VA TECH shooting today?????

One of the girls who died was a graduate from my high school in 2003 and was supposed to graduate in 2 weeks with a degreee in chem or something along those lines. I feel real bad for her family and the rest of the familes. Also i have a friend that said she had a couple of classes with the kid and she said that he was a kinda normal looking kid and she was also on the same floor as the shooting, she said she has never been so scarred in her life.

• Sponsors (?)

One of the girls who died was a graduate from my high school in 2003 and was supposed to graduate in 2 weeks with a degreee in chem or something along those lines. I feel real bad for her family and the rest of the familes. Also i have a friend that said she had a couple of classes with the kid and she said that he was a kinda normal looking kid and she was also on the same floor as the shooting, she said she has never been so scarred in her life.

Glad to hear @ least one is ok. Sorry to the other.

this is horrible, i live about 30-45 min from tech and my cousin goes there and about 15 people from my high school class go there, and i used to go up there all the time to party with my cousin, so this really hit home. i just dont understand why someone would want to go take so many innocent lives, for no reason. its just ****ed up.......

I feel so bad for those who died, and the worst part in my eyes, is the kid who did it killed himself. To me it seems like an easy get out of it card. Go and ruin soo many lives, and then you dont have to deal with it after.

Definately a huge tragedy!

Oh, boy. Here we go again ... Columbine all over again, and on a bigger scale. :nonono:

Aside from the obvious tragedy of so many lives being lost, the part that really gets me is that we're now going to have this year-long wave of politicians and/or lobbyists using this mess as a means of pushing their own agendas for any one of a bajillion things.

There's a bunch of rhetorical sparks launched by messes like this - issues like gun control, "disturbing writing" as a forewarning, immigrants, racism, police procedures, etc. - and the friggin' media is going to be more than happy to go throwing gallons of fuel onto it until each thing becomes a wayyyyyyy overblown issue that completely obscures the REAL tragedy at hand. Just watch. Tell me I'm wrong when I predict that we're going to see all of these new bills being drafted in Congress to put more limits on gun purchases and ownership, that so many people are going to be shifting blame away from the one, single, solitary homicidal psychopath responsible for these deaths so they can point their fingers at the campus counselors, the campus police, the other students for not being supportive or whatever of the killer beforehand, the media, video game makers, Hollywood, etc. IT'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT! ... or so pop culture would have everyone believe, anyway.

It happens. A guy is simply born with the genetic predisposition to be a psychopath, and at some point he finally makes that conscious decision to cross the line between being a functional nutcase in disguise to suddenly being a mass-murderer. What if he'd used shotguns instead of handguns? Should we ban ALL guns, then? Or, worse yet, what if his means of killing had been home-made explosives or chemical weapons? Then who do we blame? The manufacturers of those weapons' components, or the retailers, for making it too easily accessible? What if this dude did like that guy in Colorado and built a homemade tank out of a bulldozer, and started running over folks on the highway? Should we blame Caterpillar?

When nutjobs like this dude finally snap and make that decision that they want to kill off a bunch of people, they're going to find a way to do it, one way or another. We can't blame everyone else for the actions of one psychotic individual, and we certainly can't write out a set list of criteria for "sure-fire ways to spot a mass-murderer or serial killer in hiding" - nutjobs don't always WANT to be discovered, and they'll do their best to blend into society until their chosen moment to ... well, be nuts.

Not to compliment this dirtbag in any way, but really, homicidal maniacs usually tend to be of a higher intellectual capacity than the average Joe Blow, so they at least know better than to advertise their intentions well in advance. So, just because the dude happened to be an English major that wrote some creepy, weird, gory stuff about chainsaw- and hammer-wielding psychos doesn't mean we have to start concluding that everyone who writes anything even vaguely similar needs to be locked down, studied like a lab rat, and treated like they've already built up a stockpile of weapons with the intent to go on some kinda rampage. If that were the case, we'd already see the imprisonment and/or institutionalization of folks like Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Brian Lumley, John Saul ... hell, even myself, given some of the gory and creepy novel crap I've written over the years.

In short, we need to give these families the support they need, pick up the pieces, clean up the mess, and do what we can to get on with our lives in the aftermath without turning this thing into some kind of witchhunt or political Joe McCarthy-ish campaign against whatever. Of course ... that'll never happen. The media and politicians won't let us get on with life, not without raking this thing over the coals repeatedly for the next few months (or years), picking the scabs raw over and over to no end. But at least we can try ... or hope ... or at least wish. Right?

