viper t56 in 5.0 ?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure you'll need a 31(??) spline yoke and that driveshaft will need to be shortened/rebalanced. I also don't think that the t56 uses the same spline input shaft? So that'd mean atleast a new clutch disc aswell if that's true.

Does anyone know how to get the D&D stuff without buying a tranny from them???

Other then there custom made crossmember can you get the bell housing from somebody else? The guy on the phone said the Bellhousing was a "custom cast" I'm wondering if that is true.

I might have a lead on Viper spec trany for cheap but D&D told me they don't sell the swap stuff without the tranny! WTF?

Labora said:

Other then there custom made crossmember can you get the bell housing from somebody else? The guy on the phone said the Bellhousing was a "custom cast" I'm wondering if that is true.

I might have a lead on Viper spec trany for cheap but D&D told me they don't sell the swap stuff without the tranny! WTF?

Quick and dirty goole search, but, as this page shows, adaptations are not too hard to make yourself.

EDIT: grumble, the page doesn't auto pop up, so, in the "search page" field at the top, type in ""t56 dimensions" without the quotes ofcourse. the 3rd link down is what i attempted to link to.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/BorgWarner/t56pics.htm

Labora said:

From my personal experiences, all the guys I talked to at D&D were dicks. They act like they have some huge secret in puting the T56 in a 5.0 that no one else can figure out or fab up. They absolutely will not sell anything outside of the full kit, crossmember, crossmemember mounts, bellhousing, nothing!

I got a low mileage T56 from an 03 Cobra and pretty much built it to Viper spec and fabbed up evertying myself and my total costs for the whole swap including aluminum flywheel and Centerforce DF were less than $1500.

caseywan said:
From my personal experiences, all the guys I talked to at D&D were dicks. They act like they have some huge secret in puting the T56 in a 5.0 that no one else can figure out or fab up. They absolutely will not sell anything outside of the full kit, crossmember, crossmemember mounts, bellhousing, nothing!

I got a low mileage T56 from an 03 Cobra and pretty much built it to Viper spec and fabbed up evertying myself and my total costs for the whole swap including aluminum flywheel and Centerforce DF were less than $1500.
Hell yah, that is what I want to hear! :)

Anyhow I can fab a crossmember and mounts that is no sweat and my main concern is the bell housing and clutch setup (keeping the stock pressure plate for now would be nice).

Then just take my aluminum driveshaft to a shop here and have them cut it to length and change the yoke, exhaust portion is cake when you got a turbo guy helping out.

seijirou

Good stuff
millhouse
I see the adapter plate similar to what he linked to.

[FONT=&quot]caseywan? What exactly did you do for your bellhousing setup?? Use a adapter like this?? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MCL%2D8705%2D12&N=700+400374+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

Or is there a McLeod bell you can use without a adapter plate??
[/FONT]

*cross link for future searchs* (I bumped 2 topics on here and one for 94-95 yah they are diffrent but still can use the input) http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=666020&page=2

Labora said:
Or is there a McLeod bell you can use without a adapter plate

Look at the very top bellhousing in the link I posted earlier.

As far as D&D goes....they have helped me out with any questions I've had. When I was re-building my tranny I was struggling to find a shop that could/was willing to press off some bearings. I took them to D&D and they didn't even charge me. Considering I've never bought anything from them...I'd say they were more than helpful.

caseywan said:

Can you tell me about what you did with the input shaft? Did you swap yours, does the 03 cobra one just work? What about pilot/throwout bearings?

The one answer I have not been able to find is how standard t56 guts are. T5's for example have alot of different guts in them from car to car, so you can't necessarily just change an input shaft for your application. I can get my hands on an early 90's camaro t56 but i know the input shaft is wrong.

I could -maybe- use a chevy clutch disk with ford fly/pressure plate but i'm not 100% sure that'd work, plus I don't know that it will work with the pilot bearing etc. etc.

Since you managed a swap on your own I figured you might know some of this more detailed info.