Vaccum Question

Georgie

Jul 13, 2005
Montreal, Canada
my smog pump was removed when i bought my car...and the coolant hoses for the egr have been bypasses(blocked off with a bolt and hose clamp).. the rear(firewall side) coolant hose blew two days ago and i replaced it..i broke one of the vacuum lines(their all brittle) while i was replacing it. anyways..i reinstalled it...can i remove some of these lines, cuz don't they have to do with the smog pump????????????????

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Research and find pics of what you wish to delete. I don't recommend deleting that kind of stuff, but knowing what one is removing helps.

It sounds like you're talkin about EGR vac lines, not A.I.R. pump plumbing.

Good luck.

well the erg vaccum lines r usually supposed to be connected to the smog pump..it pumps unburnt exausht gas back into the TB and those collant lines in the egr spacer r their to cool the unburnt exhaut gas ( so that its cooler than the engin temp...thats what i read in that book by Al edelbaum( 5.0 something...) im not a mechanic or anything...but i know my smog pump is gone and not comming back...so i want to eliminate the rest of its components.... anyways aftermarket TB and intakes dont even come with the collant lines...can i remover the egr valve??

From your description, it sounds like you have no idea of how the Thermactor Air System (smog pump) & EGR work. They are two different and separate sytems. I recommend that you learn the difference before you go removing stuff. Remove or disable the wrong thing and the computer goes into limp mode, reducing the engine performance.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo... and tech articles to go along with the book.