Want to start your car without depressing the clutch?

Ever sense i've had a stick, i've wanted to be able to start it without the clutch in...don't ask why, I still don't know, ha. My buddy's Saab does it. So after looking through the Haynes manual, I found the clutch position switch. It sits on top of the clutch pedal and moves a plunger when the clutch is in, and it tells the computer that it's ok to send power everywhere it needs to be, and all that jazz, to start the car. The plug that plugs into into the switch only has two wires, if you splice a wire between them before the plug, then it will bypass the clutch position switch. I know it's bad and I could cause an accident, and yes, I do park in neutral, but I get enough lectures from teachers and parents, so please none on :SNSign: Just thought i'd share this with you guys, I think its pretty cool.

• Sponsors (?)

I park it in neutral too, but when I take it to the shop, they always park it in gear. I'd hate for 1 guy to park it in gear and walk away, another guy to step in and turn the key for whatever gd reason (with my luck, it would happen), and break ****.

Sure it's your car, and you can do what you want with it. But why this? All I can think is you got an itch to do some kind of custom modification to your car. Felt the need for some hands on activity.

What if its at the shop up high on a lift. Some kid climbs in to check something, and instead of just turning the key to On, he starts the car, and it jumps off the lift?

Only reason I ever even contemplated doing this was because of my clutch pedal adjuster not allowing the clutch pedal position switch to engage fully (it isn't solidly mounted so it moves around too much and doesn't always engage if the pedal is moved too far from stock position)...but I just said screw that and through it in the ol' parts box for use later.

My old 300ZX did this and it was great.... until I took it to a shop and they left it in gear. I started the car as usual and it almost jumped into a pole that was in front of me but didn't make it since the e-brake was on (thank god)... close call there.

I did this awhile ago, but only to activate my remote start. I put a switch in so I can disable it.

I've seen a manually shifted car w/ remote start jump into a store window before... The guy was shopping and didn't know the button was pushed while his keys were in his pocket.
This was while I worked at a car audio shop and one of our major competitors installed the alarm/remote start in the guys car. We had a new customer after that happened.

Clip them and I can see you being liable for any injuries that can come about a car started in gear. If you have the money to cover your rear, then go for it. Otherwise I say don't mess with it. If you want to bypass the clutch safety switch, you are lazy and might as well buy an automatic.

I'd say do it. People are taught that when they drive manuals they have to press the clutch pedal. I do it in cars that don't need the switch. If you don't know how to drive dont' turn on the car. Simple stuff. If the car that went through the window had the emergency brake on it wouldn't have happened. They also teach you in drivers edd to use your hand brake.

I have a toggle switch on mine :) Since I have remote start, I do leave it in neutral and hope to God that the e-brake holds.

I just flip the switch when I take it to the shop so that it doesn't start in gear accidentally.

Before, I used alligator clips to short the plug. If you can find a junked automatic, you can steal the plug from it and use it in your standard. I tried to get Ford to sell me the plug that goes up in there, but they wouldn't!!

If the car that went through the window had the emergency brake on it wouldn't have happened. They also teach you in drivers edd to use your hand brake.
True lies. Not all e-brakes are equal. Like mine, for instance...I haven't tried to remote start my car while it was in gear, but I am pretty sure that my e-brake wouldn't stop it from launching forward a couple of feet, if not further. :)

When the rain clears, I'll install my safety setup and document it for you guys to see how I'm going to eventually be safe about the in-gear remote start.