Oh, and on a side note, about 160 people we killed today in a series of suicide explosions around Baghdad. Not that anyone over here cares about that, of course...

Saw the rant video, myself, awhile ago on Consumption Junction. The guy talked so slow and low that he seemed like he was stoned out of his gourd on something. He was reading from his own notes with the same bland enthusiasm and loud mumbling that you hear kids in high school using when they have to read textbook passages aloud during class.

NOTE TO ALL FUTURE RAMPAGING PSYCHOPATHS: If you're going to make some kind of manifesto video to make a lame attempt to justify the how and why of your idiotic, homicidal actions, please keep in mind a few of the following points before recording and sending said video to a major news broadcasting studio:

1. Don't mumble. If whatever idiocy you have to say is sooooooo important that you have to torment the friends and family of those you've killed AFTER you and them are all dead, at least speak intelligibly and clearly enough to be heard and understood without the aid of an FBI crime video interpreter;
2. At least TRY to act excited. C'mon, you're about to do your grande finale, your psychotic whooptie-doo 15 minutes (or, in Cho's case, 2.5 hours) of infamy - show some enthusiasm! Because, jeez, nobody else in their right mind is bound to be excited about your crap as you clearly are;
3. Make your "artistic inspirations" more obvious to everyone by costuming yourself. Sure, it's only a matter of time before some stereotypical douchebag in the media or wherever makes the John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat connection between Cho's dual pistol glamour shots and some scenes from movies like, say, Hard Boiled, The Killer, Face/Off, A Better Tomorrow, A Better Tomorrow II, etc. etc. etc. ... Give the media something worthwhile to splash across the front page of their papers and websites! At least grow your hair out a little, don the round sunglasses and grey trenchcoat over designer business dress attire, and poke a toothpick or match between your lips. They're gonna try to make a scapegoat or two out of your antics, anyway, so you may as well make the references plainly obvious, right?
4. Rehearse your lines so that you don't have to read from your own cue cards. You're the lone psycho here, fella. You're the only one passionate about killing people for no good reason at all. At least show enough spunk and fervor to memorize your own BS excuses for committing a random atrocity.
5. Learn to edit your videos. It's terribly unprofessional to have your infamous final rant periodically interrupted by you having to reach behind the camera to switch it on and off between takes, while you re-sort your notecards (see #4), or hurriedly act like you're up to nothing when your flatmate walks in on you during your speech. At least edit out the portions between takes so that the entire production looks seamless ... or at least do it all in one take. Of course, make sure you destroy all of the outtakes, or people on the Internet will have a field day making fun of you when someone finds them, later on.
6. Learn to use a thesaurus, as it's very uncool to repeat yourself. Trite phrases like "raping my soul" sort of lose their dramatic impact when you use them two or three times within the brief length of one speech. (Ironically, Cho was an English major. If he hadn't been so busy planning his shooting spree, and had simply paid attention in class, he would've already known that...)
7. Just because you're a college student doesn't necessarily mean you have to dress like one. C'mon ... you're a raging nutbag, a looney with a mission. Dress the part. A backwards ball cap, khakis, and a backpack do not make for a memorable psycho, and nobody since 1988 has worn fingerless gloves to appear "cool." Also, halfway ripping off prior mass-murdering nutjobs' outfits is a total styling faux pas. (If you need costume ideas, refer to #3.)
8. Make sure you have the correct Zip Code BEFORE beginning your shooting spree, as delaying the delivery of your video sort of makes it lose its dramatic impact with the media ... unless you're going for the delayed shock thing. Oh, and stopping in the middle of your rampage to make a trip to FedEx is also probably not a smart move - duh, what if the cops stop you before you make it to the mailbox, dummy?
9. Especially if you're an English major, try to make your speech as concise and smoothly-flowing as possible. Simply recording random ranting ideas as you have them doesn't make for a cohesive message to the world. Nobody else knows WTF you're thinking by doing the crap you're about to do, so at least TRY to make them understand. (Even though 99.99% of the sane world will in no way agree that killing random, innocent people is in any way justifiable.)
10. Dude, it's 2007. Nobody uses VHS, anymore. Get modern, go digital. Make use of that $19 webcam you've been using for months to secretly nab voyeur videos of the chicks you've been stalking for years beforehand, and use it to record your "I'm gonna show them who's boss!" production. And hey, then you can just upload it to YouTube and wherever else in a matter of seconds with your campus WiFi connection and not have to worry about #8 at all!

