Using Pickle-fork cause damage?

I'm getting ready to do the granada front disc conversion on my 69 mustang.

I was told to use a Pickle-fork to seperate the tie rods and the spindle from the ball-joints. However my mustang restoration book tells me that using a PF will damage the dust boots, and that I should use a "C" shaped puller to remove them without damage.

The PFs are cheap and the puller is freaking expensive, but I don't want to damage anything so I'm not sure which one to get.

What do you guys use?

• Sponsors (?)

Hydrocarbon said:
I'm getting ready to do the granada front disc conversion on my 69 mustang.

I was told to use a Pickle-fork to seperate the tie rods and the spindle from the ball-joints. However my mustang restoration book tells me that using a PF will damage the dust boots, and that I should use a "C" shaped puller to remove them without damage.

The PFs are cheap and the puller is freaking expensive, but I don't want to damage anything so I'm not sure which one to get.

What do you guys use?

I always use the fork and replace the joints anyway so I am not concerened with damaging the boots, as new ones are always provided with the new components. If you do use the fork, make sure you use the right sized fork. There is one size for ball joints and another size for tie rod ends.

Using a PF will usually destroy the rubber seals around your rod-ends. I'm with Mongo on this though, replace them! Now is the time.

You can "rent" a PF from most local parts stores for free. This is particularly true if you buy your tie rods from them :D