Used GT prices are ridiculous....

radtexas

Jul 25, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I have the new ride but was thinking of what to do. Should I mod it out or get an older 05/06 coupe to mod out to the extreme. I would not go extreme on the new ride especially since she is a vert. Would rather do that on a coupe.

I was looking on Autotrader just now and low price within 300 miles from my zip is like $21k for an 05 GT with basic Premium stock trim setup.

Are all of these people smoking from the same pipe? When you can get the same car new for mid to upper 20's why would anyone pay a few k less for a used car with 10-20k miles on her? And the low price was a few k less. Average was 25-26k.

I wll be glad when the used prices get more reasonable so I can take on my endeaver. Getting her and either Torbo or Super charge her.

On a side note anyone know of some good articles on comparing the two? Please post thread or email to me.

• Sponsors (?)

The pricing is so high because of the *******s that bought the car originally for like $5000 over sticker price- just like people are doing for GT500's now.

I saw the same thing last year- most used '05s were outrageous. I remember one example very well, because the guy asked me to drive 6 HOURS to come see it. It was black with red leather interior and all options, including Shaker 1000 and such. It had 10,000 miles and they wanted $31000. I laughed so hard- then I went and bought my (then) brand new '06 premium with every option that I wanted- at sticker price for just under $28000.

tom281 said:
The pricing is so high because of the *******s that bought the car originally for like $5000 over sticker price- just like people are doing for GT500's now.

I saw the same thing last year- most used '05s were outrageous. I remember one example very well, because the guy asked me to drive 6 HOURS to come see it. It was black with red leather interior and all options, including Shaker 1000 and such. It had 10,000 miles and they wanted $31000. I laughed so hard- then I went and bought my (then) brand new '06 premium with every option that I wanted- at sticker price for just under $28000.

I came to the same conclusion about the prices.

I myself went looking at the used ones. I found one pretty close to home. It was a black '05 GT Premium with manual, charcoal leather, IUP, upgraded 17"wheels with 29K miles for $25,995. I got my brand new '06 with SABs, Shaker 1000, active anti-theft and auto for $27,700. Plus on the new car I got the 0/72 financing so it wasa definite no brainer!!!!

Sounds like it's impossible to please everyone.

The American auto companies, and especially Ford have been crucified over the past few years for the poor resale value of their vehicles.

So Ford finally has a vehicle, the 2005+ Mustang who's resale value is holding up and you guys are still complaining.

Saw an add for a new 2006 GT in today's paper at Lighthouse Ford in Falmouth MA. $5,500 off sticker. Drops the cost down too around $23,600 . Too bad it's an auto, otherwise I would have gone over to see how much lower they would go. Really prefer a 5spd.

Ford is screwing new car buyers who want to purchase a brand new or a used Mustang GT or Mustang V6.
When I purchased my 2001 Mustang GT "fully loaded" and brand new in 2001, I only paid $22,500 for it.
And when I purchased my 2002 V6 Mustang "fully loaded" and brand new in 2002, I only paid $18,100 for it.
Paying anything over $19,000-$20,000 for a brand new V6 Mustang or paying anything over $23,000-$24,000 for a brand new Mustang GT is just ridiculous. I am glad that I purchased both of my Mustangs when I did. I would NEVER pay over $20,000 for a brand new V6 Mustang and I would NEVER pay over $24,000 for a brand new Mustang GT.
Ford dealers are screwing consumers when they charge that much for a piece of metal.

YardSpecial said:
RED2001GT:

Yes, I got SO ripped off paying $28K for our GT :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't mean to cause a flame about this topic, but YES, I DO believe that the current 2006 and 2007 GT's and V6 Mustangs are all overpriced. It's ridiculous to spend $23,000 for a brand new V6 Mustang when just 2 and 3 years ago, these same cars were selling for $18,000 FULLY LOADED.
And the Mustang GT was selling for $23,000 FULLY LOADED. The price on BOTH the V6 Mustang and on the Mustang GT has increased tremendously since 2003 and 2004 which was not very long ago. And for the current overpricing of the Mustang, it's not like you are buying a car which is trouble-free either. These cars are NOT worth what Ford is asking for them. It would be nice for Ford to have $5,000 to $8,000 rebates on these particular cars. Then they will be worth buying. Until then, No thank you. I will keep my 2001 Mustang GT and my 2002 V6 Mustang.

RED2001GT said:
Ford is screwing new car buyers who want to purchase a brand new or a used Mustang GT or Mustang V6.
When I purchased my 2001 Mustang GT "fully loaded" and brand new in 2001, I only paid $22,500 for it.
And when I purchased my 2002 V6 Mustang "fully loaded" and brand new in 2002, I only paid $18,100 for it.
Paying anything over $19,000-$20,000 for a brand new V6 Mustang or paying anything over $23,000-$24,000 for a brand new Mustang GT is just ridiculous. I am glad that I purchased both of my Mustangs when I did. I would NEVER pay over $20,000 for a brand new V6 Mustang and I would NEVER pay over $24,000 for a brand new Mustang GT.
Ford dealers are screwing consumers when they charge that much for a piece of metal.

The 2005+ Mustang is an example of the marketplace at work.

Mustang sales by calander year (US only):
2002: 138,356
2003: 140,350
2004: 129,858

2005: 160,975
2006: 166,000 - projected sales for year, based on Jan - Aug sales.

Mustang sales for 2005 & 2006 are running 20% higher than 2003 - 2004. Therefore, it appears that customers are not objecting to the price of 2005-2006 Mustangs. Ford is selling virtually all the Stangs they can build and they are selling a higher percent of them to individuals (not fleets) which are higher profit sales.

But not only is Ford is selling 20% more Mustangs, they are charging more for them and making higher profits on them. I'd guess that Ford is making at least $2K more profit on each S197 Mustang than Ford did on the old SN-95 Stang. Ford has made a brilliant business move. Ford designed a car that customers want and customers are willing to pay more for. Isn't that what being in business is all about?

Ford Mustang customers don't have a choice. Mustang sales might be higher, but that means $hit. The consumers are STILL being raped by Ford on the current prices of these cars. These cars are STILL overpriced either way that you look at it.
That's why most current 2005-2007 Mustang owners are paying thru the nose on their car payments. And most Mustangs which are purchased today have 72 months of payments on them. That's a very long time to pay for a piece of metal which depreciates and which needs constant maintenance.

RED2001GT said:
Ford Mustang customers don't have a choice. Mustang sales might be higher, but that means $hit. The consumers are STILL being raped by Ford on the current prices of these cars. These cars are STILL overpriced either way that you look at it.
That's why most current 2005-2007 Mustang owners are paying thru the nose on their car payments. And most Mustangs which are purchased today have 72 months of payments on them. That's a very long time to pay for a piece of metal which depreciates and which needs constant maintenance.

WTF is your point ???

Cars I have sold:

01 Cobra
02 GT Vert
89 LX 5.0 Sport

Not one had any resale value at all, I just did not want those car in my retirement years.

So sold my 2 Stangs and bought a Honda, wife sold her Cobra and bought the 07 GT.

Fact is you can newer, ever buy a car and expect it to be worth more then you spent. Take 25+ years to get a return on a new car. SO drive it like you stole it and call it good !!

The ProFord