It's 12:30am. I'm bored and annoyed. This is the crap I spew in such times. :D

(For the thin-skinned or misinterpretive, don't get your panties in a bunch and say I'm making light of this massacre. I'm not. It's a horrible mess, I agree, and my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims. But seriously ... it's hard NOT to berate and ridicule the self-righteous douchebag responsible for the whole mess. )

Oh, boy. Here we go again ... Columbine all over again, and on a bigger scale. :nonono:

Aside from the obvious tragedy of so many lives being lost, the part that really gets me is that we're now going to have this year-long wave of politicians and/or lobbyists using this mess as a means of pushing their own agendas for any one of a bajillion things.

There's a bunch of rhetorical sparks launched by messes like this - issues like gun control, "disturbing writing" as a forewarning, immigrants, racism, police procedures, etc. - and the friggin' media is going to be more than happy to go throwing gallons of fuel onto it until each thing becomes a wayyyyyyy overblown issue that completely obscures the REAL tragedy at hand. Just watch. Tell me I'm wrong when I predict that we're going to see all of these new bills being drafted in Congress to put more limits on gun purchases and ownership, that so many people are going to be shifting blame away from the one, single, solitary homicidal psychopath responsible for these deaths so they can point their fingers at the campus counselors, the campus police, the other students for not being supportive or whatever of the killer beforehand, the media, video game makers, Hollywood, etc. IT'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT! ... or so pop culture would have everyone believe, anyway.

It happens. A guy is simply born with the genetic predisposition to be a psychopath, and at some point he finally makes that conscious decision to cross the line between being a functional nutcase in disguise to suddenly being a mass-murderer. What if he'd used shotguns instead of handguns? Should we ban ALL guns, then? Or, worse yet, what if his means of killing had been home-made explosives or chemical weapons? Then who do we blame? The manufacturers of those weapons' components, or the retailers, for making it too easily accessible? What if this dude did like that guy in Colorado and built a homemade tank out of a bulldozer, and started running over folks on the highway? Should we blame Caterpillar?

When nutjobs like this dude finally snap and make that decision that they want to kill off a bunch of people, they're going to find a way to do it, one way or another. We can't blame everyone else for the actions of one psychotic individual, and we certainly can't write out a set list of criteria for "sure-fire ways to spot a mass-murderer or serial killer in hiding" - nutjobs don't always WANT to be discovered, and they'll do their best to blend into society until their chosen moment to ... well, be nuts.

Not to compliment this dirtbag in any way, but really, homicidal maniacs usually tend to be of a higher intellectual capacity than the average Joe Blow, so they at least know better than to advertise their intentions well in advance. So, just because the dude happened to be an English major that wrote some creepy, weird, gory stuff about chainsaw- and hammer-wielding psychos doesn't mean we have to start concluding that everyone who writes anything even vaguely similar needs to be locked down, studied like a lab rat, and treated like they've already built up a stockpile of weapons with the intent to go on some kinda rampage. If that were the case, we'd already see the imprisonment and/or institutionalization of folks like Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Brian Lumley, John Saul ... hell, even myself, given some of the gory and creepy novel crap I've written over the years.

In short, we need to give these families the support they need, pick up the pieces, clean up the mess, and do what we can to get on with our lives in the aftermath without turning this thing into some kind of witchhunt or political Joe McCarthy-ish campaign against whatever. Of course ... that'll never happen. The media and politicians won't let us get on with life, not without raking this thing over the coals repeatedly for the next few months (or years), picking the scabs raw over and over to no end. But at least we can try ... or hope ... or at least wish. Right?

Oh, and on a side note, about 160 people we killed today in a series of suicide explosions around Baghdad. Not that anyone over here cares about that, of course...

Saw the rant video, myself, awhile ago on Consumption Junction. The guy talked so slow and low that he seemed like he was stoned out of his gourd on something. He was reading from his own notes with the same bland enthusiasm and loud mumbling that you hear kids in high school using when they have to read textbook passages aloud during class.

