Valvertrain noise, loose rocker, port matching... need help from guys in the know!

• Sponsors (?)

The cam is trash, time to replace it. I'd take it all apart and clean it all and put new rings and bearings, oil pump as well.

If any metal got anywhere it could lead to an early failure. Be best to to a cheap rebuild...

Checked the cam, lobes look clean, really good. The cam is only 15,000 miles old, so I doubt it's trashed. The car got a new oil pump same time as the cam. It looks like the lifter just seized. When I roll the roller it's all rough and notchy to turn, like the trunion crapped the bed inside. I got everything done except for the upper intake. It was raining for the last hour and a half I was out there, and I got too cold and tired to keep working. I'll finish tomorrow after my lab practical up at school.

Rick- as much as I'd love to freshen the motor, I can't afford that. Also, I want to run the next two years with the block as is, because when I graduate I'm yanking it and transforming it into a 331 stroker with AFRs, a blower, and the works. I really don't want to put more money into a setup that I know isn't staying around forever.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd have wanted to put a degree wheel on, and a dial indicator, and compare that lobe to one of the other ones. Simply looking at the lobe, especially through the lifter hole, isn't a very reliable way to determine it's condition.

Having said that, I hope it goes back together and works for you.

Michael Yount said:
I think if I were in your shoes, I'd have wanted to put a degree wheel on, and a dial indicator, and compare that lobe to one of the other ones. Simply looking at the lobe, especially through the lifter hole, isn't a very reliable way to determine it's condition.

Having said that, I hope it goes back together and works for you.

I suggest that as well.... This will tell you exactly what is going on with that lobe before you assemble it all. You will need to remove the balancer and possible the water pump depending on the degree wheel you have or use, then seeing the numbers could be another issue.

For sure. Right now I am at school. I had my last Nursing theory lecture class two hours ago, thank god. Now I have to take my medmicro lab practical. The rain seems to have stopped outside, so hopefully when I get home I'll be able to bolt on the upper, get the dizzy cap and plug wires in, fill the radiator, and fire the beast for a few seconds. Once it's gotten all the coolant into the pan, I'll give it an oil change (it's second in three weeks, and oil ain't cheap when you use syntec blend...) and run it for a little while and see what happens. I lubed everything liberally when I put it back together so hopefully the startup will be fine.

Getting back to the whole gasket matching thing, I looked at the heads, and they are already the same size as a FelPro 1250, but the lower intake isn't. The lower could definitely use some porting action, but now that it's back on, I'm not pulling it again. Maybe over the summer I'll yank it and match the ports to a 1250, and port the runners a little. A friend has all the stuff to do it with, so opening up some airflow there can't hurt. I'm not going to touch the heads at all, because they're just fine for the next few years.

Well, I got it back together, and fired it up. For the first few seconds, it sounded really weird, but then it got to camming like it used to, only smoother than ever. I let it run for maybe a minute, then shut it down. In the morning, hopefully it won't be raining and I can change the oil and run it a little longer to make sure everything's ok. Then I'll take it out for the test drive of it's life.

Well, I changed the oil, and did everything else I needed to do to get it back up today. I let it run for about a half hour in the driveway, and everything sounded good. I burped the coolant, and just listened for any noises. After the half hour, I took it out for a drive. The throttle response was way better than before, and it felt really smooth. I hope everything stays cool with it now, and that something I messed up on doesn't show up.