at 150mph so it is possible. 2.73's are too high at will top our in 4th which may not ge tto speed.

Makes sense.

I knew that added HP and Torque only meant that get through the gears quicker, but I didn't think they had a significant difference in top speed.

I guess with the right mods, the ability to get more power at higher rpms in each gear will increase the overall speed, too.

Thanks.

I believe 'em. I've done the same stupid thing myself. My car's been 150+mph several times and one time I hit 170. Gotta love the extra gear. As it is now with the 3.73's and viper spec t56 at 100mph the engine spins at about 2400rpms. And yes, there will be a limit where aero drag, gear ratio, and engine power will hit a wall, unfortunatly for lots of us our cars will do a back flip before we get to that level.

Going that fast with our cars aerodynamics is scary, my car in particular sets down and tracks straight at 100mph, but going 35-?mph over that the front end gets loose and on bumps/highway overpasses the rear tires lift off the ground.

All I want to say to everyone out there thinking about going as fast as your car will take you please do not do it with anyone else on the highway and especially with anyone in the passanger seat. If your going to be stupid, dont take anyone with you. Also while you are at high speed you can not make any sudden movements, keep the wheel straight at all costs, use all the road available and make sure your tires/suspension/rear end are up for it.
fawcett

Good statement fawcett. I'm sure having a 6th gear changes many things. Cool.

When I had the stock suspension, I noticed less stability above 80 to 85 mph. Above that and it was just uncomfortable. With the suspension I have now, the stang seems to maintain stability above those speeds much longer. Doing 80 now feels like doing 40 on the old suspension. Someday when I'm finished with suspension mods I've got planned, I need to take the stang to a road course.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a second that your car did 170 fawcett. It was probably like 150. I think its funny how gospel truth alot of the people on these boards think our speedos are. They are far enough off as it is let alone to be guessing at how fast you'er going after 150 which our speedos dont even read.

Black95GTS said:
<--- Not impressed

You're a tool for street racing anything to 150mph.

And then you took a hand off the wheel to take a picture of it? I think you are a little too fast and too furious for this board.

Adam

ok now to address this...

if i am a tool, then i am a hammer. and people like you are the nails that i hit:) .

if you knew how to read, then you would have seen that right above the picture there is a caption.
94gts said:
this is a pic of a different occasion. 155 bitches:nice:

also, i did not take my hand off the wheel. my freind took the picture. i am often a passenger in his car for experiences like that too. its somthing we both enjoy and nothing will ever change that.

Adam, i think you are a little to sesame street for this board.

I never said I didn't believe anything. I'm just trying to figure out how you guys know "how fast" you were going once you passed 150 mph, lol.

I think our speedometers (once up around the 100 mph mark) may tend to get way off. Why do I believe that? I have no idea really ..... it's just that I've heard that so many times it's not funny. Why would someone just intentionally say that? Someone has had reason to bring that argument up somewhere down the line.

I've "heard" that our speedos can be off as much as 20mph at 150, i.e. you're only doing 130 when the speedo says 150. Also heard that they start getting out of whack like around 90 or so and from there it is moreinaccurate. Maybe 20mph off is a stretch, but 10 to 15 mph off is easily acceptable.

Not saying that anyone didn't go a particular speed, just that I agree that the speedo cannot be trusted at all at high speeeds.

Car & Driver did the 0-150-0 tests and commented on several of the cars about how off the speedos were. None of them were real bad, but a couple cars "appeared" to be going 160, when in reality they were just hitting the 150 mark. Granted, magazines are not usually the optimum place for facts and what not, but it is a fact that when magazines, manufacturers, or anyone else wants to know the "actual" speed of a vehicle in speed tests, you always see a lot of equipment strapped to the car in order to get accurate measurements (or laser guns, etc.).

Sorry so long...........I'm bored at work right now and the fingers won't stop typing........ :) No offense to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.