NOTE TO ALL FUTURE RAMPAGING PSYCHOPATHS: If you're going to make some kind of manifesto video to make a lame attempt to justify the how and why of your idiotic, homicidal actions, please keep in mind a few of the following points before recording and sending said video to a major news broadcasting studio:

1. Don't mumble. If whatever idiocy you have to say is sooooooo important that you have to torment the friends and family of those you've killed AFTER you and them are all dead, at least speak intelligibly and clearly enough to be heard and understood without the aid of an FBI crime video interpreter;
2. At least TRY to act excited. C'mon, you're about to do your grande finale, your psychotic whooptie-doo 15 minutes (or, in Cho's case, 2.5 hours) of infamy - show some enthusiasm! Because, jeez, nobody else in their right mind is bound to be excited about your crap as you clearly are;
3. Make your "artistic inspirations" more obvious to everyone by costuming yourself. Sure, it's only a matter of time before some stereotypical douchebag in the media or wherever makes the John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat connection between Cho's dual pistol glamour shots and some scenes from movies like, say, Hard Boiled, The Killer, Face/Off, A Better Tomorrow, A Better Tomorrow II, etc. etc. etc. ... Give the media something worthwhile to splash across the front page of their papers and websites! At least grow your hair out a little, don the round sunglasses and grey trenchcoat over designer business dress attire, and poke a toothpick or match between your lips. They're gonna try to make a scapegoat or two out of your antics, anyway, so you may as well make the references plainly obvious, right?
4. Rehearse your lines so that you don't have to read from your own cue cards. You're the lone psycho here, fella. You're the only one passionate about killing people for no good reason at all. At least show enough spunk and fervor to memorize your own BS excuses for committing a random atrocity.
5. Learn to edit your videos. It's terribly unprofessional to have your infamous final rant periodically interrupted by you having to reach behind the camera to switch it on and off between takes, while you re-sort your notecards (see #4), or hurriedly act like you're up to nothing when your flatmate walks in on you during your speech. At least edit out the portions between takes so that the entire production looks seamless ... or at least do it all in one take. Of course, make sure you destroy all of the outtakes, or people on the Internet will have a field day making fun of you when someone finds them, later on.
6. Learn to use a thesaurus, as it's very uncool to repeat yourself. Trite phrases like "raping my soul" sort of lose their dramatic impact when you use them two or three times within the brief length of one speech. (Ironically, Cho was an English major. If he hadn't been so busy planning his shooting spree, and had simply paid attention in class, he would've already known that...)
7. Just because you're a college student doesn't necessarily mean you have to dress like one. C'mon ... you're a raging nutbag, a looney with a mission. Dress the part. A backwards ball cap, khakis, and a backpack do not make for a memorable psycho, and nobody since 1988 has worn fingerless gloves to appear "cool." Also, halfway ripping off prior mass-murdering nutjobs' outfits is a total styling faux pas. (If you need costume ideas, refer to #3.)
8. Make sure you have the correct Zip Code BEFORE beginning your shooting spree, as delaying the delivery of your video sort of makes it lose its dramatic impact with the media ... unless you're going for the delayed shock thing. Oh, and stopping in the middle of your rampage to make a trip to FedEx is also probably not a smart move - duh, what if the cops stop you before you make it to the mailbox, dummy?
9. Especially if you're an English major, try to make your speech as concise and smoothly-flowing as possible. Simply recording random ranting ideas as you have them doesn't make for a cohesive message to the world. Nobody else knows WTF you're thinking by doing the crap you're about to do, so at least TRY to make them understand. (Even though 99.99% of the sane world will in no way agree that killing random, innocent people is in any way justifiable.)
10. Dude, it's 2007. Nobody uses VHS, anymore. Get modern, go digital. Make use of that $19 webcam you've been using for months to secretly nab voyeur videos of the chicks you've been stalking for years beforehand, and use it to record your "I'm gonna show them who's boss!" production. And hey, then you can just upload it to YouTube and wherever else in a matter of seconds with your campus WiFi connection and not have to worry about #8 at all!

It's 12:30am. I'm bored and annoyed. This is the crap I spew in such times. :D

(For the thin-skinned or misinterpretive, don't get your panties in a bunch and say I'm making light of this massacre. I'm not. It's a horrible mess, I agree, and my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims. But seriously ... it's hard NOT to berate and ridicule the self-righteous douchebag responsible for the whole mess. )

:hail2: :nice:

Not that this has much relavence, but i got a random text mesage from a 405 area code saying it was a prayer chain for the VT students. i dont know anyone in oklahoma, and wonder if any of you got it as well... i wanna know how the hell they got my cell number.

Lists of phone numbers can be purchased for a nominal amount by pretty much anyone. You get X amount of numbers for X amount of dollars. Telemarketers trade them like baseball cards. I'm pretty sure that the telephone service provider companies get a cut of the finances involved, too, because they're the ones that provide the listings in the first place. How it isn't illegal for someone to call/text your with spam (or disguised spam) and thereby use up your limited supply of minutes/texts (that you pay for) is totally beyond me...