Vortech Preparation

Dan95-5.0

Jun 14, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Well fellas, i think its finally time to take the big leap. I'm going to be ordering the Vortech V3 Kit this spring from Kurgan Motorsports. Curious what everyone recommends before the install.

I started building the car for plans on boost in the future so
Currently installed
ARP Head Studs
9333pt1 Head Gaskets
255 HI-pressure intank fuel pump
Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauge
Tweecer RT
FOX TB Conversion

Have but not installed yet:
LC-1 Wideband
90mm lightning MAF
Thunderbird Supercoupe PCV

I had plans on getting a Tuner kit but i think i'm going for the full kit now. I'll use the T-Rex, IGN box but just wont use the FMU but instead get some 42lb injectors from Kurgan at the same time. Sound GOOD?

anything else i'm missing?

thanks fellas

• Sponsors (?)

I'd skip the boost retard and the FMU and just have the car tuned. You won't need the fmu if you already run a rising rate regulator (if you have replaced the stock with a good aftermarket adj). I'd pick up a AFM power pipe too. The vortech intake is not only chinsy but is designed to accept your stock sized MAF....makes it a pain in the butt to work around and package with extra couplers and stuff. Plus you'll see an increase in boost and it looks 100x better.

You could run a 6al or otherwise just for improving spark; and if you are not having the car tuned; then I would suggest running the retard box. They should be able to remove timing accordingly at your dyno shop through the ecm. Mine asked to set the initial lower (10 BTDC) and they added/removed as nessesary.

ya that crappy ribbed pipe has to go too.

I actually forgot something on my list. I have a Fox TB conversion already so the elbow on the vortech is useless now. I'll have to convert my homemade CAI to work with the vortech and while I'm at it, i"ll make my own Powerpipe. why not right? LOL

Would it be a waste of time to ziptie all my Vac lines? I know its recomended on some of the turbo kits out there that i've seen.

You'll just use the upper discharge pipe from a fox. Those are actually nicer as you can get an aluminum one. The power pipe will be the same.

No, I'd zip tie the vac lines. I had a few issues with mine trying to toss some lines off. I figured it wouldnt be so bad as it's not THAT much boost (compared to my old turbo cars which i tied), but yea it's a good idea for sure.